• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KTM 690 Enduro R

Reaction score
First Name
Byron
Last Name
Goodman
I just recently purchased a KTM 690 Enduro R to find a bike that could fill all of the voids of my riding. Let me first say my riding is broken down into 4 categories.

1. Motocross
2. Dual Sporting
3. Enduro / Trail Riding
4. Adventure

P7270096-1.jpg

For category 2, 3 and 4 this bike fills all three perfectly for me. Let me start out about the bike.

The KTM 690 Enduro R is a 65 horse power bike that was built for reliability not necessarily performance. I'm not saying its performance is weak, on the contrary, it performs outstanding.

P7280128-1.jpg

This bike performs so well its first outing was to North Forty MX track in Sherman Texas where it did great. I put 12 miles on it.

The following day, I packed everything in my panniers and rode to Colorado for West Fest to try my new bike out in the mountains.

IMG_0737.jpg

I had the oil changed and its first service done in Trinidad after riding TAT from Boise City.

The KTM/Touratech Luggage system works great as long as you keep the bike on stable terrain. (Dirt roads, pavement, etc). Once your in the woods crawling over rocks, I recommend you leave the bags some place else.

The bike has great power, even at altitude. I went over Mosquito Pass and the bike didn't skip a beat.

With the stock tires on the bike the front wants to wash out on tight turns. This was easily fixed when I put Dunlop 606's on it after about 1200 miles. This issue went away immediately.

The bike handles highway riding very well. At speeds around 80 mph there is some vibration, but I don't ride at those speeds unless I am on dirt.

If you are looking for a bike you can take to the trails, ride there to them, attend adventure rallies, keep up with the street bikes (and beat most of them) then this is the bike for you.

This fills the void the honda left with the XR650R with better technology.

The suspension on this bike is great. I had to dial it in, but no new springs or oil required. It is truly ready out the door. This is a nice change since every bike I have owned I have had to have the suspension rebuilt.

If you are looking a trail riding bike and adventure bike, this is the one for you. Don't get another bike.

This bike is replacing my BMW F800GS and my Yamaha WR450F. It is a consolidation. It does what both those bikes did even better.

I will update this more later.

i'd love to eventually replace the KLR with one of these. hows the reliability?

big thread over on ADV about the bike shows some issues with the fuel system, one poor bugger has been stranded every time he's gone on a trip, south america, mexico, colorado etc because of fueling issues.

Good to hear, after sitting on it and the 990 I found the 690 to be more my size with my short height. I've been thinking it might be my ideal adventure/ds bike that I'd like to own. I especially want one that does road miles well since living here in Dallas, there's so much road to get to the really good riding areas.

Replacing your BMW huh? That says a lot about the bike as it's certainly been on my drool list. I'll be looking for further reviews on the KTM as you put more miles on her. Maybe in a year or so I can find a nicely farkled used one that someone bought meaning to ride a lot and just sat in their garage and wants to unload cheap. :mrgreen:

Chris [Dirtrideroader] has one, well the non R version IIRC. He speaks very higly of it. He also sent off his seat and had it re-done, and it turned out REALLY nice, though I can't remember who did it.

It uses KTM's LC4 motor... probably the most reliable engine they have ever produced. I only have about 2k miles on it so nothing so far...

The front brake is the best brake I have ever had on any bike.

i'd love to eventually replace the KLR with one of these. hows the reliability?

big thread over on ADV about the bike shows some issues with the fuel system, one poor bugger has been stranded every time he's gone on a trip, south america, mexico, colorado etc because of fueling issues.

Like the bike. Very interesting!

So, tell me about the RANGE on a TANK of GAS.
Also, the seat looks really tiny. What about this issue?
:popcorn:

May have to go to the local KTM dealer and take a look. However, the above two issues may be a problem for me.

Last edited:
Like the bike. Very interesting!

So, tell me about the RANGE on a TANK of GAS.
I can't answer that one for you.

Also, the seat looks really tiny. What about this issue?
:popcorn:
The ever popular KTM 2X4, luckily Enduro Engineering has a cure for that.

