• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Let's Ride the Western Loop Jan 26th Report

Reaction score
Things started out with a slightly cooler and cloudier than expected morning, but everyone was ready to roll and we met up in the Valero parking lot just off of I10.

Most everyone grabbed breakfast at the McDonalds inside and met outside for a start time scheduled at 9AM.

DSC_0001_zps7d219a72.jpg

Everyone gearing up and getting ready to roll.

DSC_0003_zpsd1c8d593.jpg

We had a slight mix up at the (first)? water crossing of the day, DoctorZ hit a real slick patch on his KTM625 and it almost went into the deep end.

DSC_0004_zpsc440bc1b.jpg

I wasn't able to grab a photo of it in the water still as I was hurrying over to help him pull it out before it went all the way in :eek2:

This is where it happened -

DSC_0006_zps07db84af.jpg

Other side of creek

DSC_0007_zpsc3e98e13.jpg

No real harm done! A few mud clumps and grass twigs removed and we were ready to move on. ( after about 5 attempts to push start it)

DSC_0008_zps7311c17f.jpg

Here is my bike still yet to make the first crossing of the day.. I hopped off to help Doctor Z

DSC_0010_zps135c3f41.jpg

Here is Doctor Z's KTM at one of the first stops... I think we stopped because Lefty had his first flat (more to come :lol2:)

DSC_0011_zpsa2aff354.jpg

Here is KingHam's Brand New Yamaha Super Tenere! I've read great things about these bikes... :trust: I think he was getting it dirty for the first time that day.. It only had about 500 miles on it at that point..

DSC_0013_zpsd41dcb92.jpg

Here is the kind gentleman that welcomed us onto his property..

DSC_0014_zps102ce7e3.jpg

My Tenere and Johns(?) XR650R

DSC_0015_zpsb5070caf.jpg

Lefty and Ken getting Lefty's KLR front tube slimed up and ready to move down the road

DSC_0017_zpsc5d9ae9f.jpg

DSC_0018_zps7f02f49d.jpg

Cagiva65's Cagiva

DSC_0019_zpsb6e998ae.jpg

Beautiful roads and scenery that only got better as the day went on..

DSC_0020_zpse5f8ed99.jpg

GS Rider who joined our group that morning at Doctor Z's first "rest stop"-- he was in from Kileen.. I do not remember his name,(my bad) he's not a TwTex member yet but we sure tried to convince him to join up!

DSC_0022_zpsf36824b7.jpg

A few miles later Lefty's front tire had gone flat again so they pulled the front tire to try and find out what was going on... I got to witness my first in person dual sport propped up on a boulder :clap: Was pretty cool to see it in person rather than just reading ride reports :lol2:

DSC_0023_zps5e0a39e1.jpg

KingHam being Lefty's best friend right here, assisting in the fix.. (Lefty is in the blue jacket and Ken is holding the tire)

DSC_0025_zps1125202f.jpg

DSC_0027_zpsf3c77155.jpg

The rest of the bikes ready and waiting to get back on the move once we've buttoned up Lefty's front tire.

DSC_0028_zps44a51f49.jpg

Doctor Z's KTM in the front of the pack ready to rock -

DSC_0030_zpsc8f3addb.jpg

Doctor Z photo op!

DSC_0031_zps38cac64d.jpg

This is the furthest away I've ever seen a GS from Starbucks in person :rofl:

DSC_0033_zps03bc4351.jpg

Here is the culprit Ken found that was puncturing Lefty's front tube.. That was one nasty thorn, Ken cut it apart and pushed it out with a screwdriver.

DSC_0036_zpscaf1b256.jpg

DSC_0036_zpscaf1b256.jpg

Cagiva65 had a slight mishap on the turn before this one so I had a second to take some shots... Still no photo's of the get off, I'm too worried the rider is hurt to take a picture before trying to help get the bike off them.. I know this is against some sort of picture rule but...

DSC_0039_zps4f2e8be5.jpg

DSC_0040_zpsb94af139.jpg

DSC_0043_zps9d370960.jpg

Lefty's front tire is holding up great now that the thorn has been removed and he's ready to rock

DSC_0044_zpsa57ad1e6.jpg

On our next break-- Here is KingHam and Infidel figuring out part of our route

DSC_0048_zpsa6c54e6b.jpg

DSC_0049_zps22f910f1.jpg

The whole group-- The clouds were clearing up and it was starting to warm up nicely

DSC_0050_zps23c53dc2.jpg

Absolutely enjoy my Tenere.. I clicked over 13k miles on this trip... I can't wait to do more trips like these..

DSC_0052_zps8c72f2bf.jpg

John and Lefty

DSC_0053_zps4ea9bd10.jpg

Here is another water crossing -- Ken and John about to make the voyage

DSC_0054_zps55998ada.jpg

KingHam breaking in that new Tenere the right way

DSC_0055_zpscb44e68b.jpg

Heres the group at the end of the trip.. We had just finished riding Hackberry Ranch

DSC_0056_zps3700d97a.jpg

DSC_0057_zps8b84c2b0.jpg

All in all it was a great trip.. A few hundred feet before this picture I dropped my bike in the 2nd to last crossing of the day (fail) .. I was OK and so was the Tenere so all is well. I'm going to lose the Givi Crash bars as they are pretty bent after only 1 mishap.. I've ordered a set of Altrider crash bars as they seem to be much beefier..

I know others took some photo's.. I think KingHam even has some of my Tenere in the stream :giveup:

Check back in soon, I've got some GoPro video still to come, I got some new software for Christmas and I'm new at this video editing stuff so it takes a while.

BIG thanks for Infidel for organizing the trip and to Kingham for helping with directions. I think everyone had a good time and I plan to do many more trips this year.

Sure looks like fun. The Orange KLR is nice looking!

Ha! I've seen a chap right in front of me bust it where the KTM did. That's one slippery crossing. Great report!

Very nice report and great pix! Thanks for posting the RR Steven. :thumb:

Looks like a fine group of riders and beautiful bikes. Bet y'all had a ball out there.

I think the saying goes - If you ain't falling ever so often then you ain't trying hard enough.

:clap::clap::clap:

Hopefully some of you cats can join me at Hidden Falls on Feb 16th for some knarly trail riding...OR...join me for a nice street ride on March 16th for our 1st annual Texas Coastal Cruise....I know those Tenere's can handle a lot of asphalt and a little sand...

Back