• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KTM high milage

Mileage wouldn't scare me. Lots of nice extras included. Price is obo.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Regarding that particular bike, bottom end will last the life of the bike probably and the piston/rings at 400 hour still has another 400 to go. Valve train also will last forever. That is how tough they are, assuming decent maintenance and upkeep. Also assuming it was used as a dual sport and not thoroughly abused.

I'd say price is not bad as a start point and at least he put OBO.

You have a lot of faith in it, impressive! Guess I'm wrong, good to know.

This is good info for me. I shouldn't ever need to replace mine.

This is good info for me. I shouldn't ever need to replace mine.
That is good news, but looking at the pictures and knowing what's out there, I couldn't give that price. Who knows what the OBO might end up being. Could be a great deal, I'm not good at haggling. Also wonder if any trouble getting Tx title from New York expired tags. Probably not but.

You have a lot of faith in it, impressive! Guess I'm wrong, good to know.
I though the KTM’s race engines (This is the engine from the 450?) had a service interval from the factory....
does this engine have the mechanical time chain tensioner?

That is good news, but looking at the pictures and knowing what's out there, I couldn't give that price. Who knows what the OBO might end up being. Could be a great deal, I'm not good at haggling. Also wonder if any trouble getting Tx title from New York expired tags. Probably not but.
I am of the same mind, at 10K on a bike like that I want a DEAL!

Regarding that particular bike, bottom end will last the life of the bike probably and the piston/rings at 400 hour still has another 400 to go. Valve train also will last forever. That is how tough they are, assuming decent maintenance and upkeep. Also assuming it was used as a dual sport and not thoroughly abused.

I'd say price is not bad as a start point and at least he put OBO.
I hear those engine are very durable but what does "life of the bike" mean. Is that engine still basically unchanged and in use currently? My use would be DS only. Thanks.

How many tanks have you ran through your husky in the last five years. LOL
Two tanks less than you. Lol
But I bought it 9 years and 16k miles ago not 2 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I hear those engine are very durable but what does "life of the bike" mean. Is that engine still basically unchanged and in use currently? My use would be DS only. Thanks.
That was probably too general of a statement but, regarding this particular style of bike, I would wager that most won't ever even get ridden 800 hours, hence the life of bike statement. That being said, dual sport use under stresses these bikes and they will run a loooong time.

My 2013 KTM 450SX has over 200 hours. This last year my son has raced it. I raced it before that and it has been the opposite of dual sported, ha. It is all original and the valves have never even moved. The 500 that we are talking about is very similar to my 450, except it has heavier duty engine parts--a more robust piston, heavier crank, lower compression, etc.

Off topic to this conversation, but my riding buddy has a 2015 KTM 300 xcw two stoke with over 700 hours. Original bottom end never touched, only one piston and ring change, original clutch too.

And, I do agree with Woodsguy that 400 hours is a lot of hours. At that point it really depends on how it was taken care of. It could be worn out or it could go a long time still.

Last edited:
Off topic to this conversation, but my riding buddy has a 2015 KTM 300 xcw two stoke with over 700 hours. Original bottom end never touched, only one piston and ring change, original clutch too.
Now that is impressive!! I imagine a lot of bikes are rebuilt "just because". In the old days was probably necessary but here new bikes are probably a lot better than I give them credit for. I had a 2008 YZ 450 with a story like your 450sx. I bought used after a season, I used and raced it one season then my son for many years. And once it got to him it didn't get much love and still ran and ran. We guessed 300 to 400 hours. 1 valve had to be replaced for some reason, I forget. But my mechanic friend check piston twice while my son had it, just said there was no reason to replace it.

The guy that wrote the article is on a rtw trip on one he just built also. They’re pretty amazing machines!

As others have said, nothing wrong with the bike other than the price. NOS 2020 500 XCFs can be had for around $8k from what I've seen, that's the route I would go. Are there any issues plating offroad titled bikes in Texas?

Last edited:
Speaking of high mileage ....

Thoughts?

400 hours is alot for a un-rebuilt 4 stroke single. Regardless of make

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Yes, and if it's a 500EXC it should be ready for its 3rd "top-end job" if it has NOT been raced (i.e., "used for motorsports") or 6th if it has been. Note the items to be Changed at 70 or 135hrs, depending on use.
(sorry about the font size, couldn't figure out how to make it larger)

1600057364944.png

Yes, and if it's a 500EXC it should be ready for its 3rd "top-end job" if it has NOT been raced (i.e., "used for motorsports") or 6th if it has been. Note the items to be Changed at 70 or 135hrs, depending on use.
(sorry about the font size, couldn't figure out how to make it larger)

View attachment 273420
It aggravates me when people avoid doing said maintenance, then they blame the bike for being unreliable!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Back