• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KTM 690 Enduro R

That's the edge? I've seen folks put waaaaaay more on the back of a DR. :mrgreen:

But yea, I'm all about the KTM 690 pr0n as well. Waiting on the used prices of those to match up with my discretionary fund. Don't ask, the fund is only at about $0.37 at the moment. But I figure if I keep adding, sooner or later they'll meet. :mrgreen:

Haha! I don't need more suspension for carrying stuff... although I did bust out the subframe under my middle rear fender bolt where the rack attaches on the way up ;-) I need more suspension because the DR flies just fine but she lands like a darned jumbo jet :lol2:

I was just going to be patient and not buy a new bike, but a gently used bike. Put out WTB on several sites, but I got my hit from the ADV board, a man PMed me and said he had an 08 with 2,400 miles on it, all stock, and sent a couple pictures, looked brand new. The only catch was it is in Nashville Tenn.
So on Memorial day weekend my wife and I sat out on a road trip and went to get the bike.Was well worth the trip the owner was a really great guy,and I got a great price, Bought the bike for 6,500 dollars, now I have money left to do a few farkles.:rider:

I haven't let distance get in the way of a good deal on a bike. I met a guy from Kalamazoo Mi halfway in St Louis for a trade, met a guy in Tennessee from the DC area for a trade, and just recently flew to KC to pick up my latest bike. It's always an adventure and I've met some really good people that way.

In town buys tend to be less personal usually.

this thread needs more pics :mrgreen:

Alright, it's not even mine (it's DFW Rider's ;-)). There were two of them on my trip, the one in the picture above and this one. Both were essentially brand new, so very few farkles although this one has the FMF pipe that you see. Ken have you farkled any further??

886472538_45sf7-M.jpg

Rally Management Services Kit

Yum?

BillV1.jpg

Kind of ugly.

Last edited:
:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

you guys are killing me

Justin, you have not seen this bike since the Jan. 2 ride. Added luggage racks from Touratech, Wolfman Luggage, IRC 110 tires. I liked it more with the knobbies but the rear one only lasted 2000 miles.

Bikes_017.jpg

It's a lowly '08 and therefore not an "R", but if you want 690 p0rn, I'm partial to these two shots:

Glamor shot in heels:

IMG_0509.JPG

Working shot in sneakers:

P5230030.JPG

Jeff mines just an 08 also,but I think they are just as sexy, not to mention they haul *****.:rofl::lol2::thumb:

So....why the 690 over a 535? Highway riding? 2-up?

For me I like the 650 class for dual sporting (I never 2-up and passenger peg brackets are only for securing camping gear:lol2:). They can run the highway with relative ease (cruise at 60-70 all day), and still have low end for some knarly climbing when needed. Seat height is an issue as I’m only a 32” inseam and my bikes are usually 34-36” seat height. Over the years I’ve learned to work the “one cheek lean”. :rofl:

IMHO, my XR650R was a 9.8 out of 10. If it had an electric start I'd still have it today. A bum knee requires a happy button these days so my options were the KLR650 (solid bike, but not capable enough off-road for my liking), Husky 610, BMW (too much $$$ to beat on), and the 690. I went with the KTM this time as I've always leaned towards more off-road talent than street, and a claimed 305#’s and 64hp caught my eye. :rider:

At first I thought I wanted a Husky 610, but couldn’t find one. The 690 was my other choice and I happened across one, even bought it out from Big A without knowing it:doh:. Looking back, I feel I made the right move for my preferences (wussy needing electric start) and riding style (a legend in my own mind:trust:). For me, it’s a big honking dirt bike with a license plate. If I wanted a race bike with a license plate, the 535 would have been ideal. My perception (which defines my reality:zen:), is that the 690 should need less rebuilds and work per hour of seat time than a race bike. Time will tell...

As mentioned elsewhere, the 2x4 they call a “seat” is a joke and the fuel range is paltry for getting too far from civilization. Easy fixes, but they do cost $$$. Still, , I’m tickled pink. Well, until something else catches my eye anyway…

To date mods to my bike:
Safari tank
GPS hardwired
Reconzzo seat (don't get suede fabric if you EVER ride in the wet, DAMHIK)
G-iT rear rack (from UK)
Billet brake pedal
Flatland skid plate
Phillips Xtreme H4 bulb
Black fenders, headlight bucket, fork guards
Giant Loop Mojavi or Coyote saddle bags (have both)
Giant Loop Fandango tank bag
Flash2Pass garage door opener (best farkle ever, on all my bikes!)

