• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

LED strips for brake lights

Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
I got a new Givi top box for the bike and wanted to add LED lighting to it. The old box it replaced had an AdMore LED lighting kit and I loved it and wanted the same for the new box. It has running, turn signal and brake light capability. Unfortunately I read mixed reviews about the lights not being bright enough. If all the reviews were solid, I would've been OK with spending the $170ish for the kit.

Givi makes a brake light only kit, but again, mixed reviews. Many stated that the lights failed due to poor connectors.

I decided to piece together something myself and really didn't know where to start. It seems like most of these are made in China, but I at least wanted to go with a larger company versus some Amazon or Ebay vendor so I went with superbrightleds.com.

I went with the brightest ones that weren't too pricey, but would fit behind the lens of the box. These aren't weather proof, but the lens is decently sealed so I'm hoping they stay dry. Overall, I spent $40 but really bought too much and could do it all over for about $20.

Attachments

• 20190307_171302_resized.jpg
    20190307_171302_resized.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 239
  • 20190307_171906_resized.jpg
    20190307_171906_resized.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 237
  • 20190307_171929_resized.jpg
    20190307_171929_resized.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 232
  • 20190307_172020_resized.jpg
    20190307_172020_resized.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 253
Good work on the lights. They are one of those things that are relatively simple yet still takes getting into our system to get it done. Electrical is witch craft.

I used these LED light strips I got off Amazon for my blinkers. They're holding up alright so far, less than $10 for the pair so if they ever go out, not a biggie.

I bough this one to mount on my MXHauler via trlr plug.

Looks great.
I added a flash modulator to the top case brake light. It flashes several times and then goes solid. Real attention getting. I suppose it could become annoying when following in stop-n-go traffic, but I'll take that hit for the increased visibility it provides.

I used these LED light strips I got off Amazon for my blinkers. They're holding up alright so far, less than $10 for the pair so if they ever go out, not a biggie.

I actually looked at those during my research but wasn't sure if they would fit under the lenses.

Just an update, but this is more about Givi than the lights themselves. I wasn't sure how weatherproof the lenses are but decided to run them as-is unless I noted something. I hadn't gotten around to it and haven't ridden it in any rain since adding the lights. Washed the bike this morning and decided not to take it easy near the lenses to test the factory seals.

Turns out they were inadequate and a few small drops made the way in. Fortunately the factory foam gasket peeled off easily leaving a clean surface to add some silicone.

I actually looked at those during my research but wasn't sure if they would fit under the lenses.

Just an update, but this is more about Givi than the lights themselves. I wasn't sure how weatherproof the lenses are but decided to run them as-is unless I noted something. I hadn't gotten around to it and haven't ridden it in any rain since adding the lights. Washed the bike this morning and decided not to take it easy near the lenses to test the factory seals.

Turns out they were inadequate and a few small drops made the way in. Fortunately the factory foam gasket peeled off easily leaving a clean surface to add some silicone.
Good you found that only washing the bike instead of on the road in a downpour. Keep us updated. a better seal hopefully takes care of it.

Back