• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

LA trail riding, Camp Claiborne

RollingJ

You can be a 0 or a
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Sims
Per request, I'm making this a the thread for all things Camp Claiborne.

I'm riding Sat July 11, 2020 at the Claiborne Multi Use Trails.

It's good stuff.

Anybody want to ride?

Last edited:
Hot. Bike retired till fall. I guess you guys are tougher over in LA.

Thank you for the notice but I am out waiting on some hernia surgery. That is my first reason, the other is the same as Vinny's. After many many years I just don't enjoy it in these temps. The mtns of NM and CO are my scene until Oct. Stay safe out there.

Reactions: Dao
I've looked and I've looked and I've looked and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I spy a license plate attached to something orange. Hiding from the Rangers or is that the entrance to the Bat Cave?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

So 2nd look I would guess somebody broke down, hid their bike for safe keeping and walked out. I can see the knobby tire now also.

I came off a side trail onto the main trail, about a 3 ft drop, cruising. The front end got much higher than I expected. I whiskeycrossthrottlerutted and launched off the uphill berm. I was locked onto the bike and landed very softly in the attack position, buried in that bramble, after a 15ft flight.

I bounced out, and lo and behold, not a scratch on me. My new buddy came up after I had my helmet off, asked my where I hid my bike. If all my crashes were that easy I'd do it all the time.

The recovery in the heat, however, took the rest of my MOJO.

I turned tail and skedattled.

:thumb: :thumb: Impressive you rode at all in this heat. You're a better lady than I ! If you fellers can see anything other than maybe a lic plate than you gots better eyes than I. No wonder I hit so much stuff.

I came off a side trail onto the main trail, about a 3 ft drop, cruising. The front end got much higher than I expected. I whiskeycrossthrottlerutted and launched off the uphill berm. I was locked onto the bike and landed very softly in the attack position, buried in that bramble, after a 15ft flight.

I bounced out, and lo and behold, not a scratch on me. My new buddy came up after I had my helmet off, asked my where I hid my bike. If all my crashes were that easy I'd do it all the time.

The recovery in the heat, however, took the rest of my MOJO.

I turned tail and skedattled.

Joel...that's a good one right there.
my number came up a couple yrs ago, in CO.
one min i'm riding on smooth single tracks, the next i was upside down pinned between the bike and the tree.

:thumb: :thumb: Impressive you rode at all in this heat. You're a better lady than I ! If you fellers can see anything other than maybe a lic plate than you gots better eyes than I. No wonder I hit so much stuff.

George look in lower right area.
ffd90b05001819a92f332a3f4a8e1b90.png

Joel —- glad you found your bike.

i look forward to riding with you out there this fall.

Guess I could look it up but is this area near Woodworth, on the way to Oakdale?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guess I could look it up but is this area near Woodworth, on the way to Oakdale?

That kinda depends on the starting point and direction you are going. It is just N/W of Forest Hill, LA. Camp Claiborne in the Kisatchie NF..

However...

Claiborne was closed and I rode at Sandstone.

I really like sandstone- what is your impression versus Claiborne? I rode the Claiborne once and it was more of a wet mess when I went.

The Boy Scout loops at Claiborne are true single track and in good shape. No ATVs allowed. There are also tons of trails off the main trail as they run the Cajun Classic Enduro there. The best time of year to ride there is right after the race. The other loops are ATV wide and can be a lot of flowing fun if it's not rained in the last few days. The North loop has a lot of roots exposed, though.

The Woodworth loop feels a lot like Sandstone.

Great info- thanks j. How are the crowds?

Minimal usually, but there is enough traffic to ride solo.

That’s why I love Kisatchie- especially during the week. Holidays are usually a lot busier when schools out. We need to link up one of these days.

Back