• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Lane Filtering Legal in Utah

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Gill
Saw an article on this today. Started this week. This is true filtering, not lane splitting.

I can see that as a good option. Less dangerous except for angry cagers out to get you. It would have to have like a 5 mph Max speed or something. Very interesting regardless.

Don't think I've ever heard that distinction, but okay.

It's a bad idea to do it at speed anyway.

Why? California has no problem with it. I think legalizing full fledged lane splitting is a great idea. I've been doing my part to get Houstonian's prepared for that for many years...

The Utah law has a lot of stipulations... the roadway can't be posted for anything higher than 45 mph; the vehicular traffic must be stopped; and I'm not sure about the speed of the bike but I think it is restricted to something like 5-15 mph.

The law is a test for a three year period to see how things shake out. If the moto riders and cagers behave themselves then the possibility would exist that the next revision to the law would allow for actual lane splitting while traffic is moving.

The terms tend to be used interchangeably, but as stated, the Utah law is for bikes to go to the front of the line when cars are stopped at stop lights (lane filtering), not driving in moving traffic with both the motorcycle and cars moving (lane splitting).

I think it is kind of all lane filtering is lane splitting, but not all lane splitting is lane filtering?

I am one that is not for it, just seems dangerous, and another reason for people to get mad at bikers ("they are cutting in line!"), regardless of it being legal or not.
I would be too worried about road rage vigilantism (someone opening a door or changing lanes "accidentally").
I know it is done around the rest of the world (and Cali) pretty regularly, but they are used to it and it is expected.

I've only been to Utah a couple of times. Do they have enough traffic congestion to warrant this? Do they have enough motos and scooters to get a significant sample size for valid 'test' results?

I think it is kind of all lane filtering is lane splitting, but not all lane splitting is lane filtering?
That is correct.

I am one that is not for it, just seems dangerous
And that's the great thing about it; if you don't like it you don't have to do it. I don't know what your experiences have been riding in California, but that has been the one redeeming factor of my annual trek to Hollywood. I love being able to slide between the lanes of traffic on the perpetually jammed So Calif freeways. The sooner we can get similar legislation passed in other states, the sooner we can get the cagers used to it.

Last edited:
Why? California has no problem with it. I think legalizing full fledged lane splitting is a great idea. I've been doing my part to get Houstonian's prepared for that for many years...
If the traffic is already flowing at speed, I have no problem getting ahead by changing lanes, and have done that on my commute regularly. It's when the traffic grinds to a halt, or crawling at snail pace that I wish I could legally filter.

I have lived in SoCal. Their kind of freeway traffic is at a far different scale than anything I've seen in TX. Should filtering be legal in TX? Yes. But I agree with Utah... keep it at slow speed ot stopped traffic.

I've only been to Utah a couple of times. Do they have enough traffic congestion to warrant this? Do they have enough motos and scooters to get a significant sample size for valid 'test' results?
I wondered the same. They have a much shorter ride season, and while traffic in SLC, Provo and Ogden can be bad, it is nothing compared to large metroplexes in California and Texas.
I guess the lower traffic is a good thing to get a small scale sample, since California is the large scale.
And that's the great thing about it; if you don't like it you don't have to do it. I don't know what your experiences have been riding in California, but that has been the one redeeming factor of my annual trek to Hollywood. I love being able to slide between the lanes of traffic on the perpetually jammed So Calif freeways. The sooner we can get similar legislation passed in other states, the sooner we can the cagers used to it.
Never ridden in California (only been there once for a 4 day business trip 10 years ago).
As I mentioned, in other places where it is the norm and legal, I might be more apt to try it, and if it ever comes to Texas, I may try it after a few years once people are (hopefully) more used to it.

I think the idea of filtering through stopped cars (especially to turn right) is an acceptable practice, but woe to the person who scratches my car or truck. Filtering or splitting between moving vehicles is a crazy idea. You don't know who is going to do what. I would not want to throw the dice on my chances of getting past that grouchy old lady who thinks you are cheating and trying to get ahead of the line. Personally I think that would the idea most people would have. Filtering to turn right on a Red? Doubt anyone would care.

That said, I do not think I would ever be able to say with a straight face, " California has no problem with it." :lol2: They don't have a problem with anything!

Attachments

• IMG_0855.JPG
    IMG_0855.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 107
The terms tend to be used interchangeably, but as stated, the Utah law is for bikes to go to the front of the line when cars are stopped at stop lights (lane filtering), not driving in moving traffic with both the motorcycle and cars moving (lane splitting).

I am one that is not for it, just seems dangerous, and another reason for people to get mad at bikers ("they are cutting in line!"), regardless of it being legal or not.
I would be too worried about road rage vigilantism (someone opening a door or changing lanes "accidentally").
I know it is done around the rest of the world (and Cali) pretty regularly, but they are used to it and it is expected.
Agree, I dont put that much trust in my fellow man. Just takes one for a really bad outcome.

Hey, I was just reporting what I saw. Didn't mean to open a can of worms.

Back