May have to go to the local KTM dealer and take a look. However, the above too issues may be a problem for me.
Your local dealer is a very good one, if not the best one in business today to do business with. Chip is a one of a kind, I mail order all my parts from him.
Now the standard disclaimer.... I'm in no way associated with the dealer other than I purchase bikes and parts from them, YMMV.

Nice. Being in the market, so to speak, job pending, I was looking at the KTM website last night and decided that the Adventure, No R would fit me best(short inseam 30").

I'll be watching for future impressions.

Love your bike. Mine is a 2001 LC4 640 Enduro with very minor mods. It has a Supertrap IDS2 silencer and opened airbox with the carb rejetted from 142.5 to 157.5 main jet. It's a great bike, and the mods made all the difference in performance. I bought it last year from a guy who had only babied it, putting on only 3,000 miles in 7 years. It had to be brought back to life from being in storage, but it's been performing great. I plan on taking an adventure ride next year.

Regarding the headlight, mine uses a standard H4 bulb that you can get at any auto parts store. They make all kinds of upgraded versions of that bulb. I bought brighter on and popped it right in. Made a good deal of difference.

Very impressive, I like...but...
What is real world pricing for this beast? (almost afraid to ask)
KTM website doesn't even list MSRP, not a good sign.
Probably the deal breaker for me.

_

A quick google search shows the 2009 had an MSRP of $10498.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/2009/ktm/690_enduro/prices/05/index.html

The 2010 Enduro R MSRP is $10,298. SMS Racing in Denton has one. RPM Cycle in Farmers Branch has one. They have a tag on it that says $11,794 OTD. The put in freight at $495, dealer prep $150, I think. Couple other charges and tax to get to their sticker price.

I just bought one from Cycle Town South in Lancaster. He made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Substantially less than the number above. Substantially less.

While riding home from work tonight, my fuel gage told me I was on reserve at 135. I have so far only gone 20 miles on reserve a few months ago, I will not push it far past that. That day I filled up with 3.2 gals. The manual says it holds 3.4!

While riding home from work tonight, my fuel gage told me I was on reserve at 135. I have so far only gone 20 miles on reserve a few months ago, I will not push it far past that. That day I filled up with 3.2 gals. The manual says it holds 3.4!

OK, so how many gallons do you get to a tank of gas?

The 2010 Enduro R MSRP is $10,298. SMS Racing in Denton has one. RPM Cycle in Farmers Branch has one. They have a tag on it that says $11,794 OTD. The put in freight at $495, dealer prep $150, I think. Couple other charges and tax to get to their sticker price.

I just bought one from Cycle Town South in Lancaster. He made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Substantially less than the number above. Substantially less.

So how much is substantially less? That's why I asked earlier for "real world" pricing, not dealer tag prices but actual deals that have left the showroom.

_

I will usually go 120 to 130 when the fuel gage goes to res. & the low fuel light comes on. If I fill within a couple of miles I will usually put in 2.4 to 2.7. The time I went 20 mile after it came on was out near Sisterdale and it was that far to the nearest station. I try to keep it to 120 miles & fill. It gets somewhere in the 50mpg on county roads avg. about 50mph. Alittle less if on hwy or offroad.
I bought mine in Dec. 09 from TJ's in Austin. It was $9800 out the door. It was my 2nd bike from him in 2 years. He had to pick it up from another dealer since he had already sold his alotment for last year.

Hey guys I'd be interested to hear continuing reports as you put time on your bikes. :trust:

Actually, I just want to read and see (pictures) more KTM 690 pr0n. Really like the bike, trying to figure out how to get one...

Love my DR for what it cost and what it does, but I've taken it to the edge that it's suspension and weight allows.
885855897_koHjq-L.jpg

That's the edge? I've seen folks put waaaaaay more on the back of a DR. :mrgreen:

But yea, I'm all about the KTM 690 pr0n as well. Waiting on the used prices of those to match up with my discretionary fund. Don't ask, the fund is only at about $0.37 at the moment. But I figure if I keep adding, sooner or later they'll meet. :mrgreen:

Back