• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KTM 790 Adventure R

What did that wheelset cost you if you don't mind sharing? PM me if you'd rather.
$1730. Talk to Cole and tell him I sent you. He will usually give a discount. I went with Haan Hubs instead of Talon. I'd never use EXCEL rims on my off road bike as they are the most stiff around. MX would be different. I was apprehensive about the weight of the 790 so that's what I went with. Nice to be able to have 1 set for street and one for off road.

I rode out there with a group last year and multiple bikes had the same problem.

The ones I heard about were a 1290 Super Adventure, an Africa Twin AS and my Tiger 1200. They all had similar issues by the time we got to Presidio. But it is the only time I've had any issue with the Tiger 1200. I opened the gas cap and got a little spew. I filled up with 93 in Presido and it didn't happen again.

Made me wonder if there is something going on with the gas out there.

You leave these hard bags at camp for the serious riding?
1d781f88873bfb9d89a50fade9a07dd3.jpg

You leave these hard bags at camp for the serious riding?View attachment 282858
For this trip I was able to drop the bags as camp was the same each night. However, for Adventure Palooza, I rode the bike loaded every day and did stuff just as bad if not worse.

The bike handles the weight just fine, it's just obviously easier to ride more technical stuff when you don't have the extra weight.

I also have a set of giant loop soft bags but they really don't hold as much so harder to do camping with them.

Yep...pros and cons to them but I mostly keep my feet on the pegs and commit to riding through whatever it is.. On a big bike, I typically only dab when I've lost all momentum and am about to fall over because I'm basically stopped and there's not much chance of getting rolled over when you aren't really moving.

I worry more about the bags hitting an obstacle I have cut too close and knocking me off line. It's obviously easier and safer without them, but sometimes it's just part of the adventure to ride loaded so you just adapt and adjust your riding to accommodate.

A good example of this was Palooza. We rode a 3 mile detour to avoid a pretty steep and loose rock climb that I would have tried it if not loaded but didn't feel comfortable trying while loaded.

Back