• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Leaving the Nest

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Hemphill
I bought my bike in November and got my endorsement in December. Since then I’ve been riding around in my neighborhood. I’ve spent my time practicing starting and stopping, on flat surfaces and hills, and turning...especially right turns from a stop...I have trouble with those.

I decided to spend about 100 miles in my neighborhood to get comfortable with the bike. This morning I had five of those 100 miles left. So, I spent about thirty minutes riding around finishing off those five miles. The most exciting thing about this part of the day was getting “attacked” by a small dog. I saw a man walking his dog as I entered an intersection. As I came through I could hear it yapping, I turned my head and saw a flash of gray in the corner of my eye. A simple roll of the throttle took care of that issue.

But back to why I’m writing this post. Today is the day I left the nest and ventured off into the jungle of suburban Seattle!
8d8d65aaf2b22216645d3c64b3f3dc4e.jpg

I had to actually do some work today, so the first stop was a local coffee shop a few miles down the road called Seattle Sunshine Coffee (kind of an oxymoron this time of year). I was sure to find a table by a window so I could stare at...I’m mean...occasionally look at my bike. I did do a little sermon work (I’m a pastor...hence the “rev” in my handle).
cd04841a6131242109d2f900451e5bd5.jpg

5884a852b75434c59c5b9c79e3c3dea4.jpg

After I finished at the coffee shop I headed further down the road to Magnuson Park. This park is an old Naval base on Lake Washington. It’s been converted to public housing, community center, public beaches, sports fields, NOAA offices, restaurants, etc. The first two pics are near a spot my church uses for its annual picnic. Those black triangles sticking out of the ground are from decommissioned submarines. Each has a plaque about the sub it came from.
4391c59467e002346f0423bbd36f623f.jpg

3d5911d233bc449d4f3b8b057c4305e1.jpg

This next photo is at a nearby boat launch. I’ll have to come back here in the summer and take another picture. There are mountains behind those clouds!
a994a4256c2969d935cde8046bf5bf97.jpg

This last picture is from an area with restaurants and small watercraft launches.
281b18c155eea8e28b3e9e9b1b5ae60a.jpg

All in all, it was a good first day out of the nest. Honestly, I didn’t want to come home just yet. But we needed to eat dinner, and I didn’t think Mrs. Rev would be too happy. [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you rode to a place to have coffee other than The Wick?

It's like I don't even know you, any more ....

:sun:

Hi Ryan,

Welcome to the world of riding and writing. Good first ride report and photos; you have a gorgeous bike.

Please consider taking the MSF Basic Rider Course. I too taught myself to ride on my first bike, but then when I got back into riding decades later I took the BRC and it really did help me quite a bit.

Please consider taking the MSF Basic Rider Course. I too taught myself to ride on my first bike, but then when I got back into riding decades later I took the BRC and it really did help me quite a bit.

My story is identical, and I cannot echo that suggestion for MSF loud enough. It is so worth the time and effort no matter your skill level.

Welcome back to the bike. You need to get that bike looked at. 30 minutes to go 5 miles? Maybe bad gas. [emoji23]

Nice looking bike! Nice photos too.

Hi Ryan,

Welcome to the world of riding and writing. Good first ride report and photos; you have a gorgeous bike.

The MSF is great. I think it’s a requirement in Texas to get your license. It was in 2009 when I got mine.

"Any ride you can walk away from is a good ride"

Congrats on breaking the neighborhood barrier. It is common for rookies to have lots of esoteric questions so feel free to ask this forum. I've never seen any dog-piling rookies for basic questions. We all were rookies at some point.
Even better if you can find a riding mentor locally. I had one and it helped tremendously. Luckily, my mentor is extremely safety conscientious even though he rode sportbikes.

For those right turns: try approaching the stop in the left edge of the lane and stopping at an angle to the turn rather than fully perpendicular. Then you are starting with only a portion of the turn remaining and can start the first few feet with the handlebars straight and then drop into the turn. It is a bit further to look over your shoulder to check for clear traffic, but that helps reinforce turning your head rather than just using the peripheral view.

Hi Ryan,

I took the BRC before I got my endorsement. I’m new to riding and wanted a good foundation to build on. My rides through the neighborhood have incorporated practicing those skills. The park I rode to has nice big parking lots to practice in. So I’ll be headed over there as much as I can before the weather turns beautiful and those parking lots fill up. I also plan on taking more riding courses to further develop my skills.

Last edited:
Welcome back to the bike. You need to get that bike looked at. 30 minutes to go 5 miles? Maybe bad gas. [emoji23]

Nice looking bike! Nice photos too.

Lol! Nah, just A LOT of stopping and starting...and slow speed limits.

So you rode to a place to have coffee other than The Wick?

It's like I don't even know you, any more ....

:sun:

I plan on making my way there. It was a little farther than I wanted to ride in traffic on my first day out. But they also opened a new shop in a Triumph dealership not that far from me. It’s definitely on my list of things to try.

Great looking Beemer, Rev. Keep building up those miles.

A couple of recommendations for a new BMW rider. If you haven't already, consider joining the BMW MOA or the BMW RA. Well worth the membership fee if just for the magazines and info. Find local BMW clubs. The MOA has 3 chartered clubs in WA. Attend a couple scheduled events/meets, widen that circle of fellow riders.

Enjoy the new passion, it's addictive and legal.

As a guy that came to motorcycles later in life (late 30's), I remember exactly the same series of events. Mine started with a 2-mile commute to work all on in-town, mostly residential backroads. After several weeks of this, I did my first "out of town" ride - just about one hour on highways and FM roads. Highway traffic scared the poo outa me! The ride back home wasn't much better, but after a couple more of these, it was no big deal at all.

Well my comment is off topic a bit but I just wanted to mention an interesting coincidence...or providence that I have yet to determine. This past Sunday, Keith Carpenter, church planter/pastor of Epic Life Church in Seattle was the guest speaker in my church here in Fort Worth. Additionally, my Pastor, Dale Braswell, was formerly a church planter/pastor in Seattle. Perhaps the most relevant piece of information for you is that they have a thriving coffee ministry. www.pilgrimcoffeehouse.com https://epiclifechurch.org/ Might be a good excuse for a ride. Enjoy the bike. I like your story.

I took the BRC before I got my endorsement.
That's so good to hear. Sorry, I didn't get that from your original post as it read like you were self-taught. So... since you did take it, what are your thoughts on it as a new rider?

As to the turning right thing, yeah, me too. It's a constant focus for me.

100 miles today, 1000 miles next week. We can meet up somewhere in between WA and NV. Although we have sunshine and mid 60's here now...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

So... since you did take it, what are your thoughts on it as a new rider?

It was well worth the money (as a bonus, WA subsidizes the cost of the class for state residents, so it wasn’t that expensive). I was nervous as it was my first time ever on a moving motorcycle. Doing it in a safe environment was definitely the way to go. It gave me confidence for when I actually took mine out on the road.

I plan on making my way there. It was a little farther than I wanted to ride in traffic on my first day out. But they also opened a new shop in a Triumph dealership not that far from me. It’s definitely on my list of things to try.

My daughter works out of the one at Motoshed on Queen Anne.

Back