• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KTM 690 Enduro R

...Hence the question how does it compare? They do not compare. The KTM is a beast compared to the TE630...

For power yes, well known the 690 has 5-10hp edge. I'm interested in everything else, handling, ride, gearing, revs at speed, EFI smoothness, etc. Did you ride the TE long enough and under enough different terrain to comment?

_

For power yes, well known the 690 has 5-10hp edge. I'm interested in everything else, handling, ride, gearing, revs at speed, EFI smoothness, etc. Did you ride the TE long enough and under enough different terrain to comment?

_

Handling and ride will take some time to evaluate. I'll need time to sort out the suspension. EFI smoothness will go to the KTM, easy call. Gearing? The KTM does seem a bit tall stock for slow work. Did I have the TE long enough to comment? That is a highly subjective question to answer. I have been riding since my early teens. Rode open class expert enduros and hare scrambles for a shop in Houston while going to college. Pretty sure I can evaluate a bike after a year of ownership.

How do you like that tank? Any issues?

I liked the tank, but it was just too much fuel for my local riding. I kept the tank because I want to do some longer rides on it.

Big A, I ordered my fuel pump, and timing chain adjuster last night. The pump is back ordered. You should have time to get healed up before I am ready to tackle it. I also ordered yet another rear tire too. Those **** things don't last on these big beasts. :rider:

...I have been riding since my early teens. Rode open class expert enduros and hare scrambles for a shop in Houston while going to college. Pretty sure I can evaluate a bike after a year of ownership.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't insinuating that in any way. just that I knew that between Roger and you that bike barely got over a thousand miles. that's not a lot of seat time.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

I liked the tank, but it was just too much fuel for my local riding. I kept the tank because I want to do some longer rides on it.

Big A, I ordered my fuel pump, and timing chain adjuster last night. The pump is back ordered. You should have time to get healed up before I am ready to tackle it. I also ordered yet another rear tire too. Those **** things don't last on these big beasts. :rider:

I don't have surgery until next month , so when your ready let me know, we can also mount the tire if you want

...I have been riding since my early teens. Rode open class expert enduros and hare scrambles for a shop in Houston while going to college. Pretty sure I can evaluate a bike after a year of ownership.

I wasn't insinuating that in any way. just that I knew that between Roger and you that bike barely got over a thousand miles. that's not a lot of seat time.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2[/QUOTE]

I did not take it that way. I did get the suspension dialed in on that bike fairly easily. Did some single track, dirt roads and brief stints on the highway. Power on the highway was disappointing. And as said before, the future of the company and parts availability was my main reason for selling the bike.

Last edited:
Like the bike. Very interesting!

So, tell me about the RANGE on a TANK of GAS.
Also, the seat looks really tiny. What about this issue?
:popcorn:

I get about 100 miles before I hit the .6 gallon reserve. This is a problem I'm gonna address with a 2-gallon rotopax and rack.

The seat is more comfortable than my old WR250R. I was surprised by that, given KTM's reputation of committing seat torture. Even so, I had to fit an Air Hawk pad for my daily commute. With the Air Hawk I can go extended distances in relative comfort.

Do any of you guys regularly commute on your 690? Any thoughts?

I've been commuting 60 miles a day. Perhaps not the best use for a $11k dirt bike, but I'm a one-bike guy. We'll see how this bike handles high mileage. So far so good.

Has anyone replaced the fuel tank bolts because of failure? Is it really necessary or just internet hype?

I think it's like the GS rear ends that are suppose to burst into flames and lock up. I have a 08 and the only thing I have done is when I replaced my fuel pump was replace all the grommets the bolts go through, on the 08 they are kind of soft, and the replacements are a harder material.

I get about 100 miles before I hit the .6 gallon reserve. This is a problem I'm gonna address with a 2-gallon rotopax and rack.

The seat is more comfortable than my old WR250R. I was surprised by that, given KTM's reputation of committing seat torture. Even so, I had to fit an Air Hawk pad for my daily commute. With the Air Hawk I can go extended distances in relative comfort.

Here's a pic:

DSCN5667.jpg

Has anyone replaced the fuel tank bolts because of failure? Is it really necessary or just internet hype?

I have replaced mine. I broke one of them in a crash in some sand in Colorado.
I have bought new bushings for the bottom of the tank. I am waiting on the new bottom bolts to replace them. I plan on replacing the upper bolts with the after market type bolts both to hopefully prevent them from breaking in the future and also to prevent the captive nuts from being an issue at some point in the future.

The problem with the factory bolts is how thin they are cut at the threads. That and they support the whole rear of the motorcycle.

