• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Leakey to Freer?

Reaction score
Wondering if there’s anything worth planning to see, visit, or eat on the second half of my day. Will spend the morning riding from Brady to Colorado Bend SP then down through Fredericksburg to Leakey. I know there are the Two Sisters, and I’ll ride those before heading south. I’ve been to Garner SP and won’t be stopping there this time. I plan to try and make Carrizo Springs then to Freer or Alice before stopping for the night at whatever hotel is available. Anything worth seeing along the way, or will the general central Texas scenery have to be good enough?

Well, there are actually 3 sisters (FM 335, 336 and 337) ;) .

In Ingram there is a mini Stonehenge and some Easter Island statues. It is an interesting stop if you have never been there.

1-3-jpg.jpg

There is also Luckenbach if you have never been there. Not a whole lot to see there, but I know many say it is is "must have" photo stop by the post office if you go there.

2020-08-26 11.38.12.jpg

Perfect! Thanks. Will definitely stop in Ingram.

Been to Luckenbach and Enchanted Rock and the Pacific War museum. All very cool.

I expect my day will be pretty full just getting through the hill country. May have to cut it short in Pearsall.

That part of Texas (south of 90, west of I-37) is mostly unknown to me. What's down thata way?

If you want to extend the ride a bit, Leaky to Bracketville via 337, 55, 334 is nice. 674 from Rocksprings to Bracketville is better - but further again out of your planned path...

Southeast of the Hill Country is the Texas Brush Country. Not nearly as touristy as the Hill Country. There are points of interest but they are few and far between. I lived and worked down there for 30 years.

If you're going to Colorado Bend SP you might want to check out the Regency Suspension Bridge. It was a good ride down a gravel road or at least it was 15 or so years ago on my Roadstar 1700. As for the 336 & 337 watch your speed. If it's posted 10 MPH, do 10 MPH and watch out for road hogs especially on a blind curve. I don't recall 335 being as twisty and as busy as the other two roads. As mentioned the trek to Bracketville through the Nueces River Valley is (to me) a very scenic ride. I never made it to Bracketville,but got pretty close. There were quite a few places where water was crossing the road from all the rain. I decided to turn around after watching a big truck plow through this one crossing. That's when I told myself to "save it for another day."

Enjoy your adventure and let us know how it went when you get back. Stay safe & hydrated!

Many thanks! I will check out the bridge. I recall the road from Vanderpool to Hill Country SNA being pretty twisty and needing to watch our speed, so I’ll definitely keep it in mind while cruising around Leakey.

Now…. Who’s got recommendations on places to eat!

Back