• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Let's Ride to MexTrek 2008 together

Richard , put me down for N. Laredo - Galeana crossing early Monday with documents in hand and permit on the bike. There might be two or three of us so far.

If coming from north, west or central Texas, one might want to consider crossing at the Colombia bridge. It is NW of Laredo and is connected to I-35 via the Camino Colombia road. If you have never crossed here and don't like the hassle of the major crossings, you'll likely have a completely different experience at the Colombia-Solidarity crossing.

It would be out of the way for you guys in Houston.

The crossing is huge, state of the art, and is rarely crowded since it's in the middle of nowhere (it's that little "neck" of land where the state of Nuevo Leon state touches Texas).

The downside is that the crossing is not open 24 hours. Last time I checked, they were open 8AM to 11PM weekdays and even smaller windows on weekends. Check with them on the way down if you are planning on crossing back on Sunday. THis might save backtracking to crowded Laredo.

From this crossing, there's an easy connection to the east to the Monterrey toll road or a very quick connection west to old Highway 1. Old highway 1 runs all the way to the Monterrey toll loop.

The toll roads to the south of Monterrey are a piece of cake to follow. This is a fast and idiot-proof route to the western side of the Sierra Madre Orientals. However, it is super slab.

Is there an Aduana for visas and Vehicle permits there?

Yes, there is. My group got tourist permits there last year and I think one of the guys in my group got a vehicle permit there too.

check the route by eagle pass tx , piedras negras sabinas , monclova , saltillo 57 road iam sorry for my bad inglish ,, befor you get saltillo you go streigth ahed to los lirios before monterreal and you get to laguna de sanchez from the 57 to laguna de sanchez is about 60 km. and from there to cola del caballo about 20 kilometers you can go by paved road "la carretera nacional "the one from monterrey to tampico ,alot of big trucks or by umpaved the one fron laguna de sanchez to galena very escenic i live at monclova just make know befor yo come and we can have some beers and bbq at eagle pass theres is two bridge and is a very good road my phone number is 8661070108 y my email zerrweck@hotmail.com when is the trip maybe can go

Is there an Aduana for visas and Vehicle permits there?

Regards, Chango

Oh, yes. The Colombia-Solidarity crossing is a huge, full-service crossing (when they are open). After hassling with paperwork at Reynosa and downtown Nuevo Laredo, Colombia is refreshingly unreal.

Once you've gone through the paperwork process there, you'll be spoiled.

Regards,

Joel in San Antonio.

Richard,
Big A and I would like to hook up with you and Dirtbike Dave . We also are trailering down to the border and then riding in .
Rick M

Richard,
Big A and I would like to hook up with you and Dirtbike Dave . We also are trailering down to the border and then riding in .
Rick M

Sounds good. I added you to the list.

Dirtbike Dave and I are trailering to McAllen on Tuesday after work. We are going to ride from there to Galeana on Wednesday. I'm expecting to get in a little fun riding on Wednesday but, unlike last year, I won't be arriving at 11 p.m. after 15 hours of riding and the last 3 being in the dark on a narrow mountain road with a steep cliff on one side and a long drop off on the other. (I'm saving that type of riding for Thursday. :mrgreen: )

I've got a 3 bike trailer. I've offered the 3rd spot to Uncle, but he hasn't committed yet. So, it might be open.

Anyone who wants to convoy from Austin to McAllen with us is welcome.

All are welcome to ride to Galeana with Dave & I on Wednesday. Expect to ride some class 1 and 2 that day.

Hi Richard,
Thank you very much for putting so much work into our fun week:clap:
The maps and guide are great !!
Question: Why riding the extra 100 miles to Mcallen vs Laredo. Do you know something we dont?

Vinny,

Last year on our way to Galeana, my group crossed at Columbia (good crossing) and then went through Monterrey. The traffic was horrible in Monterrey and I decided that it would be faster to bypass Monterrey, even if the alternate route is a bit longer.

On our trip back last year, we rode north on the west side of the mountains, taking the toll road skirting Saltillo and then Monterrey and crossing back into Texas at Laredo. That was a much better route, traffic wise. If you are traveling from Austin to Galeana, want to make the trip in 1 day, that is the route I recommend as I believe it is the fastest route because it bypasses the traffic in Monterrey. Milton is convinced it is THE fastest route between Galeana and Austin. This route is 500 miles.

