• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

LD Riding Questions & Answers

Texas T

LD Rider
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Here is your place to write that question that has always been lurking in the back of your mind about those crazy folks who ride WAY longer and farther than the "normal" motorcycle rider.

I am by no means an expert, but we do have some good experience on this board even if they don't post a lot, so hopefully we can get some good answers for everyone.

Can anyone suggest Basecamp resources? I’ve had many frustrations during rally route planning and am appalled at the lack of anything useful from Garmin.

Are there any newbie LD groups rides?

I was trying to hit the Eurosport 4 day / 1600 mile ride in a few weeks, but I've already got something that weekend.

Looking for another ride like that.

What is the definition of "long distance" riding?

I see challenges to do X miles in Y hours, and stuff like that, but is there more to it than that?

That question is almost asking "what's the best oil".

I imagine there's lots of individual definitions of long distance riding. I know riders that say a couple hundred miles is quite the long distance ride.

For me, it's about pushing my limits and being able to recognize I've reached them. It's Zenful for me, all of life's minutiae slips away. And yes, I have done those x miles in y hours rides. I still like competing against my aging body.

Tim

What is the definition of "long distance" riding?

I see challenges to do X miles in Y hours, and stuff like that, but is there more to it than that?

Oh, heck yes. Rallies are one of the biggest parts of LD riding. Just imagine a scavenger hunt on steroids, done entirely on two wheels.

Go to the MTF site and click on the calendar photos: http://www.mctourer.com/Calendar/

Here is the IBA list of events: http://ironbutt.com/?p=CF69A4C6E2BC44B712FD2093BB5A4FED

The RideMaster site created by Jason Jonas, the creator of SpotWalla: https://rides.jasonjonas.com/

Many of these are timed events (12H, 24H, 36H, 48H, 5 Days, 10 days, weeks long, months long, a year long, etc. For example, the Tour Of Honor (I'm rider 344 and have been riding this since 2012) begins April 1 each year and continues until Oct 31... https://www.tourofhonor.com This is a completely different rally, ridden on your own terms, on your own schedule, and you can ride to one memorial location or you can ride to hundreds of them.

The IBA's extensive list of possible rides is right here: http://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/
Want to just ride to National Parks? Want to just ride to Lighthouses? Want to ride to places where you can get a penny stamped? Want to follow the route of George Wyman, the first person to ride a motorcycle from San Francisco to New York City?

Or maybe you want to ride one of the rarest timed rides out there... the Atomic 1000 created by yours truly. I believe that we're still under 10 riders having accomplished this. All it involves is riding to the Trinity Test Site at the White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico. However, the site is only open 2 days a year, and only open for 6 hours on each of those days. You have to ride 1000 miles within 24 hours, and you must document a stop at the detonation site as part of that ride. Easy peasy. :trust:

Question for gl1800 riders, has anyone found a suitable tank bag?

Or how about suggestions for a reasonable way to carry things like gum, snacks, lip balm that can be accessed quickly and safely at highway speeds.

I have a great system on my ST but it will not fit my wing. I'm trying to get it set up for long distance runs. Since I injured my hip I can't do more than 75 miles on the ST without stopping. So I'm switching to the wing.

Thanks in advance,
Tex

A lady by the name of Linda (I think) used to make a large bag for the Wing. I believe she had some health issues and stopped making them but you "may" be able to find one on the used market. If you go to YouTube and watch Tim Masterson's video
he describes his bag system that I think she made for him.

I have a shelf mounted above my dash so if I needed to I could mount a little tupperware type container on that with a hinged lid to carry the things you mention, but on many of my rides my wife is with me and will carry that stuff in the pouch that's mounted to the back of my backrest.

Thanks for the reply. My shelf is already full of electronics, lol.

However, you and the video gave me an idea. As you know the wing won't tolerate a tall tank bag. My wife's primary caregiver is quite the seamstress, perhaps she can add some additional pockets to the small tank bag I'm using now.

Brian, have you decided where to stage for the Texas TOH?

Brian, have you decided where to stage for the Texas TOH?

Probably just north of Houston. I'll attend the Pie Run at Sam's on Saturday, then head down into Houston to see old friends, look at my previous homes in The Woodlands, etc. I might have breakfast with some folks on Sunday but then the rest of the day will likely be spent napping, resting, hydrating and finalizing any last minute issues. I'll try to hit the sack by 3-4 pm and get some sleep before the bell rings on April 1. That's always tough for me to do prior to a big ride because I normally don't hit the road on certificate rides until 4 am.