Justin, you have not seen this bike since the Jan. 2 ride. Added luggage racks from Touratech, Wolfman Luggage, IRC 110 tires. I liked it more with the knobbies but the rear one only lasted 2000 miles.

Bikes_017.jpg

:clap: Funny, I just saw that bike again yesterday looking through photos on the computer with my kid ;-)

Figure I'd update some of the issues and all with the bikes. I've got somewhere around 12K-13K miles on my 08 E (don't know for sure because of having to replace the gauge clusters twice) and I have to say it's been a bit of a love hate relationship.

To date I've had to replace 2 Gauge clusters, 3 air intake sensors, 2 radiators, 1 header, 2 tail light lenses, and 1 fuel pump all because of design/manufacturing flaws. It's also had numerous FI issues. All these problems with the exception of the header have happened to other people as well.

The clusters were changed when the R model came out. The radiator shroud rubs against the radiator and will eventually rub holes in it so you want to modify the shroud that doesn't happen. The air intake sensors harnesses are too short so the put undue stress on it, the fuel pumps are just junk. not a KTM part, it's a Delphi, but obviously not suited to the application.

Now then on to the other issues, you have to ditch the stock rear turn signals, the rear brake lever will bend way to easy so a lot of folks replace them. The stock exhaust can super heats, pretty much have to replace it with aftermarket if you want to keep from burning your flesh, boots, pants. Faulty tank bushings, fuel lines run so that they rub against frame bolts. A really hot running thermostat.

I think I covered most of the stuff.

Now the bike is one of, if not the most fun of any bike I've ever ridden, but it comes at a cost I guess.

Figure I'd update some of the issues and all with the bikes. I've got somewhere around 12K-13K miles on my 08 E (don't know for sure because of having to replace the gauge clusters twice) and I have to say it's been a bit of a love hate relationship.

To date I've had to replace 2 Gauge clusters, 3 air intake sensors, 2 radiators, 1 header, 2 tail light lenses, and 1 fuel pump all because of design/manufacturing flaws. It's also had numerous FI issues. All these problems with the exception of the header have happened to other people as well.

The clusters were changed when the R model came out. The radiator shroud rubs against the radiator and will eventually rub holes in it so you want to modify the shroud that doesn't happen. The air intake sensors harnesses are too short so the put undue stress on it, the fuel pumps are just junk. not a KTM part, it's a Delphi, but obviously not suited to the application.

Now then on to the other issues, you have to ditch the stock rear turn signals, the rear brake lever will bend way to easy so a lot of folks replace them. The stock exhaust can super heats, pretty much have to replace it with aftermarket if you want to keep from burning your flesh, boots, pants. Faulty tank bushings, fuel lines run so that they rub against frame bolts. A really hot running thermostat.

Now the bike is one of, if not the most fun of any bike I've ever ridden, but it comes at a cost I guess.

What year is your 690? And how about that turning radius as compared to the 525EX/C? I like to have knocked the bumper off my truck because I didn't realize the turning radius was so much bigger than the 525.

'08, and I know what you mean about that turning radius. :headbang:

What year is your 690? And how about that turning radius as compared to the 525EX/C? I like to have knocked the bumper off my truck because I didn't realize the turning radius was so much bigger than the 525.

Ouch, that's a buzz kill. Anybody know if KTM has addressed any of these issues (other than the gauge cluster?) on the later models??

Well, to add insult to injury. My FMF replacement header now has a hole in it. Waiting to hear back from FMF to see if they are gonna repair/replace the header. The one year warranty expires in 2 days. :lol2::lol2: Of course there's the down time having to send it off and wait for the return. :argh::argh:

ktmfmfheader1.jpg

ktmfmfheader2.jpg

Dude... :brainsnap

Is that just from a hot spot forming? :scratch: If so, that is REAL strange to have such a small localized hot spot in the middle of a long stretch of pipe unless perhaps there was something on the inside of the pipe protruding into the flow and concentrating the heat. Still amazing that it actually burst outward!! Did it happen suddenly or slowly?

There was a standoff welded to the pipe there. You can see another one on the right of the pic. I'm guessing a combination of bad welding and vibration caused it to tear out like that. This happened over time, the pipe probably has around 5K miles on it.

Back