• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KTM 690 Enduro R

Or, you'll sip 690 koolaid, but guzzle the blue, yellow & white stuff.

20200609_172634.jpg

I do like white bikes more than orange bikes.

So are there years to avoid on the 690/701? Is there a certain year where they got everything kinda sussed out?

I think 14 is when a lot of the improvements were added and I believe are more desirable than earlier models.

16 had some minor improvements in terms of fueling and abs tuning.

2019 was the biggest jump

1597238919438.png

The 701 got the newer twin balance shaft motor in '17, the 690 got the newer design in '19. But only the 701 has the factory LR, long range, option.

Can you tell the difference between the smoothness of the 701 and non-balanced 690?
Yes, but I dont think it is that big a difference, Gina disagreed. :deal:

For the record, I bought a 19 SMCR and I love the thing, Way smooth lots of power everywhere and now that she has the dongle, stoppies too. I figured since it is a 690***R it would be ok to mention it here. Love mine, I have the Rottweiler intake, Tekmo exhaust, arrow can, PCV and the emissions stuff is removed, she is peppy. The seat concepts seat is a great improvement, I may try the KTM Enduro seat.

For the record, I bought a 19 SMCR and I love the thing, Way smooth lots of power everywhere and now that she has the dongle, stoppies too. I figured since it is a 690***R it would be ok to mention it here. Love mine, I have the Rottweiler intake, Tekmo exhaust, arrow can, PCV and the emissions stuff is removed, she is peppy. The seat concepts seat is a great improvement, I may try the KTM Enduro seat.

View attachment 271151
Can you put that in English?

Stoppie, front brake on, rear wheel in air. Dongle=KTM accessory to override ABS so the stoppie can occur and still have ABS on the front wheel.
Rottweiler intake is a big open filter replacing the stock restrictive air box=more air=more power if you add more fuel. PCV=Dynojet Power Commander 5 to fix the fueling. With more in we need more out, so I bought a Tekmo full Titanium Exhaust and an Arrow end can. The stock seat penalizes you for owning the bike, so I bought a Seat Concepts complete seat to extend ride time. Finally, I removed the Secondary Air System and the charcoal cannister and rerouted the hoses appropriately.

Hope that helps.

I do like white bikes more than orange bikes.

So are there years to avoid on the 690/701? Is there a certain year where they got everything kinda sussed out?
Oh dang, here we go. Im getting an image of a new horse in Jerretts stable.

Getting ready to do my first valve check. I might as well replace the rocker arms while I’m in there. Any preferred after market rockers that you guys use?

FYI.. lost my clutch pull last week while out on a ride. bike has 1800 miles. I've had a slave leak on me before, but it wasn't sudden. i still had partial clutch pull long enough to last all day & get me back to camp. W/ this, when it went out , i was done riding. the lever went limp, didn't retract out. that did sux...but I got to use my ama free towing. waiting for the wrecker on the side of the road in 110F is something everyone needs to experience once in their riding life.🤒 I can't say I wasn't warned, b/c a few months before, my buddy's 2019 690 also lost his clutch pull too, at 1500 miles. He mulled over getting it fixed under waranty, but he lost confidence w/ that stock unit & went w/ the oberon hi dollar slave unit instead. mine's out of warr, so i'm sol.

ktm apparently knows of this problem, b/c they now have a revised 690 slave piston kit, but it's
(a) $90!?

(b) it's on back order- warranty claims gets 1st dibs.

not trying to scare anyone, but if you have a 690 w/ that "SEAL" in your clutch slave, might want to look into this. :thumb:

Last edited:
FYI.. lost my clutch pull last week while out on a ride. bike has 1800 miles. I've had a slave leak on me before, but it wasn't sudden. i still had partial clutch pull long enough to last all day & get me back to camp. W/ this, when it went out , i was done riding. the lever went limp, didn't retract out. that did sux...but I got to use my ama free towing. waiting for the wrecker on the side of the road in 110F is something everyone needs to experience once in their riding life.🤒 I can't say I wasn't warned, b/c a few months before, my buddy's 2019 690 also lost his clutch pull too, at 1500 miles. He mulled over getting it fixed under waranty, but he lost confidence w/ that stock unit & went w/ the oberon hi dollar slave unit instead. mine's out of warr, so i'm sol.

ktm apparently knows of this problem, b/c they now have a revised 690 slave piston kit, but it's
(a) $90!?

not trying to scare anyone, but if you have a 690 w/ that "SEAL" in your clutch slave, might want to look into this. :thumb:
@PigTrail didn’t you have this issues in Colorado on your 690?

I'm pretty much sold on one of these but going to try to borrow one for the Juction ride in Nov.

(a) $90!?

Guess stock is Magura?

@Jarrett yes, it's a magura. But magura
clutches is NOT the problem b/c KTM 's been using magura clutches since 2000, yet there's none of this failing in the past.

what's different now is KTM's magura clutches is using a SEAL (vs. o-ring). This new (ie, square-ring) seal appears to be jumping out of its groove & getting twisted around to where a section of the seal lip is rolled over sideways instead of staying putt to form a tight seal against the slave cylinder. W/ an oring, if it did that, there's still some way for it to partially keep pressure. with this seal, if the lip of the seal gets rolled out of position, all the pressure is lost almost immediately. and that's what i experienced. one minute i had perfect clutch pull, the next, i had nothing.

some on advr said to just go back to the old o-ring setup. that's what i intend to do. I'm using y spare slave rebuild kit for my husaberg to get my 690 clutch working. And im going back to magura blood oil (mineral oil) instead of brake fluid.

Please post details of when you do this change Dao. We had a friend's 690 slave cylinder go out during the NMBDR. I think I'm going to upgrade mine preemptively before heading to Mexico again.

Reactions: Dao
I’m thinking I need one of those 701 LRs that have bee just announced for the US.

yea, that LR bike is one of a kind. That'd make a fantastic bike for big bend, where there's only like 3 gas stations out there and they're spread out 100 mi apart. perfect setup for bb and baja.

But honestly, i'm not too crazy about dropping the coin on an LR just for those places I'd ride but maybe 1 or 2 times a yr. the rest of the yr, i'd be lugging around a tanker. i think it's better to have a 701, and for that one or two LR trips, bolt on the 2 side ims tanks.

edit:
just saw this vid on how to service a LR air filter. :eek2::loco:

rade garage is going to make a killing on their aftermarket air filters w/ LR owners.

Last edited:
These seem interesting as well:

My buddies 501 lost the clutch the 2nd ride. Luckily we were in Trinidad and could get to an auto parts store. We rebuilt it using o-rings and almost 2 years later its never had a problem. We switched to DOT 5.1 fluid as well.

Please post details of when you do this change Dao. We had a friend's 690 slave cylinder go out during the NMBDR. I think I'm going to upgrade mine preemptively before heading to Mexico again.

I fixed my slave yesterday afternoon before i read this, so i don't have details except this RMC youtube was what i went off of, and it's very straightforward, super easy to r&r

what i can show is my old oem seal off my 690
IMG-20200902-091729.jpg

- replace that seal on the left while you can w/ a good old, tried and true, O-ring. if the oring rolls over, it's still works. if the seal rolls over, you're sol! :lol2:

Back