• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Lake Amistad

Reaction score
I ride a KTM 1090R and am looking for some insight to the Lake Amistad area. Riding out of Corpus where it’s completely flat and boring. Not a decent trail for miles unless you count dirt cotton field access roads. I’ve read that the lake is actually really nice and tent camping is available. There is Dolans Creek Rd which is dirt/gravel and 22 miles to Devils River Nature Reserve. Anybody have some experiences to share riding in the area? Any trails/dirt roads to share? Thanks in advance.

The ride to the Devil's River SNA is nice, but a kinda short out-and-back. It's caliche and starts our flat and kinda dull, but gets more turns and hills as you get closer to the river.

Check out Pandale Road - just west of the Devil's River. It's dirt from HW 90 nearly all the way to I-10 and has some good dirt roads that branch off from it. There's a bunch of good dirt further east - the "dirty sisters" road that lie within the paved Twisted Sisters. There's a guide to these West Texas rides here: http://www.texasadventure.net/cool-stuff/ride-guides They come with maps and access to GPS routes - great places to start.

Amistad itself: I've not found much off-pavement around there.

Been years since I rode out there , nice pavement east of Amistad with some unpaved thrown in but mostly scattered and kinda hard to tie together to do much exploring you will need a good 250 mile range on gas . West of amistad there’s miles and miles of unpaved dust a little gas on 90 and a few spots on I10 with nothing in between .

@thestudiokid and I did a Hill Country loop and ended up going to Lake Amistad as our farthest point of the overall trip. Our final destination for that day was back to Marble Falls. A road we throughly enjoyed is SR 163 that heads northeast out of Comstock. It is hilly and goes through a canyon that was a lot of fun. It is paved but has a goat trail feel to it.

Back