• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Land Of Enchantment Tour - NMBDR

Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Last Name
James
I have finally had some time to write up the report from my New Mexico ride in May. This was my first attempt at a BDR and a long dual-sport ride. The ride report is long with many pictures. You can read it here: https://motoadrenalinetours.blog/2022/07/05/land-of-enchantment-tour/

Here are a few pictures from the journey.
PXL_20220508_141032236-L.jpg

PXL_20220509_173557652-L.jpg

PXL_20220509_205323084-L.jpg

PXL_20220510_145828797-L.jpg

PXL_20220510_223713437-L.jpg

PXL_20220511_143211215-L.jpg

PXL_20220511_151139420-L.jpg

PXL_20220511_201108080-L.jpg

PXL_20220510_170857621-X2.jpg

PXL_20220512_171602159-L.jpg

PXL_20220513_185722103-L.jpg

PXL_20220514_164228949-L.jpg

NM is great as you cross through the vastly different terrain. Thanks for sharing your ride.

Were you able to ride the whole thing or did you have to adapt around some of the closures of certain areas I've seen they had going on?

Were you able to ride the whole thing or did you have to adapt around some of the closures of certain areas I've seen they had going on?
We skipped some of section #3 and section 5 we did the rest for the most part. It was a fun trip and challenging for me.

Looks great - thanks for sharing.

One comment...the tire choice on that KTM 🙄 I think you underestimate your skills.

Looks great - thanks for sharing.

One comment...the tire choice on that KTM 🙄 I think you underestimate your skills.
Yeah - You are not the first person to point out the tires. I should have gone more aggressive. My LOT (Lack of talent) still played a large part. That DS stuff is hard. haha - I do track days all of the time, I guess I should take an off-road course. However, I will be avoiding deep sand from now on, no matter my skill level. Just not fun.

However, I will be avoiding deep sand from now on, no matter my skill level. Just not fun.
There's some tricks both riding & equipment. A steering damper & airing tires down (as low as you can go, I have the Tubliss) makes a huge difference. You want to keep as much weight off the front wheel as possible to avoid burying it into the sand so use the clutch to modulate speed & avoid the front brake. Standing & shifting the weight rearwards will help & as with all things motorcycling, positive target fixation will get you through.

I'm not sure it's ever "fun" but pretty soon it's perfectly do-able.

I put a pair of Goldentyre with a fatty on front of my Beta , it laughs at sand and says playtime now . The Dunlop *** that came on it was pure garbage as has been every Dunlop that ever came on any bike I’ve owned . English Dunlop trials tires were good in the early 70 s but nothing since

I'm glad I went to Dragoo's off-road school instead of listening to people on the internet who tell you to get all the weight off the front tire in sand!

1657339274348.png

Last edited:
I'm glad I went to Dragoo's off-road school instead of listening to people on the internet who tell you to get all the weight off the front tire in sand!
Bill's class is where I learned that, we had lots of fun on the beach at Red River. I was on an XR400 so had it easier than the ADV guys.

He told us that your weight should be neutral on the bike not leaning back and removing the weight from the front wheel like some people say. Here's a video that explains it. I think the misunderstanding is that you can shift back temporarily to get the front tire up on top and then regain your neutral position.

Last edited:
We got an impromptu master class from Lawrence Hacking in Baja!

155A9941_Fotor.jpg

I think the misunderstanding is that you can shift back temporarily to get the front tire up on top and then regain your neutral position.
Probably, there's a point where it feels about right.

Back