• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Life at 200MPH

And the Saga begins.

It started out like this. We rode almost 1000 miles over Memorial day weekend her on her 07 GSXR750 and me on my RC51. Now don't get me wrong I love that bike but the riding position is well just think Spanish Inquistion. :doh:
After our return I remarked that I would like to get something easier to travel on in the future 2 or 3 years. Well a few weeks ago she bought me an 04 Hayabusa, one owner pretty much bone stock(slip on exhaust only) never raced never wrecked. Great bike I love everything about it and really have no desire to change or hot rod it( I allready have a hotrod the RC51) BUT,,,

Well I'm not sure how things got started, but they got started so now the plan is to take the Hayabusa and Marie to Gonzalez Texas in October and see if she can get into the 200 mph Club.
We pretty much have a basic plan layed out and are starting to put things into place to make it happen.
Step #1 was 150mph and lets see if she's still interested. No sweat!
Step #2 was 185mph(indicated) on the GSXR750 she was STILL interested!:clap: Which brought us to
Step #3 Time to RIDE the Heavy Bus. She has ridden the Busa quit a bit but never in anger. Well we went out to our Top Secret Speed testing Facility(so Top Secret that the DPS doesn't even know where it is!;-) ) side by side at a 150mph me on her GSXR and her on the Heavy Bus I gave her the go ahead to fire the afterburners. Well she took off and rode it to an INDICATED 186mph and stayed there for 2 miles.
Afterward she remarked about hom much smoother it was at speed and how good the air coverage seemed. At this point she is still in the game and her attitude is GO! GO! GO!
Next up will be running over a total length thats the same as the Texas Mile. If she's still interested after running all the way up and back down in 1.5 miles then we will start the power mods. We allready have had 2 Sponsors step up to help, one has donated an $1800 Brocks racing kit and the other looks to be helping with entry fees!
Stay Tuned
SRAD
Heavy Bus Racing

Attachments

Actually there are plans for a drive by and an onboard. Speaking of which I have a few speedo pics to post this afternoon which were
"taken on a closed course by a proffessional rider using safety gear":trust:
No really trust me! Thats why we use the Top Secret High Speed Testing Facility and change the location frequently well sort of.
SRAD

Why not just go to a track day and not risk your life and others? I am not trying to be a buzzkill, just trying to be practical and keep you alive for more fun.
First off thanks for your concern, really!
you mean something like this?

Or maybe something like this?

Here's a little picture of what a Roadracing CHAMPIONSHIP gets you (and yes it's HERS)

I think this is where they say
"Been there done that got the T-Shirt":doh:

Realistically she enjoys all types of Racing and this was the next step(not ACTUALLY because she did get offered a Drag Racing sponsorship first but we weren't prepared to go that route yet) So when we bought the Heavy Bus it seemed to us to be a natural progression in her racing career.
As for endangering others. Let me be the first to say that our quest for speed will never be at someone else's risk. We live in West Texas and if you take a minute to look at the Map we have more straight flat roads than the rest of the country. Granted big speed on Public roads would be dangerous for all involved, unless said road was a seldom traveled road with one way in and one way out 20 or so miles long with no side roads. Of course this is also neglecting the fact that we pretty much have Carte Blanche at the local 1/4 mile drag strip which happens to have a little over 1.1 miles of pavement to practice on.
Did I mention that there are several airstrips here that we MIGHT be able to use?
Lastly maybe you might have overlooked we are going to a Sanctioned Event to try to get into the 200mph range.
Hang around and watch the show it should be fun!
SRAD
Heavy Bus Racing

I thought there is a quote "gentlemen's" agreement among manufacturers to limit top speed electronically to 186? Is that still an obstacle?
SparkyBlue you are absolutely right! And it took all of about 2 or 3 months after the agreement was made for someone to find out how it was done and defeat it!
Turns out it can be done with a $.25 resistor:eek2: .
This is called a TRE(Timing Retard Eliminator) Modification. The bikes have different ignition timing maps for each gear. A map in lower gears makes them more manageable and less wheelie prone. Top gear Map restricts the bikes ability to either pull to redline or run past a certain speed. By fooling the bike into thinking its always in 5th gear you get the best Map without top speed restriction.:rider:
SRAD
Heavy Bus Racing

Todays pics, sorry for the blur but the air buffeting is still a problem with the camera mount as is the vibration.
These were a few shakedown runs on HER 07 GSXR750 just to get and idea of what the winds were like.
you may have to do a little math based on the 80mph first pic.
REMEMBER these were taken on a closed course by a licensed racer wearing appropriate safety gear, not small animals were harmed in the taking of these photos
SRAD
Heavy Bus Racing

Attachments

Well things came together in a pretty big way today in the way of some sponsorship:

