• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

LAB2V 2021

Hotels Booked..!
1622600715583.jpeg

I did this ride about 20 years ago and it is one of my all time favorites!!! I still remember coming down the mountains at the end and using my finger to wipe snow off my goggles like a windshield wiper (over and over and over)! Yep the snow was coming down that thick, craziest ride I have ever done and one of the most beautiful! I loved seeing a huge crater, driving through at the bottom of a very narrow canyon, so awesome! I plan to try to do it again this year, as I just got back into dual sport riding!

What does bring your cable mean? GPS USB cable to directly download? I have only used roll charts in the past. I did just purchase a Garmin Xumo XT to use for rides (hope that is a good one?)
What ever cable you use to upload the tracks to your gps. I think if you use a card they maybe able to load directly to your SD card as well. Your gps will do everything you need it to do...I have the 396 which is the model below yours and I really like it...I bluetooth my phone to the gps...then the gps to my Sena...I can stow my phone in my bag and control my music through the gps screen.

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks for the info! I am also getting the EXO-AT950 helmet. What Bluetooth system do you recommend? Earbuds or speakers mounted in helmet? I never used communications in my helmet and need advice. Is it too loud for speakers and do I need to use ear buds? Thanks for info!

Awesome, thanks for the info! I am also getting the EXO-AT950 helmet. What Bluetooth system do you recommend? Earbuds or speakers mounted in helmet? I never used communications in my helmet and need advice. Is it too loud for speakers and do I need to use ear buds? Thanks for info!
If you're going to install a communication system, I'd recommend a Cardo Pac Talk Bold. The Cardo are waterproof but Sena is not rated waterproof. My Sena lasted about a year before it became useless due to static I think was caused by water intrusion from riding in heavy rains. The cardo has not been affected by water yet. I tried to get warranty done on the Sena as it was under warranty but could only get hold of their outsourced call center overseas who kept demanding a receipt for warranty. I explained multiple times that I received it as a gift but due to the fact they were only reading the script on their screen that was useless. I will never buy anything Sena again!

Everyone has their own preference. If you are worried about tearing it up...just get the 75 dollar one from amazon. I have owned sena for a few years now and have not had any problems, but have heard the cardo was really nice. I was also looking at that same helmet. AT950. I have heard its a little louder than the icon i have. If you position the speakers correctly in your helmet you should have no problem hearing. The icon does not come with speaker cut outs...what i did what figure out where i wanted my speakers...took my soldering iron and melted a indent in the helmet foam for each speaker...it has worked great. Most helmets now i think come with the speaker cutouts already in the foam.

When you get your EXO AT-950, order a pinlock visor and pinock for it. Otherwise you'll find yourself fogging up.

When you get your EXO AT-950, order a pinlock visor and pinock for it. Otherwise you'll find yourself fogging up.

Thanks, I just ordered one faceshield and one face insert. I saw you had to order both parts of a two part system for $80 total...

Have you ever worn goggles with this helmet instead of using face shield. Or is face shield perfect for any type of riding?

I use the face shield all the time even off-road. You could bring googles with you just in case if you’re on a trip. I recently did the Mextrek to Mexico and I saw a few of us with that helmet. All of us were using the face shield.

Hmm, I just used my brand new AT950 on a 400 mile ride and it never fogged up (my pinlock visor system hadn't came in yet)? Do you think it was because I was in Colorado with less humidity or do you only need the pinlock visor and pinlock for wintertime riding? Kind of regretting spending $80 on them now...

I use the face shield all the time even off-road. You could bring googles with you just in case if you’re on a trip. I recently did the Mextrek to Mexico and I saw a few of us with that helmet. All of us were using the face shield.
Yes, it worked great in the dust on my first offroad trip with it (400 miles in Colorado). I just had to wipe the dropdown sunvisor and the faceshield down every now and then. But you would have to do that with goggles too. The good thing is my nose didn't get as much dirt up it as the guys with goggles... :)

I'm signing up for this LA-B-V ride! Real excited. If no one has a trailer, I will be renting a 1 way Uhaul from Vegas to the Start line. Let me know if anybody wants to go in on this...

Yes, it worked great in the dust on my first offroad trip with it (400 miles in Colorado). I just had to wipe the dropdown sunvisor and the faceshield down every now and then. But you would have to do that with goggles too. The good thing is my nose didn't get as much dirt up it as the guys with goggles... :)
Where did you ride in Colorado?

I rode the:
The Spring Spanish Border ride June 11-13th you will have the opportunity to stay and start the ride from an old High School in Antonito, Colorado. Day 1 Ride a portion of the Old Santa Fe Trail along the Conejos river, ride near old narrow gauge railroad tracks, have lunch at a remote active old train depot, ride along a Wilderness Boundary and along the Continental Divide Trail, and stay at the old Chili Line Depot in Tres Piedras, New Mexico.

Day 2 visit the spectacular Rio Grande Gorge from the top and ride down into the gorge and along the Rio Grande river. Then ride near and above and stay in Taos, New Mexico.

Day 3 ride in an area of Northern New Mexico and Southern Colorado where few people people live and fewer visit. Ride amongst some old Volcanos and visit the oldest Town in Colorado, San Luis. Return to your truck or RV securely parked in Antonito on the border in time for the included dinner Sunday night and say adios.

Exit Tours
Motorcycle club put this on...

I am about to post some pictures of the ride on the ride area...

Im already signed up…Are you going to run the Hard Ways?
Sorry, getting older, playing it safe and taking the easy ways for the first time... (at least that's my plan for now, sometimes I argue with myself and want to take the hardways... :) ) I rode this ride in 93, 94, and 95... So it has been awhile. I haven't been riding much the last 10 years or so and just getting back into it... I ride the fence of aggressiveness / playing it safe to enjoy the scenery...

OK Here is my plan of Attack! Ride is paid, Rental Truck and all hotels are reserved. Good chance my son can go and ride my old DRZ400!
Tues/Wed: Drive out Tuesday and end up in Vegas by 4pm to pick up the Rental Truck. (Gamble/Have fun in Vegas Wed. night) (Truck is left at hotel until I return)
Thur: Sleep in, drive bikes and luggage to Palmdale in the rental truck.(was $272 for 16 foot which had the ramp). Drop bags off at hotel, drop rental truck off and ride bikes to hotel. (Because of Thanksgiving we have to pick up Truck on Wednesday, but hey that gives us an extra fun night in Vegas! :) )
Fri: Day 1 Riding (End in Barstow, Event drops bag at my hotel)
Sat: Day 2 Riding (End in Vegas, Event drops bag at my hotel)
Sun/Mon: Drive home

Almost ready….. Just gonna wait a little longer to put on the tires I will run for the event.

Attachments

• 34C897A1-8EB8-4309-B777-E5ED846DFBD0.jpeg
    34C897A1-8EB8-4309-B777-E5ED846DFBD0.jpeg
    442.4 KB · Views: 115
You know it is almost time….when the roll chart holder gets installed.

Attachments

• 83F61E23-6AEB-4463-86A1-199EC2D7E6AC.jpeg
    83F61E23-6AEB-4463-86A1-199EC2D7E6AC.jpeg
    169.4 KB · Views: 115
U-Boat driver….did not make it through the second water crossing. Got it running and finished day 2….just wet and tired.

Attachments

• EFCB920F-480F-49A4-AA7F-F07FFC604DE4.jpeg
    EFCB920F-480F-49A4-AA7F-F07FFC604DE4.jpeg
    916.8 KB · Views: 120
Back