• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KTM 790 Adventure R

Yes sir, that area is pretty nice. Did a lap or two at the old Lake Whitney MX back in the day. East Texas is my Faaaaaaavorite...Ron, get that bigboy and say when.[emoji106]

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Wait, what...unused and impassable roads? Let's go!!!

If you're going to invest that amount of travel, why not just go to the Hill Country where the riding is better?

No clue! I don't know whats good, better or best! You guys can fill me in! I'm from N.C.!
You should hook up with the TARA folks for some of their Texas Hill Country rides when they start up again.

Definitely better than what we have up here in North Central Texas. We just ride the dirt roads we have in our area until we have the time to get to Arkansas or the Hill Country again. I've heard the dirt roads in Big Bend are nice as well, but that's like 9 hours away for me. I can get to some really nice dirt roads in OK/AR in half that time.

I've lived in Houston most of my life, been all over Texas racing MX, enduros and harescrambles. On the ET750 I saw some beautiful terrain I had no idea even existed here. Reminded me a bit of West Virginia. And I want to see if there's more of it.

It might have cooties
More worried about buying a bike for $7K today that I could buy for 5K in a month.

I wouldn't care as much if I was planning on riding it but losing money for it to sit in the garage seems silly.

That...and having some actual cash lying around doesn't seem like a bad thing right now.

We road some dirt roads north of Muenster yesterday. I rode my buddies new 790r. KTM hit a home run on that bike.

Felt so small the way the tank is situated. He was doing a test run fully loaded with his camping gear. I didn’t even notice the load.

If I wasn’t so happy with the AT and was still interested in the “manual clutch” “cave man” world I would buy one today. [emoji23] I am still convinced the DCT is the best thing ever for dirt riding.

The suspension felt really good as well.

However, it confirmed I don’t need the 790 and a AT. So still extremely content with the AT. That would be too much overlap.

He had the cruise and quick shifter installed. The QS seemed kinda of clunky between 4-5, never could get it into 6th. He felt something was wrong with the QS also. He had a GSA before so he knows how the QS should feel.

One of the riders didn’t fair so well:

3776507ee2f0e002ea69a37606308af4.jpg

58151c5eb0c7eeaee34b9a0aae34d0a3.jpg

Cause of crash was inexperienced on dirt and was going too fast. I was in the tail gunner position so I missed seeing the actual crash by about 30 seconds.

Bike appeared fine, seems to me like good engineering. Notice how the front wheel absorbed all the impact and just shattered.

What happened on the wreck? Looking at tire tracks, guessing that is an overcooked corner?

Rider ok? Was @MacDaddy in the vicinity?

Last edited by a moderator:
If I wasn’t so happy with the AT and was still interested in the “manual clutch” “cave man” world I would buy one today. [emoji23] I am still convinced the DCT is the best thing ever for dirt riding.

Glad you liked the 790. Definitely something wrong with his. My QS hits all the gears. Not as smoothly as my Triumphs, but pretty smoothly.

Feels like a little bike, huh?

They do make a Rekluse for it... And it works with the quickshifter, just sayin' :)

It's pretty much just like DCT in first gear, where I think DCT is really important in the dirt, but then you gotta use your foot to get to the rest of them after that.

I think if I had a DCT bike again, I'd like want to ride around in Manual mode now. I hate to admit it, but I kinda like to decide when the bike shifts now.

Glad you liked the 790. Definitely something wrong with his. My QS hits all the gears. Not as smoothly as my Triumphs, but pretty smoothly.

Feels like a little bike, huh?

What happened on the wreck? Looking at tire tracks, guessing that is an overcooked corner?

Rider ok? Was @MacDaddy in the vicinity?

Yep, overcooked corner. Abs let him go smooth into the fence. The wee strom was still in 3rd gear.

The only time I turn my traction control off is if I am in the mountains on loose rock. The guys laugh at me because I hardly ever use my brakes on dirt. I always use the transmission when coming into turns.

The 790 felt small from the rider vantage point because of the tank. It is an awesome bike no doubt about that!

The ABS on my Strom almost sent me into those pasture fences several times. So happy the Scrambler has off-road mode!

I have overcooked, to well done some corners (4 ocassions for sure) on my Strom but I feel like the ABS has saved my bacon. I guess I've just learned the ways of the ABS.

Jarrett, just like you riding with mac daddy I learned to get on the brakes hard chasing Sander around the hill country. Red Alert, BRAKES BRAKES BRAKES!

That had to be quite a hit. I've had some that have rattled my dentures too. Amazing how much that suzuki can take. I'm glad the rider wasn't hurt.

I nearly crashed my V Strom 650 on a steep downhill gravel road at less than 15 mph. It kept bumping the breaks and sliding, what saved me was letting off breaks and steering left of the wash out. I really just wanted to slow down and then steer around wash out. I like ABS on pavement and level gravel. Downhill loose gravel I won't run it with ABS on my DL1000 adventure. The adventure is stopping :rider: the piglet or should I say hoglet. On pavement she is sooo-e smooth.
I know how to pull fuse to disable ABS on the ZUKS.

The ABS on my Strom almost sent me into those pasture fences several times. So happy the Scrambler has off-road mode!
I went off the outside of a gravel sweeper on my GS when I forgot to disable the ABS, it just kept cycling the brakes but not slowing down, very scary.

I went off the outside of a gravel sweeper on my GS when I forgot to disable the ABS, it just kept cycling the brakes but not slowing down, very scary.
I've watched that happen a couple times. Very scary indeed. It gives me pause with the ABS on my Africa Twin, but I've yet to have an issue with the front. I can turn the rear ABS off, but not the front. Still, it'll stop fine on gravel, even when I'm getting on it hard. I hope to never have that issue. If I ever do, I'll forcibly remove the ABS components from the bike!

As long as you can turn the rear off you are good. It's the bikes like the Strom that don't have off road mode that you have to watch out for.

Jarrett, just like you riding with mac daddy I learned to get on the brakes hard chasing Sander around the hill country. Red Alert, BRAKES BRAKES BRAKES!

I've learned this cool technique for when riding with @MacDaddy off pavement.

It's called Slow The F*** Down. I couple that with another technique I like to call Ride Your Own Ride.

Pairing these two techniques works great and has greatly reduced the amount of crashes I've had in these situations.

Back