Brocks Titanium and Stainless Megaphone, Mapped Power Commander, MPS tether Kill Switch, Brocks Heavy duty clutch hub, and K&N air filter.
I also bought a new chain and some sprockets.
The paln right now is to do some runs upto speed and back down this weekend most likely over the 1.1 mile at the dragstrip and then maybe a few passes at the Top Secret Test Facility on GPS just to see were we are at.
Stay tuned
SRAD
Heavy Bus Racing

Well things came together in a pretty big way today in the way of some sponsorship:

Brocks Titanium and Stainless Megaphone, Mapped Power Commander, MPS tether Kill Switch, Brocks Heavy duty clutch hub, and K&N air filter.
I also bought a new chain and some sprockets.
The paln right now is to do some runs upto speed and back down this weekend most likely over the 1.1 mile at the dragstrip and then maybe a few passes at the Top Secret Test Facility on GPS just to see were we are at.
Even with all those goodies (and I assume you've already de-restricted the bike), I predict low 190s, bud. You're gonna need a lot more horsepower than stock to get past 200. Seriously, check into that Muzzy big-bore kit. The road from 191 mph to a true, verified 200 mph on a Hayabusa can be calculated in thousands of dollars per mile-per-hour.

Even with all those goodies (and I assume you've already de-restricted the bike), I predict low 190s, bud. You're gonna need a lot more horsepower than stock to get past 200. Seriously, check into that Muzzy big-bore kit. The road from 191 mph to a true, verified 200 mph on a Hayabusa can be calculated in thousands of dollars per mile-per-hour.
Deristricter is on it's way(actually called a TRE/Timing Retard Eliminator) We have realistic expectations about how things are at 200MPH. The General consensus is that stock Busa's run in the 180MPH range restricted. I'm hoping that with the Mods and a light Rider it should be possible to get close but that last few MPH takes alot of HP to overcome wind drag.
And of course things are still in the early stages, by the time all of the mods are on and a few extra horses are let loose and she does 0 - to 18o and back to 0 in 1.5 mile she may lose interest. Make no doubt about it its a daunting task and we don't have any pipe dreams about showing up making a 200MPH pass and going home.
SRAD

My de-restricted bike with a Yosh Ti system and remapping did a GPS 187 MPH. Everything else about the bike was stock. I remember Bike magazine took a stock 99, removed the mirrors and claimed they hit 195.

I will be watching this close..... one day I want to do 200+ on a bike at Bonneville.... before I get old and wise enough not to.

If you end up needing a turbo I know of a shop in west Fort Worth that has built several turbo Busas. Cyclewerkz is the name. Good people, well equipped shop with dyno, and they are true enthusiasts. Of course you probably have all the contacts and info closer to home, it is there if you need it though.

One of the key elements here is that I bought this bike to ride and the LSR thing was just an after thought. I really like this thing and although I don't mind modding it to attempt 200MPH I don't want to lose the day to day rideability. So any Mods must be easily reversable or somewhat easy, so that afterwards I can return the bike back to it's current condition, stock with Yoshimuira Slip-ons. I really don't want it to turn into a single purpose bike thats no longer streetable or capable out out of town trips, so staying in a state where the bike can be returned to stock is more important than 200MPH at this point
SRAD
Heavy Bus Racing

A small turbo to put down around 230 or so horse should do it and it would remain remarkably friendly with the boost dialed down and would be less affected by elevation changes when touring through places like Colorado, etc.:trust:

would laughing gas be the most reversible mod? (taking into consideration it doesn't grenade the engine):shrug:

I've no idea if that's even allowed at the Tx Mile.

Not really as you don't need to hit the button until nearly topped out without it.:rider:
I don't think it's going to be that simple. You're going to need that juice earlier than you think if you are going to make a 200mph pass at the Texas mile with easy bolt ons.

Aerodynamics are key at that speed. The bottle would have to be inside the body work or it would disrupt air flow. The gas hits hard, and on a top speed run would have to be on solid for a minute or more. I would worry about the stability of the flow for that long of a run. On a 9 second or less drag run it is in its element.

It will take a certain amount of power to make the speed work. There are many different ways to do that. Cam and compression alteration along with flow mods to the head is the old school way. Drawbacks to get the performance level may include reduced daily rider friendliness.

A turbo allows milder cam profiles to keep the daily usage happy, yet at high RPMs and full throttle the speed is there.

By the way, when you do the run I bet some of us will want to be there to cheer y'all on

Well trying to be realistic here I think there is a point where although more HP= more speed at some point the Bus is going to start getting hard to handle and when it reaches that point I think if it gets intimidating( trying to wheelie and spin up) she is porbably going to be intimidated so I really want to keep the power delivery as smooth and manageable as possible. Nitrous is not a bad idea in the Mid gears as I think it would get you up to speed in a shorter distance but in the first 2 or three it would most likely just try to stand up and then in top gear wheelspin becomes a major issue.
SRAD
Heavy Bus Racing

Carl, call me if you guys test at the Nine Miles this weekend. I'd like to be there. I'll let you use my GPS and I'll bring a good video camera.

