• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KTM 790 preview

I do wonder about the shaft/chain thing and preferences around it.

My VFR has shaft drive and also seems to have what's called "shaft jack" that my other bikes don't have. But I don't have to clean it every 600 miles either.

Yep, I don’t get the anti chain thing. I put 20k miles on the twin and all I had to do was re fill the auto Oiler about 3 times. Never touched the chain:) same thing with the nc700.

I actually think the dct helps the chain since your not popping a clutch.

It takes me longer to change the rear end oil on my wing.

I can replace the chain and sprockets about every 30k miles for $150.

I do like knowing if it breaks I can find a chain anywhere. It wouldn’t be a trip ender.

But I think no matter the bike it comes down to the rider.

New guy on the 1190 experienced older guy on twin.

I really enjoyed this video:

I had to replace the stock chain on my bike near 6,000 miles, it was ****. Not sure if just a bad/cheap chain that came stock or I somehow mistreated it. I cleaned and lubed it, although it sometimes took me a while to do it. New chain is being properly cared for. Surprised some here take minimal care of the chains.

?? just a chain, lol

Scott nails it:
I don't lube/clean my KTM's chain. I try not to let it sit with water on it so it doesn't rust, but other than that, I do nothing. Chain wax/lube just causes dirt to stick to the chain, which then acts like an abrasive and tears up the O-rings faster (which is also what rust does). The whole point of an O-ring chain is that it already has the lube where it is needed. The key to long life is keeping the O-rings intact.
Little WD40 for rust protection.

Last edited:
Back