Hi, I read this thread with interest as I have had a 690 enduro R for 3 years and no problems !!
I ride in South Africa where there are plenty dirt roads, in fact my 16k have been done almost entirely off road.
When ktm announced they weren't bringing out a 690 rally replica we, ktm Cape Town and I, decided to build our own!!!!
Here's a picture of it, 500kms range, wider seat, better wind protection, cHanged gearing for more top end on those boring bit of tar you occasionally have to do.
Speedweave

Reviving an old thread. Just picked up a 2011 model with 399 miles. I have only rode it about 20-30 miles so far and I am impressed. Power is great, front tire should last 10-15Kand rears maybe 1K? lol. Just ordered a new slip on. The nuclear reactor the factory puts on them is freaky hot! I have performed the radiator mod and will be doing the fuel line and fan mod this evening.

I obviously need to read more. I'm not sure what these mods are.

Chris [Dirtrideroader] has one, well the non R version IIRC. He speaks very higly of it. He also sent off his seat and had it re-done, and it turned out REALLY nice, though I can't remember who did it.

Renazco Racing is who redid the seat. They did a great job.
Only thing I'd do different is get the top material done in a waterproof material instead of the suede.

Can yall please weigh in a bit for me? I am casually searching for another bike, ended up selling mine about seven years ago (GSXR600). I don't want the sport bike anymore but want a dual sport. I have wanted an F800GS for the past few years but the price kept me from it. Now that I am getting more serious, I have been thinking of a KLR or WeeStrom. Then, I stumble across this 690 Enduro R.

I would probably ride the pavement the most but do live on a good size ranch and do like the thought of back roads (gravel and dirt included). I also want to take trips to Colorado, wheather I ride there or toat it there then ride. Other areas would be great too.

Initially I thought the twin engines would last longer. For example right now someone has a WeeStrom for sale that has 70K on it and I was told by guys that have them that it might could go another 70K. Then, I looked at the DRZ400 and have so far only seen them less than 20K miles. But, I hear of people taking the KLR across continents many times in it's life. Does anyone have experience with the 690 Enduro R at higher milage? Anything to think about when it gets to 50K?

If I get one I would want to get it for the long haul, that's why I ask. Then again, I see a new '13 F800GS for nearly the same price as a new '14 690 Enduro R.

Oh yea, I haven't seen what the stator puts out. Does anyone have extra lights, GPS, heated vests, etc. on this bike?

Thank you for any help given.

Does anyone have experience with the 690 Enduro R at higher milage? Anything to think about when it gets to 50K?

If I get one I would want to get it for the long haul, that's why I ask. Then again, I see a new '13 F800GS for nearly the same price as a new '14 690 Enduro R.

Oh yea, I haven't seen what the stator puts out. Does anyone have extra lights, GPS, heated vests, etc. on this bike?

Thank you for any help given.

Hey KD,

Here's a terrific article which addresses your stator question and others: ARTICLE

I currently have both GPS and supplementary lights hardwired to my 690 without issue. From what I've read on the 690enduro Forum, I should have enough juice left to run a single heated item. If you want to run a full heated vest, boots, gloves, and grips...you could run into problems.

I chose the 690 because I like to ride solo into rugged areas. I used to ride a WR250R. It was a great bike, but it just didn't have enough power to maintain speed on the interstate when I was loaded down. A GS, even the 800, is too heavy to ride into rough terrain alone (IMHO).

I'm more of an explorer than a racer, so I tend not to have spectacular crashes. But if you ride in mud, or sand, or rock gardens, you're going to drop your bike. As long as your bike is armored up, this isn't a problem...as long as you can pick the bike up. A single rider can pick up a GS if he has good footing and the bike is on a level surface. The only problem? That's NEVER where you dump it! You fall on an off-camber hill climb, or a muddy stream crossing, or...you get the picture.

That extra 150 pounds make a huge difference in where you can go. The 690 can go anywhere my old 250 could go, plus it has the power to manage freeway speeds. It's the perfect one-bike solution for me.

DSCN5586.jpg

Revival! I made a pocket book mistake last spring and bought a Tiger 800 instead of a 690. Bike is still too big and I am going to sell it and get a 690. They are pretty hard to find used locally, so I think I am getting a new one. I have a weird man/plastic crush on the Rally Raid bits so I fear for the credit card. Everyone still liking their set up? I have a few guys interested in a COBDR type ride for summer 2016. Hopefully some local Arkansas/Oklahoma in the mean time while I slowly build it out.

For some reason, I can't ignore this thread. I'd be a lot happier with my bikes if ya'll would just stop telling me that the 690 exists.

I get 55 to 60 Miles to the gallon on the Pro Setting. Everything else is stock, about 1800 miles 2014. If I could only have one bike this would be it. I bought mine in Montana last July. All my students that have had the chance to ride it love it.

Like most off-road capable bikes, it needs some ground clearance...I will repeat a quote I read on KTM or Thumper Talk...about the bike being too tall when I was learning about my 525 "Just learn how to ride it".

A friend of mine get his KTM690 enduro, and in the progress to make it become a real adventure bike.
He's looking for some option for the adventure windscreen.
Advice, anyone, please?

Back