• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Let’s have a little photo fun while we’re locked down

Ok back to the pics.This was from earlier in se
C5F6C790-D116-4B7F-83D2-E1DF37A9B70B.jpeg

And that's a wrap for today! There were MANY more shots, but they didn't make the cut and got nuked. The keep ratio for me has been getting better, but there are still tons that just get deleted. It is extremely difficult to get the focus set on what I want and keep it there long enough to push the button. I tend to rock back and forth slowly after a deep exhale and take multiple shots as the focal plane shifts back and forth across my desired subject. It is also just REALLY hard to hold STILL while hunched over, off balance, etc... while holding a fairly heavy camera setup. These shots are ALL handheld. Using a tripod would be virtually impossible. I really need to get me some decent knee pads for kneeling on the ground. That would help tremendously!
s-l400.jpg
another Fine Photo essay

put your son to work and get us a live-fire firefly, nite ops.

I bet you could run the Google machine and find out the names of those bugs

I thought this was a Texas persimmon but it looked just a bit different. I used Google Lens and it came back as a gum tree. Amazing how it works
ML504_IMG0024.jpg

Sideroxylon lanuginosum
Sideroxylon lanuginosum Michx.
Gum Bumelia, Gum Bully, Woollybucket Bumelia, Woolly Bumelia, Gum Woollybucket, Woolly Buckthorn, Chittamwood, Shittamwood, Gum Elastic, Coma, Black Haw

I have an account at iNaturalist.org where I can upload images and seek identification.

I've not uploaded any images in a while though (at least not from this Spring).

The native green anoles are losing ground to the invasive So Amer brown species.
This poor guy looks like he barely survived a cat or bird attack. Just a smartphone snapshot.
image.jpeg

^^^
It is amazing how they can loose their tail and grow a new one. The one they loose to a predator continues to wiggle. It fascinated me as a kid. That big red pouch under their throat is cool also how they change colors. Amazing.

You do know they change color ? Or am I missing something, I was not aware there was another species of anole.

Nice pic
"Brown anoles are native to Cuba and the Bahamas where they inhabit almost any ecosystem and encounter natural predators that help maintain the brown anole populations. In the United States Anolis sagrei is able to rapidly spread along the southeastern United States due to its diet and habitat adaptability. Brown anoles displace green anoles (Anolis carolensis) from their habitats and compete with the native lizards for food and territory. Both anoles species have been observed to eat the other species’ eggs, but despite this similar trait, brown anoles cause a significant reduction in green anole populations wherever they are present. The displacement and population reduction of green anoles will cause an imbalance in a wide variety of habitats. Anolis sagrei is known to transmit parasites to new environments in Hawaii. With the invasive brown anole living in the same habitat as green anoles they could be transmitting invasive parasites or bacteria that are fatal to the native lizard populations "

I did err that they originate from Cuba and the Bahamas rather than So Amer.

"Brown anoles are native to Cuba and the Bahamas where they inhabit almost any ecosystem and encounter natural predators that help maintain the brown anole populations. In the United States Anolis sagrei is able to rapidly spread along the southeastern United States due to its diet and habitat adaptability. Brown anoles displace green anoles (Anolis carolensis) from their habitats and compete with the native lizards for food and territory. Both anoles species have been observed to eat the other species’ eggs, but despite this similar trait, brown anoles cause a significant reduction in green anole populations wherever they are present. The displacement and population reduction of green anoles will cause an imbalance in a wide variety of habitats. Anolis sagrei is known to transmit parasites to new environments in Hawaii. With the invasive brown anole living in the same habitat as green anoles they could be transmitting invasive parasites or bacteria that are fatal to the native lizard populations "

I did err that they originate from Cuba and the Bahamas rather than So Amer.
Iv never seen an anole of any type in north central Texas but saw a few green ones in East TX. The green ones were everywhere in Florida when I was there back in 2004.
The gecko is something new to North TX. We had them in the tropics when I was young but they have showed up on my place in rural north TX about five years ago and now I see 6-8 every evening when it’s warm.

HERPS....

Dukey... thanks for the lesson! Wow, pretty sure I have not seen this one. Brown anole
225.png

Tim. I do know the geckos that I commonly see are known as Mediterranean geckos. Not sure if their name is indicative of their origin, however common names are what they are, common and not truly descriptive
220px-Hemidactylus_turcicus.jpg
genus...hemidactylus

Last edited:
I was wandering aimlessly around my backyard in an isolation stupor when I saw a bunch of different bugs on what is supposed to be a garden box in our back yard but which is in reality a weed factory. So I shambled inside to grab my camera...

These images are of Zebra Longhorn Beetles. They are often found in the Pink Ladies (the pink flower).

I've no idea what these little beetles are called, but these two were serious about carrying on the species! Nothing I did was going to interrupt them :-P

There was a lot of carrying on all over the place... Must be like Spring Break for these folks :-P

I also found some Lady Bugs in progress

Back