As soon as I finish Texas I'll head for the sites in NM but all three trophies will probably already be taken by then. If so, I'll dawdle around a bit and I might stay with an old friend that retired way north in Chama, NM. From there I'll make a judgment call based upon weather and trophies already obtained by others to see if I should go north to Colorado/Utah, or just stick with Arizona. If I have any time left I'll try to get to a couple of spots in So Cal, but that's a big maybe.

I agree that the midnight start is strange. You won't be running into me during your run, I'm on wife duty.

As a side note, I may have found a solution for my wing tank bag quandary. I bought a water resistant soft tackle box with several external pockets. Now to figure out a nice attachment system.

I agree that the midnight start is strange. You won't be running into me during your run, I'm on wife duty.

As a side note, I may have found a solution for my wing tank bag quandary. I bought a water resistant soft tackle box with several external pockets. Now to figure out a nice attachment system.

When I do iron butt runs, I strap a soft ice chest to the right passenger floor board on the wing. I keep cold water and snacks. I reach down and unzip while traveling. I also wear a camel back to sip water all day.

I have seen a couple of guys strap tank panniers to their wing. You have to finagle around all the buttons in the middle. I think aerostitch makes some tank panniers.

<...>Or how about suggestions for a reasonable way to carry things like gum, snacks, lip balm that can be accessed quickly and safely at highway speeds.
Jacket pockets.

The gum I'll chew while riding is the 'Chicklet' style, so a couple of those can easily be put into your jacket pocket at a fuel stop. Same with some type of sustenance; I'm a fan of the small snack-sized packaged cookies or crackers.

The drawback is that I typically have to remove a glove in order to eat...keeping the food debris out of the gloves themselves. Once done, the empty bag gets jammed into the same pocket until the next fuel stop. Repeat as required.

https://kwthom.blogspot.com/2018/07/48-in-10-ride-day-4.html

This didn't work well; I really need to derive an improved situation to hold this. I may need to seriously look into the Motojug system as a permanent solution.

Jacket pockets.
^^^ This. I carry my beef jerky in my jacket pocket so I have to remove my glove to get at it in its package.

I may need to seriously look into the Motojug system as a permanent solution.
I use the Motojug, but since Brenda rides with me so much I have not mounted it to the floorboard; it just sits on the back seat if I'm solo. If we're 2-up I use the pressurized Geigerrig. The Geigerrig's drinking tube is not insulated so I need to let it run a bit before drinking. I suppose I should just break down and buy an insulating tube for it.

<...>If we're 2-up I use the pressurized Geigerrig. The Geigerrig's drinking tube is not insulated so I need to let it run a bit before drinking. I suppose I should just break down and buy an insulating tube for it.
I have one of these in the closet that I really didn't want to mess with on my solo ride last year. When I'm 2-up touring, the stops are long enough that it doesn't matter.

If you study the photo, you’ll see the tank bag I made for my wing. 3 small pockets, one for my receipts, one for digital camera and one for headlamp and flashlight. The large center holds a box with gum, sour lemon drops, peppermint candy, jerky and other snacks. It also holds my night glasses and sunscreen.

On the handlebars is a very insulated 26 oz stainless tumbler for my beverage of choice.
I’ve modified the left passenger board to hold an ice chest. The top center lid is held closed by the wind, no zipper to mess with. I keep at least 2 quarts of Gatorade and 2 liters of bottled water on ice. I can easily reach in while riding.
During my recent IBA RAT, I consumed a gallon of Zero Gatorade and 3 liters of water every 24 hours. Dehydration is such an issue l rarely needed a bathroom break. You really can’t hydrate to much on LD rides.

Here you go,

Here’s a couple more,

I've not seen windshield wings before. Brand/Model?

What brand/model aux lighting are you using?

What is the controller box between your phone and your keys in the first photo?

So Brian, you haven’t seen those type of wings, because they’re not actually wings. Those are actually sold individually for about $20 on Amazon. They are typically used on top of a small windshield sorta like a laminer lip. They work pretty well pushing rain around my shoulders. Can also be turned in to get a bit more air.

The lights, the top set are 4 bulb LED Spots, rated at 2200 lumens. They also are from amazon for something like $45 each. When I compared them to the high dollar spots on my ST1100, I actually think I get a tighter spot thus better coverage down range. The lower set I bought off a friend who builds bikes for trick riders. No idea where they came from but wish I could find more. They are remote controlled. They are both flood and spot. The center is very bright white spots that I can run solid or 3 different speeds of strobe for daytime visibility. They are ringed by a bunch of led bulbs that will burn bright white or about 10 other colors. They will strobe, run clock or counter clockwise. They greatly enhance my presence in rain or fog. I tried to attach a video showing all the modes and colors but it says it’s too large. I’m not a tech guy.

The controller is for my Oxford Heated Grips.

As far as I know

For videos you sign up with you tube, upload it there, then you can copy and paste your YouTube link here.

Back