• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

LED Headlight Bulb

Reaction score
Hello Guys,

Has anyone changed to LED Headlight Bulb? I do see a lot of them in Ebay, but not sure which one to pick ? Do you have any recommendation for the Lumens and power output?

Thanks,
Sanjeevi

Cyclops brand is what Im using and have installed a few dozen in others bikes. No failures yet in several years. The latest Gen 7400 lumen Ive only had in use a few months so need some more months to determine longevity...

Understand that this can be very hit or miss. Headlight reflectors designed for halogen bulbs do not work well with all LED bulbs. The light pattern will often be very different and blinding to oncoming traffic.

I've been exposed to this LED unit by another forum member recently.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017M566T4/?tag=twowhetex-20

I know that Osram is a manufacturer of lamps/bulbs for the semi-conductor industry so I believe them to be a trusted supplier of high quality lamps/bulbs. The person who turned me on to these has 2 in his Vstrom and they are extremely bright compared to my stock bulbs in my Vstrom. This brand also has choices in various types of bulbs (i.e. h4, h7, and etc) so hopefully you can find something you like. I am ordering 2 today and hopefully they will be in by the weekend thanks to amazon Prime.

I've been exposed to this LED unit by another forum member recently.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017M566T4/?tag=twowhetex-20

I know that Osram is a manufacturer of lamps/bulbs for the semi-conductor industry so I believe them to be a trusted supplier of high quality lamps/bulbs. The person who turned me on to these has 2 in his Vstrom and they are extremely bright compared to my stock bulbs in my Vstrom. This brand also has choices in various types of bulbs (i.e. h4, h7, and etc) so hopefully you can find something you like. I am ordering 2 today and hopefully they will be in by the weekend thanks to amazon Prime.

I just discovered after receiving my lights today that there are two per package, just FYI.

The automotive bulbs at superbrightleds.com might also be worth a look. The headlight LED there uses Cree elements designed specifically for use in halogen lens housings.

FWIW the bulbs I got in that Link installed fairly simply and are brighter for sure. So far so good but I can't speak as to longevity. I doubt there will be issues though.

I replaced the low beam, high beam, tail/brake, turn signals with LEDs. Stock filament bulbs in headlight were terrible. Overdriven the illumination beam at 50 mph. I put LED H7 bulbs in each the low and high beam and they make a huge difference to say the least. Much brighter with a superior beam pattern which illuminates everything. I used the below in the 3600lm model since the base was smaller which allowed the rubber bulb boot to slide on without modifications.
Fuploads%2Fmain_image%2F000%2F030%2F476%2Foriginal.jpg

Ultra Bright H7 CREE LED Lights

Check out the deal on Ultra Bright H7 CREE LED Lights at WingStuff.com
?image=https%3A%2F%2Fwingstuff.com%2Ffavicon-32x32.png
wingstuff.com
I would also recommend the below if the above models are not availabl:

Brite-Lites Platinum H7 DC LED Headlight Conversion Kit - BL-H7R3LEDKIT Cruiser Motorcycle | Dennis Kirk

Find the Brite-Lites Platinum H7 DC LED Headlight Conversion Kit - BL-H7R3LEDKIT at Dennis Kirk. Shop our complete selection of Cruiser Motorcycle parts and accessories including the Brite-Lites Platinum H7 DC LED Headlight Conversion Kit - BL-H7R3LEDKIT.
%2F528afcffc0%2Fimages%2Ficons%2Ftouch-icon-iphone.png
www.denniskirk.com
I prefer the models with the braided heatsink as I have had the Pathfinder model from SoCalmotorgear.com on my Honda F6B which are seen below and performed well but not as good as the ShowChrome.
almotogear.com%2Fv%2Fvspfiles%2Fphotos%2FG18H7S-2T.jpg

PATHFINDERLED H7 LED HEADLIGHT FOR MOTORCYCLES - PLUG N PLAY

PATHFINDERLED H7 LED HEADLIGHT - PLUG N PLAY LIGHTING
www.socalmotogear.com
I replace the turn signals and tail/brake light with Sylvania Premium

SYLVANIA 7506 AMBER LED Mini Bulb, 2 Pack

SYLVANIA LED bulbs deliver a balanced combination of performance and value. Tuners and auto enthusiasts alike can replace their vehicle’s incandescent lights with a bright and long-lasting LED bulb for a unique and modern look in a simple and cost effective way.
t%2Fdw898e07bc%2Fimages%2Ffavicons%2Ffavicon-32x32.png
www.sylvania-automotive.com

SYLVANIA 7506R RED SYL LED Mini Bulb, 2 Pack

SYLVANIA LED bulbs deliver a balanced combination of performance and value. Tuners and auto enthusiasts alike can replace their vehicle’s incandescent lights with a bright and long-lasting LED bulb for a unique and modern look in a simple and cost effective way.
t%2Fdw898e07bc%2Fimages%2Ffavicons%2Ffavicon-32x32.png
www.sylvania-automotive.com
Lastly, you have to replace the turn signal relay below the left side cover with a LED relay so they will blink normal instead of fast.

