• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Let's Ride to MexTrek 2008 together

Reaction score
Put me down for trailering down to McAllen from Austin on Tuesday Evening to meet up at Motel 6.

If anyone wants to consolidate before leaving Austin PM me, I'll need to mount a wheel chock ahead of time. I'll be leaving the CRV and trailer at the Airport and riding out to Galeana.

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
Richard,
I plan to ride with you and the group from McAllen on Wed. Will arrive in the area on Tues night from florida. I plan to leave my truck and trailer at the McAllen airport. As of now I will be driveing in by myself so I will need to meet you somewhere on Wed Morning. Any Ideas on Motels in the Mc Allen area??? If you wish it would be usefull if I had your Cell phone #.
Cotton Morlock Cell 904-333-1072

Cotton and anyone else that wants to meet up in McAllen on Wednesday morning,

I'm staying at the Motel 6 in McAllen on Tuesday night. I expect to arrive around midnight.

My cell number is 512-203-6143.

For anyone who wants to link up with my group on Wednesday morning, let's meet at 9 a.m. in the Motel 6 parking lot, tanks full of gas, and ready to ride.

I'll probably eat breakfast at a local restaurant prior to our link up. If anyone wants to link up for breakfast, let's meet in the Motel 6 parking lot at 7:30 a.m.

If possible, get your tourist and vehicle import paperwork done before 9 a.m. on Wednesday morning (I'm going to try and get my paperwork done at midnight on Tuesday when I arrive.). If we all have our paperwork done prior to 9 a.m. on Wednesday, then we should be able to cross the border pretty quickly, with only a stop to exchange money.

I'm planning on making a fun day of the ride. We will slab from McAllen - Reynosa - Hwy 40 west to General Bravo - Hwy 35 southwest through China to Montemorelos - Hwy 85 north to Hwy 2 - Here's where the fun begins, Hwy 2 southwest to Rayones - north & west from Rayones on dirt to Cienaga - South from Cienaga on dirt through Mimbres - Deiciocho - Galeana (time permiting, of course. If we run into any unexpected adventure along the way that eats up our time, then we will modify the route as necessary so we arrive in Galeana prior to dark. In the spirit of full disclosure, I said that last year and we ended up riding the DS dragon for 3 hours in the dark and didn't arrive in Galeana until 10 p.m. :-P But, this year I swear I'm a reformed man. Honest. )

Last edited:

Jerry

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
- Here's where the fun begins, Hwy 2 southwest to Rayones - north & west from Rayones on dirt to Cienaga - South from Cienaga on dirt through Mimbres - Deiciocho - Galeana (time permiting, of course. If we run into any ...unexpected adventure...

You know... this could be a real intresting ride in the daylight. I've wondered over the past year what was out there - in that dark black abyss on the right side of the road. Let's go find out!

Reservations made. TKC-80's mounted. See y'all in McAllen! :rider:

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
So If I was to take off on this, What does it take to get me and the bike across he border? I do not have a passport.:giveup:

Previously, the US Gov said a passport would be required in 2008. However, the most recent info I've received is that the passport requirement has been delayed until further notice.

If this is true, then it means you do not need a passport to attend MexTrek this year. You can use a certified copy of your birth certificate (the certificate issued by the State, not by the hospital) to get yourself into and out of Mexico.

To get your bike across the border you need: the registration or title for your bike, your drivers license, and a credit card (or $500 cash to post as a bond). The registration or title (whichever one you are using) must perfectly match your drivers license (exact same name & address).

Reaction score
I've never driven down to McAllen. What's the best route once south of San Antonio? Interstate 37 to US 281 all the way to McAllen?

Reaction score
First Name
Dale
Last Name
Gibson
I've never driven down to McAllen. What's the best route once south of San Antonio? Interstate 37 to US 281 all the way to McAllen?

I'll just jump in here since I live down here and have made that trip hundreds of times. The "best" way is 37 past the 281 exit and take the 59 exit. Get on 281 in George west. Just disregard the 281 exit which takes you through Three Rivers and George West. That doesn't sound like much difference but it saves about 30 minutes. Dale

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
Riders,

My buddy Dirtbike Dave has a reserved room with a double bed at the Motel 6 in McAllen on Tuesday night and on Saturday night. He is looking for someone to share the room with. If you want to save some money and don't mind a roommate, please PM Dave or post up here.

Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Skupnjak
Riders,

My buddy Dirtbike Dave has a reserved room with a double bed at the Motel 6 in McAllen on Tuesday night and on Saturday night. He is looking for someone to share the room with. If you want to save some money and don't mind a roommate, please PM Dave or post up here.

I would be interested if it's still open.

Reaction score
So say I pay this $500 bond, how soon we get it back once we get back? Is this bond posted with Mexican govt....kindy scary considering my pass experiences with their corruption:eek2:

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
So say I pay this $500 bond, how soon we get it back once we get back? Is this bond posted with Mexican govt....kindy scary considering my pass experiences with their corruption:eek2:

If you pay with cash, you will get the money back when you check out of Mexico. At least that's my understanding. I've never paid with cash so I can only go by what I've heard.

I use a credit card to post the bond and, as I recall, the $ is put back on the card when you check the bike out of Mexico.

Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Skupnjak

I would not worry. You have folks crossing the border fairly regularly. My concern was more if I had to cancel at the last minute since you can only get the refund at the border. I guess I would have to ride down just to get my refund.:rider:

Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Skupnjak
If you pay with cash, you will get the money back when you check out of Mexico. At least that's my understanding. I've never paid with cash so I can only go by what I've heard.

I use a credit card to post the bond and, as I recall, the $ is put back on the card when you check the bike out of Mexico.

In some ways I think it's better to just do the paper work at the border that way you get charged on your credit card when you cross in and get the refund a few days later when you cross out. That's why you probably did not notice the charge since the two transactions canceled fairly quickly. Since I did mine early at the Consulate the charge actuall goes through and shows up as being paid. Not a big deal.

C

Chango

I am still planning on crossing at Laredo Monday morning . Spending the night near Cola de Caballo and from Laguna de Sanchez
its to Galeana via Mesa de Oso route . A very challenging Class 1 & 2.
I have room on my trailer for another bike .

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
skup,

I spoke with Dave this morning and the spot is filled. A buddy of his spoke up for it last night.

Vinny

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Vinny
Chango,
If I dont go rock climbing (weather, etc) on Tuesday I would like to join you on this. I'll be going on Monday also.
Vinny

I am still planning on crossing at Laredo Monday morning . Spending the night near Cola de Caballo and from Laguna de Sanchez
its to Galeana via Mesa de Oso route . A very challenging Class 1 & 2.
I have room on my trailer for another bike .

Reaction score
This thread has caught my attention as I bet it has others------as I've tired of the copper canyon area and I said awhile back I'd not go back to Mexico till I found something else that interested me. Sounds like some great riding :rider:

Thanks for all the good info !!

I'm not saying I'll be at the rally yet----but I'm thinkin' about it--I don't work much anymore, but I'm on this overtime job right now that may run on passed the rally time :mrgreen:

Anyway---I just joined up here---thanks again !!!
010%20TID.jpg

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
Welcome, Big Dog. Or, since we are discussing a Mexican adventure, I should instead call you El Perro Grande.

Hope you can join us in Galeana.

Reaction score
I am leaving NC on Saturday, the 18th and plan to cross the border on Mon. or Tuesday. At least myself and maybe 2-4 others from my group will be crossing at the Los Ebanos Ferry crossing. Anybody here done that crossing or plan to on the way? Wanna hook up there?

It's the only hand-drawn ferry left on the border of the U.S. and MX.

Kenny

Reaction score
I am leaving NC on Saturday, the 18th and plan to cross the border on Mon. or Tuesday. At least myself and maybe 2-4 others from my group will be crossing at the Los Ebanos Ferry crossing. Anybody here done that crossing or plan to on the way? Wanna hook up there?

It's the only hand-drawn ferry left on the border of the U.S. and MX.

Kenny

You probably already know...there is no Banjercito to do documentation at the Los Ebanos crossing. If all permits are done, That will be an excellent start for an adventure ride. I've used it many times. Enjoy!