• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KTM Thumper Discussion

:tab Right now I am just looking for an idle setting that will simply get the engine running, not fine tuning the idle once running. I'll worry about that next ;-)

I usually just set the screw so the slide will close all the way. Then I crack the throttle with my hand and start the bike. Once the bike starts to warm up I hold the throttle where I want it or a little less, then screw in the screw untill it takes over.

I usually just set the screw so the slide will close all the way. Then I crack the throttle with my hand and start the bike. Once the bike starts to warm up I hold the throttle where I want it or a little less, then screw in the screw untill it takes over.

:thumbup:

:tab Right now I am just looking for an idle setting that will simply get the engine running, not fine tuning the idle once running. I'll worry about that next ;-)

Scott.....I usually set the idle so when I am trail riding, the bike doesn't want to stall to easily. You really shouldn't have to reset the idle to get it to start easily. You can barely crack the throttle open to get air/fuel in there if need be.....like when you are trying to restart it when its hot.

IT LIVES!! :dude:

So after pulling the carb several times, the last time was a charm. I recleaned all the jets and ports on the carb. I also lowered the needled by two clip positions. I had it set for the hot/humid conditions per the JD kit instructions, but that was way too rich.

I got it all back together and it fired right up! I let it warm up a few minutes and slowed the idle a tad bit. Then I hit the back yard to chase Daniel on his TTR50. He loves it when I ride with him.

Hopefully the new Rox risers will be here mid week so I can get them installed before the ARI class in Splendora next weekend.

Well, well, well. Look what FEDEx dropped off while I was gettin dirty down at Hidden Falls. Can't wait till I have enough free time to get these mounted up...
and yes, that is a doggy nightlight between them... you got a problem with that?!?
Warp9_zps62a4f947.jpg

Just found out that bib mousse comes in one flavor: chocolate :lol2:

:tab My 530 had one in the front tire when I bought it. I ran it while riding out at the BBRSP, and then took it out. It is the equivalent of having 15 psi in the tire. With all the rocks, and the speed we were running, it felt like it was beating my rim to death. I like the feel of a tube much better. I might be more interested in running one in the rear tire. I don't think I have ever had a flat in the front, only the rear. Not saying it can't happen, just that it doesn't seem to as often as the rear.

:tab My 530 had one in the front tire when I bought it. I ran it while riding out at the BBRSP, and then took it out. It is the equivalent of having 15 psi in the tire. With all the rocks, and the speed we were running, it felt like it was beating my rim to death. I like the feel of a tube much better. I might be more interested in running one in the rear tire. I don't think I have ever had a flat in the front, only the rear. Not saying it can't happen, just that it doesn't seem to as often as the rear.

I think your PSI estimate is a bit high.

Most of the reading I've done today talks about 8 PSI, with 12 if the bib is slightly larger than the carcass of the tire.

And, apparently, bibs shrink fairly quickly, naturally, and more so with heat and use. If you bought the bike with the bib in the front, no telling how long it was there, when it was installed, or how hard it got beat down. Not to mention high speed runs on pavement (heat) will quickly wear it down.

So, in other words, you may not have had a fair trial.

But what do I know, I'm a bib rookie in training.

Edit: here's the LINK talking about 8 PSI

Another note: Tim Morton from Baja Bound tours runs bibs only in front tires, and only heavy duty tubes in the rear (at 15 PSI). A bit opposite from your inclination. I'm on his Sept Tecate to Cabo tour thus the reason I'm trying to get the KTM set up per his instruction sheet.

Last edited:
Well, well, well. Look what FEDEx dropped off while I was gettin dirty down at Hidden Falls. Can't wait till I have enough free time to get these mounted up...
and yes, that is a doggy nightlight between them... you got a problem with that?!?
Warp9_zps62a4f947.jpg

Those would look so good on my 690. Please do give details.

Sam

I think your PSI estimate is a bit high.

Most of the reading I've done today talks about 8 PSI, with 12 if the bib is slightly larger than the carcass of the tire.

And, apparently, bibs shrink fairly quickly, naturally, and more so with heat and use. If you bought the bike with the bib in the front, no telling how long it was there, when it was installed, or how hard it got beat down. Not to mention high speed runs on pavement (heat) will quickly wear it down.

