• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Learning All I Can!

Reaction score
I was encouraged by a TWT member to join the community. I'm in the early stages of exploring ADV bike life. I must say I'm really getting excited about it. Have not been on a bike since the early 90's...GPZ 550 was my primary means of transportation. Been watching lots of YouTube bike comparisons, checking out Bill Dragoo classes, and starting to look for a used bike and gear. I'm learning, so if you have any wisdom to pass along I will gladly take it!

my suggestion would be to buy a cheap KLR or similar, take it out and make some mistakes. But i am one of those that jump in with both feet and learn as i go. There are a ton of guys in the Tyler/Longview area that have been riding ADV for years and i am sure they would love some company. Alot of them go to the Diner at Tyler Pounds Field Airport on the first Saturday of the month for breakfast.

Welcome to the site, there is wealth of knowledge here.

my suggestion would be to buy a cheap KLR or similar, take it out and make some mistakes. But i am one of those that jump in with both feet and learn as i go. There are a ton of guys in the Tyler/Longview area that have been riding ADV for years and i am sure they would love some company. Alot of them go to the Diner at Tyler Pounds Field Airport on the first Saturday of the month for breakfast.

Welcome to the site, there is wealth of knowledge here.
I too am a "jump in" kind of learner...and that's why I welcome experienced wisdom. Been looking at KLRs. Thanks for the breakfast club tip. I will see what I might do to connect with some of those guys.

The fact that you mentioned training is good. Other than buying quality gear, training is perhaps the most important thing you can do. :thumb:

Don't blow a lot of money on your first ADV bike. Like many new things, you won't really know what you want until you jump in a do it for a bit. Then you will have a better idea of the kind of riding you ACTUALLY do versus what you might do. Not everyone is a KLR person, just like not everyone is a big BMW GS person. There is a lot in between! I would buy used, regardless of what you get unless you just have money to spend. Most used bikes will come with loads of accessories and you will save a ton of money if you are even moderately patient. The money saved can be used for training and/or paying for some adventures!

Appreciate the advice, and will take it to heart, especially the "moderately patient" piece. Everything in me wants to jump in the deep end, but I am moving at a snails pace at the moment.

Appreciate the advice, and will take it to heart, especially the "moderately patient" piece. Everything in me wants to jump in the deep end, but I am moving at a snails pace at the moment.
What Tourmeister said….and welcome aboard! 👍🏻

You can find a nice 12K mile KLR for $3400 fairly regularly. Take someone al;ong who knows bikes to help evaluate the bike and value. Does not matter if its 10 years old if maintained and kept indoors. People spend tons on farkles as they get the bug then latter realize, gee, its still a $3500 KLR even though I put 2000 into accessories. Don't fall for that trap either. Like the guys say get a cheap adv bike first , drop it a few times if the learning curve requires it, then buy the nicer bike with more capability and longer legs for bigger distant adventures. Welcome!!!

Thanks Ed. The advice in this forum is starting to sound very similar. Glad I landed this site, and grateful for the TWT member who suggested it.
Blessings!

Hey Scott... I recommend you buy a new KTM 1290 Super Adventure and then head immediately to the TAT. Just throwing out some advise contrary to the "similar" sounds you hear from others.

...and yes, mine is really bad advise :)

Hey Scott... I recommend you buy a new KTM 1290 Super Adventure and then head immediately to the TAT. Just throwing out some advise contrary to the "similar" sounds you hear from others.

...and yes, mine is really bad advise :)
You forgot the thousands he'll need to spend on gear and farkles before he does even one overnight trip

You forgot the thousands he'll need to spend on gear and farkles before he does even one overnight trip
Ahh, you're right! 4-season, ultra-light tent. Down sleeping bag rated for 15° for camping in Texas summers. $2k in aluminum side cases. Bespoke crash bars, bash plates, clearwater lights

KLR and a milk crate also works :)

Back