• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KTM Thumper Discussion

Roger's link is the light I tried to link. The fact that Roger is considering the same light is another mark next to this light for me.

looks like Roger is checking the headlight out in his avatar right now!!!

Sam talked about a number of different gearing combos. The scary thing was he was coming up with the actual ratios - in his head. No calculator, no paper.

ADVmonster Model 60.

3600 lumens 28w@12v. The same output as the BD squadron for $100. They have a kit for installing in some headlight masks as well.

I just upgraded my stator on the CRF450X and put in an HID conversion kit from Ricky Stator. I'm going to put an ADVmonster Model 60 on a ram mount centered directly above my main headlight for extra fill light and in case the HID fails while on the 24 Hours of North Texas in June. I won't run LED on normal day rides.

This may be what your friend had suggested.

http://www.roguemotorsportz.com/i79...&ad=Products&gclid=CLD3nPT_r7YCFQbqnAodkwIAzQ

The only thing is I think you are going to need a stator upgrade. Not a bad upgrade, just more money to spend. Coolhand, isn't this what you did?

Sam

I've read good things about this light. It'll probably be my next upgrade...
http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDetail?ItemNumber=497061

Ouch! So you have to buy the light, the harness, the dimmer, and possibly even the stator upgrade? That adds up!! I guess I could just ride behind you :-P

Just got off the phone with Baja Designs and ordered this with their very knowledgeable rep:

i-WPvNg39-M.jpg

I started off the conversation with make/model/year of the bike and he took me to this product.

"But", I said, it shows for up to 2012. He explalined the website hadn't been updated for the product but it would definitely be the right light.

Then I asked about wiring harnesses, stators, and all that.

He gave a very detailed explanation of the wiring and stator on my bike and said this would be built for the bike to be a direct replacement. No extra wiring or stator work required.

He did ask if I wished to run a dimmer. They are on backorder. I told him to ship the light without the separate dimmer (which can be installed later). He said he runs his bike with this light and if on the street for a long time he tapes over two of the LEDs.

So while still pricey at $340 with shipping, no harness, dimmer, or stator upgrade.

Last edited:
looks like Roger is checking the headlight out in his avatar right now!!!

Actually, I was practicing my "Heel Clickers"...

Just got off the phone with Baja Designs and ordered this with their very knowledgeable rep:

A before and after picture of the light pattern on a dark road after the install please?

Tricepilot and I will be preping his new steed for several upcoming trips Saturday about noon. He had made a comment that he would like to come over and watch when I was helping someone, so I am putting it up... Except that he has to be here. :-P If there is anyone who is out riding and wants to stop by or may just want to come over and sit and watch, you are welcome to. Just PM me and I will give you directions.
Note: That last part does not apply to Vinny, JT, Rg, Gravelguy, Electrified and several others since they know how to get here and are always welcome. :clap:

Be prepared to see Sam make everything that you have a hard time doing look extremely easy! :lol2:

Be prepared to see Sam make everything that you have a hard time doing look extremely easy! :lol2:

Like wheelie Bob's new bike with all it's upgrades installed, coming around a tree and wheelbarrow in the backyard with the front wheel up in the air to only come down in the driveway 20' later to a screeching stop like it was an everyday thing.

(yeah, i made him do it twice just 'cause it was 'cool')

Like wheelie Bob's new bike with all it's upgrades installed, coming around a tree and wheelbarrow in the backyard with the front wheel up in the air to only come down in the driveway 20' later to a screeching stop like it was an everyday thing.

(yeah, i made him do it twice just 'cause it was 'cool')

4-6-2013%208-39-06%20PM-L.jpg

Sam The Man

We (read: Sam) greased the swingarm bearings and the steering head bearings.

The swingarm bearings actually looked well greased from the factory. The steering head bearings, not so much.

We (read: Sam) put the 15t sprocket back on the bike and that is now mated with the 50t chainring. MUCH better than the 13/50 combo I asked TJ's to put on the bike. Note: the bike came with 15/45. I think 15/50 is SWEET and I think so does Sam.

Fitted a new chain because the original chain was too short to accomodate the 50t chainring. You can see the photo above during the sizing process. I learned how to grind a link to "cut" a chain down to size.

We (read: Sam) repositioned the forks so that they're now even with the top clamp. The bike has more "rake" now and should be better in the loose stuff.

I think there is a huge difference in the before and after test rides :sun:

We went to downtown Kyle and had a fantabulous burger to top the day off :eat:

The bike is ready for Richard's 500 mile challenge on the Junction ride that kicks off next weekend :clap:

Fun Day! Great Bike! :mrgreen: I hope you like the repositioned levers and pedal as much as the gearing change. Everytime I do something like this for others I always get more out of it than I seem to give. Always happy to help. :thumb:
Be careful not to smile so wide while down south of Juntion that whole chickens fly in your mouth while you are riding. :duck:
Have a great time, and we'll look forward to your report upon your return. :deal:

Sam

Fun Day! Great Bike! :mrgreen: I hope you like the repositioned levers and pedal as much as the gearing change. Everytime I do something like this for others I always get more out of it than I seem to give. Always happy to help. :thumb:
Be careful not to smile so wide while down south of Juntion that whole chickens fly in your mouth while you are riding. :duck:
Have a great time, and we'll look forward to your report upon your return. :deal:

Sam

You are the man Sam! I wish I had a talent that could help others the way you do. Honored to be one of those that you have helped. :sun:

I have seen several posts and opinions about cylinder care while putting in a new top end. I have reframed from answering since it would just be my opinion.
Here is Jeff Slavens opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaFp...m_campaign=Silicone+implants&utm_medium=email

This showed up in my mail box this morning and I thought I would pass it on. Not many would doubt Jeff's expertise on the subject of motorcycle care.

Sam

Back