So, in other words, you may not have had a fair trial.

But what do I know, I'm a bib rookie in training.

Edit: here's the LINK talking about 8 PSI
:tab What you say about use and wear is true. So I can't really say what a new one would be like. But they are expensive. My bike had maybe 2300 miles on it when I got it and I don't think the bib was in there the whole time. For the price, I would hope they would last a bit longer as I cannot afford to replace them every couple hundred miles.

:tab I assume you are installing one, so I look forward to hearing your thoughts after you have had some time with it in there, especially if you ride anything really rocky.

Those would look so good on my 690. Please do give details.

Sam

I will for sure Sam, but from a fellow with a 500 and these wheels, he said "you have a choice of which wheel you want to be on, either the front or the back". I believe it too, that front rotor reminds me of my Buell Uly.
May try to tackle the first transition tomorrow. Take her back to 15/45 and see how she goes!

I assume you are installing one, so I look forward to hearing your thoughts after you have had some time with it in there, especially if you ride anything really rocky.

Yes, like 1,700 miles Tecate to Cabo San Lucas Sept 25 to Oct 3 :lol2:

Sam the Man is coming to Casona Tricepilot today after his work in San Antonio to discuss insights, highlights, lowlights, sidelights, and headlights of my Austrian Machine. :clap::clap:

I'm taking all tips, tricks, quirks, cautions, warnings, suggestions, forecasts, pointers and more from the orange brewmaster. :thumb:

Thanks for letting me sit on your new steed. Very Sweet! :drool:

This is the turn signal set I was talking about Bob. They are shorter and tucked so they tend to not burn like the original.

http://sicassracing.com/store/turn_signals/led/clear_lens_led_ktm

This may be what your friend had suggested.

http://www.roguemotorsportz.com/i79...&ad=Products&gclid=CLD3nPT_r7YCFQbqnAodkwIAzQ

The only thing is I think you are going to need a stator upgrade. Not a bad upgrade, just more money to spend. Coolhand, isn't this what you did?

Sam

headights are out on the 350 and 500 excs

they are on a fuse with the running light and the plate light

bought the PMXTEC H7 kit, headlight still does not work

stock headlights are supposed to be dim and prone to burn out

maybe the trailtech X2 halogen? dont want it too bright

maybe the trailtech X2 halogen? dont want it too bright

It won't be bright. In fact, it is barely an improvement over the stock headlight.

Maybe I am weird, but I want GOOD lights on my bikes, even something like the 530 EXC. I never plan to ride a bike like that after dark... but well... you know what they say about plans :doh:

So I am still thinking of what to do for decent headlights on the 530... :ponder:

It won't be bright. In fact, it is barely an improvement over the stock headlight.

Maybe I am weird, but I want GOOD lights on my bikes, even something like the 530 EXC. I never plan to ride a bike like that after dark... but well... you know what they say about plans :doh:

So I am still thinking of what to do for decent headlights on the 530... :ponder:

Yup, everytime I ride with a orange bike......we have to be home by dark!! :eek2: Is that why they are pumpkin-colored? :lol2: Just kidding, guys. :deal:

Yup, everytime I ride with a orange bike......we have to be home by dark!! :eek2: Is that why they are pumpkin-colored? :lol2: Just kidding, guys. :deal:

Yes, it is true!:giveup:
It seems that kickstands and headlight are not high on the list with KTM. I am currently working on my lighting for the second go around. I installed a trail tech stator last week. I am looking at a Baja Designs squadron lighthttp://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDetail?ItemNumber=497051 that will go in the stock KTM mask. I know it is not DOT but paired with a dimmer guys are using them on the street. Most guys are running them at 30% and not getting flashed by on coming drivers. I have looked and dimmers and think I like this one best http://www.lights.skenedesign.com/IQ_175.shtml
IQ170 it has more options than the on baja designs offers. I think I can wire it so I can have 30% low beam for 2 lane, 50% low beam for divided roads, and 100% death ray :eek2:for anytime others are not around. There is nothing cheap about this but, there is nothing cheap about hitting something in the dark!

There are other options, look on Ebay for a seller by the name of PW_Garfield. He builds an HID unit from a KTM atv lens and hid kit that is well thought of also. He list his phone info on ebay and on KTMTALK.

Back