I'm choosing to go through McAllen this year for a couple of reasons. First, I could be wrong, but I don't think it is 100 miles further to go Austin - McAllen - Galeana than it is to go Austin - Laredo - toll roads around the west of Monterrey, then the east side of Saltillo - Galeana. I think the McAllen route is only 15-20 miles further. Second, I don't think it is as far from McAllen to Galeana as it is from Laredo to Galeana. I think McAllen - Galeana is shorter than Laredo-Galeana via the toll route. I'm pre-positioning myself by trailering to the border Tuesday evening and going to McAllen minimizes the maddening slab/traffic time on Wednesday. Of course, this is assuming that the roads from McAllen over to Galeana aren't under construction or have some other time-killing, traffic snarling obstacle on them.

Edit: Using mapsource I plotted the routes/distances from south Austin:
Austin - Laredo - Galeana via toll roads around Monterrey and Saltillo = 505 miles
Austin - McAllen - Galeana = 511 miles

Last edited:
Planning on leaving far Northwest Houston around 5:00am Wednesday, trucking or trailering the bikes (depending on how many go- Dave Bell committed and I've been talking to a couple others in Houston) down to Donna, near McAllen, then crossing the border in McAllen around 1:00-2:00pm. Returning at first light Sunday.

Those of you planning to cross at McAllen will actually be crossing at Hidalgo which is only a few miles down HWY 281 from where I live in Pharr. I would like to hook up with anyone crossing there Wednesday morning or earlier. I noticed my earlier post was not specific enough to get me on any list so thought I needed to clear that up. Thanks.

PharrSide,

I've added you to the Mcallen crossing list.

Will be pulling two bikes in Wed.Will go in at Laredo are McAllen.If Laredo will cross in Tuesday and leave early Wed.morning for Galeana.Not sure but it looks like about 5 hours?Did a wire transfer for room in Galeana for four days.

Planning on leaving far Northwest Houston around 5:00am Wednesday, trucking or trailering the bikes (depending on how many go- Dave Bell committed and I've been talking to a couple others in Houston) down to Donna, near McAllen, then crossing the border in McAllen around 1:00-2:00pm. Returning at first light Sunday.

Unless something changes, I plan on riding down with these two.

Richard,
I plan to ride with you and the group from McAllen on Wed. Will arrive in the area on Tues night from florida. I plan to leave my truck and trailer at the McAllen airport. As of now I will be driveing in by myself so I will need to meet you somewhere on Wed Morning. Any Ideas on Motels in the Mc Allen area??? If you wish it would be usefull if I had your Cell phone #.
Cotton Morlock Cell 904-333-1072

Planning to cross at Colombia on Tuesday morning. Anybody know of a safe place to leave car and trailer nearby?

Planning to cross at Colombia on Tuesday morning. Anybody know of a safe place to leave car and trailer nearby?
Richard past thru there last year. he might know.

If not here is some info. with phone#'s.

Bridge III
Colombia Solidarity Bridge
Non-Commercial & Commercial
FM 3464 at FM 1472
ph.(956) 417-5800
ph.(956) 729-2060
fax:(956) 417-5801
Non-Commercial Traffic
8 a.m. - 12 a.m.
7 days a week
Office Hours
8 a.m. - 12 a.m. Mon - Fri
8 a.m. - 4 p.m. Sat. & Sun.
Commercial Hours
9 am. - 12 am. Mon - Fri
10 am. - 4 pm Saturday
12 pm. - 4 pm Sunday
Method of Payment
Cash, Prepaid & Commercial
& Non-Commercial A.V.I.
Commercial Parking Lot 7 days a week
8 am to 12 am
$15 a day

I called the bridge office, and they indicated that the city operates a secure parking lot there. The rate is $15/day, and that will include my small trailer.

Ron,

I don't know of any secure parking at the Columbia crossing, but I have worked out secure parking in Laredo.

Secure Trailer Lots
$75 for 5 days or $20 per day
877-819-9526

Secure trailer lots provides a fenced/guarded compound for 18 wheeler trailers and have agreed to let riders park vehicles/trailers at their facility in Laredo for the special rate of $75 for 5 days. Anyone who wants to do this needs to call in advance to make a reservation and pay the fee in advance.

The reason I did this is because the Laredo airport only has open parking - no fees, but no fence, guards, etc.

Riders,

I will be staying at the Motel 6 in McAllen on Tuesday evening and then again on Saturday evening.

Motel 6 Mcallen #212
700 W Expressway 83
US 83 at 2nd st
Mcallen, TX, 78501
Phone: (956) 687-3700 | Fax: (956) 630-3180
Reservation Phone: 1-800-466-8356

Anyone trailering from Dallas or Houston with trailer space for an XR650L?

I will help with Gas.

Otherwise, I'll swap tires and think twice about riding that friggan far on my XR650L.... AGAIN!

Back