• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

La Grange Courthouse

Reaction score
First Name
Alejo
Last Name
Gonzalez
The name "La Grange" always captured my imagination due to ZZTOP. Being a

foreigner in Texas and having a pic of my bike in La Grange is a big deal for me.

LaGrangeCourtouse.jpg

:trust: I was thinking of the OTHER house when I go through La Grange. sounds kinda like court house. ;-) I think my cousins a couple of blocks away from it too.

:trust: I was thinking of the OTHER house when I go through La Grange. sounds kinda like court house. ;-) I think my cousins a couple of blocks away from it too.

"Rumour sprendin' a-'round in that Texas town
'bout that shack outside La Grange
and you know what I'm talkin' about.
Just let me know if you wanna go
to that home out on the range.
They gotta lotta nice girls."

One time when I was headed to Houston for a meeting I was listening to Classic Rewind on Sirius and right when I crossed the LaGrange exit sign on 71 the song came on. Pretty eerie :wary:

Shoot, that's not eerie -- that's a friendly reminder! :lol2:

Here's one of my fav TX movie. It's shown on HBO ever now and then. I think I'm the only one that's ever seen it...lol.

Attachments

• 10995051[1].jpg
    10995051[1].jpg
    8 KB · Views: 491
  • lonestar1[1].jpg
    lonestar1[1].jpg
    40 KB · Views: 263
  • lone_star[1].jpg
    lone_star[1].jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 479
Nope I've seen it. its probably truer than people think too.

Go inside the LaGrange Courthouse on a weekday, it's was completely "restored" inside and out recently and has some interesting old black and white photos of the courthouse area. I didn't know it but there was a huge flood in LaGrange back in 1913, they even have a "high water mark" inside the courthouse. The bakery across the street has some good stuff also!

Nope I've seen it. its probably truer than people think too.

I think the last line of that movie is 'forget the alamo'. I hope it's not truer than people think. I don't want to give the ending away but that sheriff really loves his family.

:eek2:

Its been a while since Ive seen it so I do not recall that line. I'll have to sit and watch it later on.

A bit of history

La Grange means The Grange:
What the heck is a grange?
grange /greɪndʒ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[greynj] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. a farm, with its farmhouse and nearby buildings.
2. Chiefly British. a country house with its various farm buildings, usually constituting the dwelling of a yeoman or gentleman farmer.
3. the Grange. See under Granger Movement.
4. Archaic. a barn or granary.

so when your going to La Grange your goin to the farm!

Office Space was filmed in Austin.

It has nothing to do with La Grange, but none of you included one of my favorite Texas movies in your list. The Getaway (the REAL one - with Steve McQueen) was filmed in Hunstville, San Marcos, San Antonio, El Paso, and probably a couple other Texas locales.

I lived in San Marcos in the late '70s and remember a vacant bank building sitting on the corner with "First Bank of Beacon City" on the window and door. I couldn't come up with a Beacon City anywhere around there and even remember talking about it with my wife. We just couldn't figure out the Beacon City thing even though I had seen the movie back in '72. As luck would have it, a couple of years later The Getaway was on one of the cable channels - HBO I think. In any case, the robbery of the First Bank of Beacon City resolved the mystery. I saw Steve McQueen robbing the First Bank of Beacon City and taking off down Hopkins and past the Safeway. A little later he was stopped on the side of the road with a big sign for Munden's on the background.

I never knew that, I need to watch it again now, I always thought it was Ohio or something like that.

There just something about that song that reminds me of home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VLJsm8ohOg&feature=related

I still have a picture of Sheriff Jim Flournoy on my wall. He's the guy that broke Marvin Zindlers nose on the courthouse lawn!:lol2:

Neat courthouse though, lots of history. When I was a kid the center atrium was the records room but about 20 yrs ago they turned it into a fountain. They've since moved the records room across the street. There's a monument on the lawn that commemorates our fallen heroes from Fayette Co. thats real cool!:patriot:
If you ever make it to La Grange, check out Monument Hill up on the bluff. Remember the Black Bean incident in your Texas History classes? The tomb rests on the old Kreishe Brewery that made the ol' Frisch Auf (Freshen up).:sun:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/monument_hill_and_kreische_brewery/

Never the less, that old courthouse still has a knack for parting me of my $$$.:lol2:

cctrip302-1.jpg

Of course, you are correct. My memory fuzzed as I was riding through the area taking pics. Thanks.

Back