My first time at Bonneville was in the P-PP 1000, M-PG 1650 and A-PG 1650 classes. Did that for 2 seasons unfaired. Hanging on, while the wind you are creating is trying to rip you off, caused a lot of instability at speed. I set records at 143.1, 176.6 and 167.4 mph respectively. No clue what the HP was...just went for it.

MPS-PG 1350 class. I had 170 RWHP at the time. The best I could get (both passes averaged) was 177 mph. A little more tweaking before the meet a month later netted me 183 mph.

The next year, I played with nitrous (MPS-PF 1350) and did quite well. I was fairly conservative so as not to leave parts and fluid all over the salt. The dyno before the meet was almost 200 RWHP. The bike was lowered to 1" off the ground and the suspension travel mechanically limited. The best I could get was 196 mph.

Season 5, I got a little more radical (1650) and had gotten up to 240 RWHP. With some body work mods done by a friend in CA with some serious CF experience, I was able to slice through a little better. The new shapes were based on "feel" of how the bike was reacting at speed. You can tell where the pressure is and where the turbulence is. Not scientific analysis by any means but you can really tell when the bike flows better. The 2 bottles of juice were now in a custom cage underneath the tail section this time. I netted passes at 3 meets between 205 and 217 mph. The average of my sequential passes came out to 213.989 mph.

Regardless of having a 2 mile run up to the 3 timed miles and better aerodynamics, about 30% of my power is lost to wheel slippage, but it is up there with the big boys in motoGP. With their 240 RWHP, 990 cc machines, 219 mph was the best they could do on the longest of straights during qualifying.

Now, regarding the lady going to ride the Busa, when you are already at 140+ mph, hitting the juice will not pick up the front end nor will the bike get squirrely because of more HP. If the bike is going to be squirrely, it's because the suspension wasn't properly setup to begin with. The nitrous can be managed by any number of systems available on the market to keep delivery smooth and predictable. At speed, hitting the juice won't exactly pin her to the rear of the seat. The battle between HP and dynamic pressure will keep acceleration pretty uneventful.

Modern bikes are awesome right of the showroom floor. A lot of disillusioned people change the gearing, lower the bike and throw in race gas thinking they can break 200. They don't understand it isn't that easy.

Areos, gearing and a buttload of HP will get you over 200. Getting the right mix is the trick.

You mean we can't just show up take off the mirrors and go 200MPH?
We are really planning on a lot of testing between now and then, hopefully with some positive results. Marie hasn't learned to"feel the air" yet and when she does I'm not sure how comfortable she is going to be trying to move around and get slippery, those things just come with seat time, and good coaching;-)
There are alot of +'s about the Texas Mile chief among them is that it is PAVED. I think the combination of salt low traction and speed would be alot to deal with so Pavement is just one more positive.
So the Plan is to do some GPS runs on Sunday anyone have any educated guesses? What about just plain guesses?
at this point the bike is bone stock except for the addition of a set of Yoshimuira slip-ons and a K&N airfilter. Gearing is to my knowledge stock. Gel seat has been added which unfortunately is about 1/2 inch taller than stock(seat of pants measurement).
So what do say? Post up your guesses for ACTUAL GPS'ed speed.
I'll start with 180MPH
SRAD
Heavy Bus Racing

Are you using the Busa's stock tires? They are, even after all these years, the only street tire certified safe for sustained speeds over 200 mph. Even race tires are deemed for intermittent bursts. Pump them up to 40 psi. A dozen Busa land speed racers can't be wrong. They taught me some LSR lessons my first couple seasons.

Regarding feeling the air...

The trick in LSR is to get the butt far back into the seat bump. No humping the tank like in road racing. As the speed increases, arching your back into a hunchback shape will help the airstrean to merge together and reattach itself at the rear of the bike. You'll know it's working when you can feel the air travel down the length of your spine and across your butt. If you can feel like your back is being "sucked" upwards, your doing too much hump. You're creating drag at that point.

The biggest problems bikes have is being so short, they can not get the airflow to reattach itself behind the bike. You get a partail vaccuum back there and when the airflow does merge, it's in the form of turbulence, which actually tries to pull you back. Small holes or slots at the lowest part of the windscreen allow some air between the rider and windscreen. This wil help prevent buffetting and will make it easier to keep the helmet where it belongs and not slow you down. It also keep the airstream from trying to get inside the space between you and the windcreen, where there would normally be a partial vaccuum, and ripping you off the bike.

Decrease the width of the bars. Steering dampers are a must and most sanctioning bodies require them. Some classes require 2.