• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Laverda - anyone own or work on one?

Sluggo

Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Last Name
Johnson
I'm a fan of oddball bikes. I have come across a 1973 Laverda 750SF that is in need of restoration. I feel pretty comfortable wrenching on my bikes, but it's always good to know someone who really knows what they are doing & the little issues inherent to certain makes / models.

So, does anyone know of a Laverda guru in Texas?

I don't know a Laverda guru but sure would like to see a photo of your bike. Those were beautiful to me, second only to the 6 cylinder Bennelli IMO.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

I'm a fan of oddball bikes. I have come across a 1973 Laverda 750SF that is in need of restoration. So, does anyone know of a Laverda guru in Texas?

Hats of to you for wanting to tackle this “project.” Laverdas even when brand new would never really stay in running form for too long. I can still remember the times my step brother was left stranded somewhere on the other side of Rome (Italy) in the middle of the night and my dad had to go get him.

That being said, I would try tracking down Andy Mercer. I don’t know where he’s now, since his shop has closed, But I have the feeling he is the only Italophile mechanic even willing to tackle a Laverda.

Just as an aside, know any history on this bike?
b/c aside from their horrible reliability issues, in Italy when these Laverdas were sold by the factory with black paint and gold pin stripping they were nicked name “le casse da morto” (the coffins/caskets) b/c of their appauling safety records.

One of my friends Dads growing up had a Laverda Jota a 1000cc bike if I recall
I rode it a few times it was a beast compared to the Honda 400F

I worked on one of those when I lived in Kerrville many many years ago. . I seen to remember the carbuerators had square throttle slides.

I always thought the RGS to one of the most stunning bikes ever built.

laverda-1.jpg

I’ve owned several Laverdas over the years. Get yourself a copy of Tim Parker’s green book.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CB5WWJO/?tag=twowhetex-20
It’s the Laverda owners bible, Amazon usually has them. Good news is the twins are pretty easy to maintain.

There’s an active owners club in the UK, you should be able to Google them, I was a member back in the day.

Let’s see it, how about some photos ??

Last edited:
Back