• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KTM Thumper Discussion

that is a little downhill but you have a 90 deg turn at the bottom you cant see but you have to drop and turn at the same time

I just hopped off and dragged it down, my brain refuses to ride though it

bike has no problems, rider not so much :mrgreen:

that is a little downhill but you have a 90 deg turn at the bottom you cant see but you have to drop and turn at the same time

I just hopped off and dragged it down, my brain refuses to ride though it

bike has no problems, rider not so much :mrgreen:

Huh? Drag the rear and throw that ***** into the corner. Theres nothing at HF's trails that cant be ridden.

Looking at purchasing a skid plate and pipe guard for my 250 XC-W. I have an EE aluminum skid plate on the Husaberg but have been looking seriously at the TM Designworks plastic skid plate for the 2 stroke. Anyone have pro's and con's on each or any experience with the "plastic" skid plates?

Also, any input between the metal and carbon fiber pipe guards would be helpful.

Looking at purchasing a skid plate and pipe guard for my 250 XC-W. I have an EE aluminum skid plate on the Husaberg but have been looking seriously at the TM Designworks plastic skid plate for the 2 stroke. Anyone have pro's and con's on each or any experience with the "plastic" skid plates?

Also, any input between the metal and carbon fiber pipe guards would be helpful.

On 4T's I prefer the plastic/composite skid plates because they don't resonate the sound back up to the rider like the aluminum ones do. I run aluminum on the 2T's and don't notice the noise like on the 4T's. I have a EE carbon fibre pipe guard on my 200 and it's taken more soil samples than I care to remember, with no damage to the pipe.

On 4T's I prefer the plastic/composite skid plates because they don't resonate the sound back up to the rider like the aluminum ones do. I run aluminum on the 2T's and don't notice the noise like on the 4T's. I have a EE carbon fibre pipe guard on my 200 and it's taken more soil samples than I care to remember, with no damage to the pipe.

Ive still got the hard parts plastic one from 06 on mine.

PM me sometime Trice, we will have a go at the 4WD roads out at Hidden Falls. That way nothing in Baja will bother you. :flip: Then we can talk orange koolaid.
Congratulations, looks like a great bike for traveling in all the remote places you like to frequent. And with the right gearing, it will surely out run the banditos looking for an easy score.
I think LuLu is coming up for an Easter weekend ride, perhaps you could join us. Lots of orange will be there. Maybe we can get Coolhand to join us too. :thumb:

Sam

Ouchy... that would be a long commute. :trust: There is a remote possibility I may end up in Wyoming, and I could put together some *epic* stuff up there for you guys :)

Beauty and the Best from my after-work ride last Thursday...
i-68QWFs9-L.jpg

Ouchy... that would be a long commute. :trust: There is a remote possibility I may end up in Wyoming, and I could put together some *epic* stuff up there for you guys :)

Beauty and the Best from my after-work ride last Thursday...
i-68QWFs9-L.jpg

So which is the KLR.....the Beauty or the Best? :lol2:

That'll teach me to post while half asleep... intended Beauty and the Beast, honest.

I just realized.... why is Mark creeping around in the Orange Forum anyway??? Is there something you need to tell us Mark? :lol2:

What'd you call me? :lol2: Just livin' vicariously watching you hotrods on your race bikes......:sun:

Mark is scheming. :ponder: He has tasted the Koolaid, now he has been to the Bend. It soon will overcome his rational thinking and he will lust for the orange siren.

Can you hear it, Mark? No sense covering your ears, it's in your head already, getting louder and louder. :nono:

Soon you will be hanging out at TJ's and Munn's. You can sit on them Mark, but it's not the same, You Must Own It. :drool: It's calling to you, You must obey.

Just Look at Electrified, not only an orange bike, but he jumped off into the Smoker Orange Bike pond. The Deep End. :thumb:

And another good example, Tricepilot, a known street and KLR dirt roads rider. Went to the Bend and now has an Orange mistress. :deal: Trice will soon be making dust on Mexico's roads headed for out-of-the-way cantina's on the ocean front.

Come to the Orange Side, Mark. The Orange is strong, feel it flow thur you, it's everywhere, Join us Mark, Join us Now! :hail:

Sam

Mark puts miles of smiles on that klr. He'd have to change the engine oil (and the trans oil) twice on one of his normal rides and change the fork oil every other.

Yeah, I was going for "what would Darth Kraftfahrzeuge say". :shrug: :nana:

I liked it!! :deal:
It put a smile on my face.......and told me that my friend knows me deep down....I'd LOVE one but I've gotta get my wife happy on a bike first.....:sun:

Okay, techie question.

:tab My 530 has been shamefully sitting up, not started once since the end of last August :oops: I had not even rejetted it for local conditions. Anyway, I pulled the carb, cleaned it real good, and got the right jetting in place. My idle setting got changed though.

:tab I have the carb off right now. I want to know where to set the idle as a starting point. Should I turn the idle knob until the slide bottoms out? Or should I set it higher? With the intake side bottomed out, the exit side looks like it is completely closed. I can't see how ANY air/fuel could get through at that setting... :scratch:

You should have some gap; I try to start with a thickness of a ball point pin (about .040) in the center. Once started, I can adjust up or down. Now this brings up a question in my head :ponder: 530's don't like too much air (i.e. open the throttle during cranking) or the starter is put under too much strain. It may be better to error on the low side, then it may try to flood, but you can crack the throttle if you believe this is happening, rather than being to far open and causing the starter to have a :nono:. They are so touchy about idle jetting, it is tough to say. I did not pull out the idle stop when I cleaned Mrs. C's carb last month. So I have no real experience to tell you, but I still feel if you allow the thickness of a 6 in. zip ty (which is about .030) for an air gap, you should be close.

Let us know what happens. :popcorn:
Sam

:tab A guy on Advrider suggested a gap on the engine side of .054 (just under a 1/16" of an inch) as a starting point. Said it worked for him.

While looking for specs on the internet, I noticed specs show the pre-2007 KTM seat heights are much lower, like 36.6" for KTM 400exc. While all 2013 KTM are like 38+".

Is this right? Or did KTM just started measuring differently?

:tab A guy on Advrider suggested a gap on the engine side of .054 (just under a 1/16" of an inch) as a starting point. Said it worked for him.

That could be a good starting point. I have not tried to set the slide opening before installing to carb. I just didn't want to tell you a measurement that might caused the starter to have a cow. :doh: Let us know what happens.

Sam

Too little and it won't start. Too much and it revs to the moon.

I know where the kill button and the idle screw is, and on which side I would err.

When my CRF was brand new to me it had been sitting for 2 years (full of fuel) with jetting for Cloudcroft. I cleaned the carb very well and had one heck of a time getting it started. I finally raised the idle, it started right up and I set the idle where it should be.

depends on the day/ altitude anyways let it move up a little an play with it.

Set idle once up to temp.
Easy peezy

Back