• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

AUSTIN: LAB2V 2019

Reaction score
I am a maybe this year with a kid on the way, but very hopeful I can pull it off again. It is such a fun ride.

The two times I went I drove to Las Vegas, left my vehicle at The Orleans and rode the motos through Primm and the powerline through the desert to Barstow. The last time I had plenty of time so I headed south through Stoddard Wells into the mountains north of San Bernadino to camp in the woods.

The next morning I rode to SB and eat at Mitlas Cafe, an old rt66 place that really influenced the Mexican food scene in the USA. Their Huevos Rancheros was delicious.

Ran to Chaparral for a few small things and headed back into the mountains on the very fun 18 and went west to Wrightwood for pizza for dinner and further down the the 2, and later the Big Pines Hwy to the edge of the National Forest to again cowboy camp in the woods.

When I wake up, I slowly make my way to Palmdale for the somewhat overpriced turkey, but it is tradition and tasty. I head to my motel, squeeze the bike inside and sleep in a bed after a nice, deserved shower.

I had a good ride from Palmdale to Barstow after the perpetually long line at reg that morning. I got there early so was still out before the sun had risen much.

I fried my starter because my bike was having trouble starting, which I attributed to a fuel/carb issue, but unbeknownst to me my intake valves were done. The bike ran, but not great getting me into Barstow, but I had to bump start on hills because I couldn't get it to fire by kicking. I had to bail on day two because I couldn't make the bike run and only figured out what it was later.

I bummed a spot in a pickup with another rider Dave, also from Texas, also with bike trouble and made a new friend.

I say all of this because it is a great adventure and can be done with easy on the cheap. I hate cooking in camp so I just rode until I found good food and ate big before riding to what ever spot caught my fancy to pull into the woods to camp.

All I carried other than normal dirt bike stuff like water, some tools and stuff was a down sleeping bag, a z-fold thermarest and a myler bivy incase it got rainy or really cold. All packed small and easily strapped to a backpack which was left with the LAB2V guys to haul between palmdale and Barstow and from Barstow to LV.

Doing it again, I might skip the hotel in Vegas on the way there and just head straight to the desert after dropping the van off in the Orleans' garage...

I love this ride as you can rip or relax.

Hope I can make it and hope to see some of yall there.
2e392237b83d035e8c63699a2c358058.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Doubt if I'll be going this year, but you never know.

This is a great chance to do some desert riding and ride some areas generally not open to the riding public. It's two days that will give you a chance to test your setup. There are usually three routes: ADV which has a lot of tarmac and less sand, Dual Sport which has a lot of sand and little tarmac and Hard which is hard. Maybe someone with experience on the hard section will chime in, but I've see photos of groups of guys carrying KTMs across some of the really rocky sections.

If you think you might go, MAKE YOUR HOTEL RESERVATIONS IN BARSTOW NOW. You can always cancel later. Some guys who stay at the Ramada, the center of the action, make their reservation a year in advance.

A lots of fun, well done event. Expect every bike between the Honda CT90 to the BMW H2 boxers. Mostlly KTMs though. It's probably not a good idea if you just started riding.

I am super pumped for this ride. I'm registered and all hotel reservations made. c4Nuck and I will be there for this one. My wife will be in the van chasing. Matt if you make it out there hit me up.

I hope Grumpy catches me again. This was 2017
7126ecaf81fe8207123362417a954373.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Anyone headed to LA-B-V that would be interested in hauling my bike out there and bring it back. I don't have enough time to drive myself but was thinking I would fly if I can find someone to haul. I can deliver the bike to you and pick it up here in Texas if you could deliver it to Palmdale for the start and meet up in Vegas for the return. I'll pitch in for gas. I'm living in Houston but travel a lot and could work something out to get the bike to you. Thanks in advance.

Back