• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

LAB2V 2019

Reaction score
http://www.labarstowvegas.com/

Anyone interested in doing the Thxgiving weekend LA->Barstow->Vegas desert ride? I'm planning on riding the Africa Twin out there and meeting up with a buddy in LA, do the desert race to Vegas, hang out in Vegas for a day, then ride back.

I see some threads from previous years but nothing on 2019 yet. Would be more than happy to coordinate with the group if there's interest. Only 10 months away so, clock's ticking!

That twin is going to be a bundle of joy in El Marage, but you'll have a good time.

Tip: Make your reservations in Barstow soon. You can always cancel later.

Doubt if I'll go with my calendar for this year, but if I do I'll trailer out.

Like Meriden, this year is not going to work for me, but would love to ride it again, had a great time with Meriden about 5 years ago when we rode it..

Gary

We had a great time that year. SilverBullet has his eyes out for a KTM 350 for me so I may get wrangled into it again. I'm not going to horse that x challenge around in the sand again! LOL
Lmaoshidmtamsfo

You can take my 500 if you really want to go. But I hear it's too heavy. LOL.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

No, it's the arm wrenching power that has me cowering in fear. You could take it, but it's 450 miles of sand and they use verde on lengua out there.
co říkáš

No, it's the arm wrenching power that has me cowering in fear. You could take it, but it's 450 miles of sand and they use verde on lengua out there.
I've heard some wild tales about how hard the sand is. [emoji12]

Anybody have experience with adventure bikes on the easy route? Video of the hard routes seems like I'd want to avoid that.

My X weights 373 completely loaded and fueled for the LAB2V run. The run itself roughly parallels I15. The three routes are ADV which is on freeways, streets and some graded roads, the "easy route" which is along power line roads, service roads, bad desert tracks and across ATV areas, the "hard route" is the easy route with some detours to make it harder. There is one hard section section in Red Rock where a few riders team up to carry their bikes across.

The easy route on a bike the size of the X is a lot of work, especially if not practiced at riding in sand or rocks. Guys successfully ride it on big GS bikes each year, but generally your find them on their side. There is a guy who rides the hard routes two up on a KTM 950 or 990. I'm not sure which.

One thing to keep in mind is that for most of the trip there are plenty of opportunities to reach pavement. I would suggest going to Las Vegas first and riding to Barstow on the power line roads. That way you will know what you are getting into. Guys ride this on everything from CT90s, Ancient Greeves, 60s Triumph Desert Sleds to Big GS. The vast majority will be on KTM 4 stroke singles followed by Hondas.

These two are standard easy route stuff.

The guy on the white Husky is SIlverBullet.

m

Thanks for the videos! That's a helpful reference. Seems like some of the stuff I've hit in hill country so doesn't look too terrible.

If you're not on the D37 message board, go ahead and start following it. As sign up nears there will be a lot of discussion. Then more once November rolls around. For the most part the sand is only eight to twelve inches deep, but there may be ten or more miles of it at a stretch, sometimes with babyheads hidden below. The speed is limited in BLM Tortoise areas so that makes it a pain to ride. Anyway several hundred folks do it each year. Just remember to pull off the trail if you break down and always refer to the roll chart. The GPS is wrong.

Back