There is a very distinct cutoff just like stock. The brighter illumination beam is wider and further while being pure white instead of yellowish. I also replaced the 4 headlamps in my Honda F6B which I owned before the Bandit 1250 with the same benefit. I find that others that have had beam issues either do not have the bulb seated correctly or have the bulb installed slightly twisted with the LEDs not perpendicular. On my F6B, I adjusted the twist which made a huge difference in beam pattern. The bulbs originally came just a tad off from perpendicular which washed the pattern into a smear. The SoCal H7s had a small hex in the collar that held the bulb into the housing that you could loosen and twist to adjust. I would never go back to filament bulbs after the positive experiences I had with the F6B and Bandit LEDs. Brighter filament bulbs run hot and have a shorter life than standard filament bulbs. By the way, Motorcyle bulbs are different than auto bulbs. Motorcyle bulbs are heavy duty with thicker filaments and connections to deal with vibration. Look at the back of Sylvania packages at life expectancy which can be as low as 80 hrs on their brightest bulbs. That works out to less than a year if riding 2 hours on the weekends. The below picture is not mine but taken from the website I got my H7 LEDs for my F6B. I kid you not, that is exactly the difference. I also replaced them years ago in my wife’s old van which you can see there is no beam pattern problem.

Attachments​

• 284890-dc01d19bd8e3720dabcb96848f8d42d8.png
    ADFF5052-4B4E-4E83-8435-952E37BC5C1A.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 284891-d0981d0ec8276732a8148e1dabf8492b.jpg
    C1A83975-94D5-4034-8C77-F407A057EAEE.jpeg
    105.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 284892-6893c9a824cec358862accd669ca064e.jpg
    707448C3-61D4-4CF3-AEC3-2B7DA6E9B008.jpeg
    177.9 KB · Views: 2

I agree that most halogen replacement led bulbs produce more light than halogen bulbs. The real test of how good they work with halogen designed reflectors is are they blinding to on coming traffic in low beam setting and can the reflector be adjusted to not be blinding in low beam yet provide good high beam coverage.

I installed Auxito brand fanless leds in both of my V Stroms a while back. The 650 has 2 H4 type & the 2014 1000 has an H7 & H9
I took both bikes out last nite to see how the leds worked & I can say both put out more light than the orig bulbs.
The DL650 H4s had a very good low beam cutoff & a wide beam spread. High beam was also good.
The DL1000 H7 low beam cutoff wasnt quite as distinct but still workable & may be improved with some adjustment. Beam spread was also good. The H9 high beam had good spread too.

I have an xtra set of the H7 H9 leds if someone needs them

I bought an H7 bulb from ARC Lighting; the distance between the two prongs on the new bulb were 4-5mm smaller than the OEM bulb (and stock connector on the harness). Swapped that bulb for a newer version from ARC, and same problem! I'm dumbfounded - are there two different H7 standards or something?

H7 bulb prongs.jpg

I bought an H7 bulb from ARC Lighting; the distance between the two prongs on the new bulb were 4-5mm smaller than the OEM bulb (and stock connector on the harness). Swapped that bulb for a newer version from ARC, and same problem! I'm dumbfounded - are there two different H7 standards or something?

View attachment 349588
The rubber plug on the OEM bulb with the 2 prongs separates from the bulb. it is an adapter. Your new smaller plug will plug into the rubber adapter then the adapter to the bike’s harness. That is why the plug and play bulbs from Pathfinder, Electrical Connections, Big Bike Parts / ShowChrome are preferred. Direct connection without the adapter.

The rubber plug on the OEM bulb with the 2 prongs separates from the bulb. it is an adapter. Your new smaller plug will plug into the rubber adapter then the adapter to the bike’s harness.

HOLY $%^@$%@!!!!!

You're a lifesaver! I feel simultaneously stoopid, and SMDH at why Suzuki did that... :-D

Back