• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Life at 200MPH

It's late I'm tired but long story short bike was lowered today pics tomorrow
SRAD
HeavyBusRacing.com

Attachments

• P1010087.jpg
    P1010087.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 170
Yeah might be a good idea to bring your gps, I'll bring my new one and Von can bring his. MAYBE after Rodger sees 3 GPS readings he might believe the sppeds!hahahahaha:giveup: :rofl:
SRAD
HeavyBusRacing.com
Just trying to keep you guys honest. BTW, Dave and Tadd should both be there. We are expecting a 190+ from tadd, but still think he'll come up short of the magical 200. Tadd weighs 210 and is about as aerodynamic as a train. Plus the bike is so wheelie prone the first 1/8mile is useless. Dave will have his extended and may even run a better number. The weather looks good for sunday and maybe catch a tail wind.

okay, I read through some of this, and just wanted to say...

Great pics, but I hope my sister doesn't see this thread. She is already too much of a daredevil, and she has been looking at the ZX14 instead of the Busa that she was looking for.

Hope your hit your mark/goal. :pirate: good luck

tell her to get what looks and feels best to her! then tell her to give me a call and she can go to the mile with us nexxt time!
Marie
HeavyBusRacing

tell her to get what looks and feels best to her! then tell her to give me a call and she can go to the mile with us nexxt time!
Marie
HeavyBusRacing

She already has something, I think an R1, I had to get involved with the shop that was lowering it, because they had her bike for 5 months to lower it.

and I would rather her not. ;-)

You know when I first started Racing all of my Family freaked out a little. But I told them this" there's no cars no dogs or deer. No oil no gravel or sand. An Ambulance is always parked right at the side of the track. Yes things do happen but realistically the Track is much safer than the Street anyday!
It's a shame it took the shop so long to lower her Bike! We did the Bus both ends in about 3 hours and thats taking account for time to take pictures.
Marie
HeavyBusRacing.com

If I would have known what she needed, I would have done it for her. Not sure why her boyfriend didn't do it. He is a mechanic, and knows about that stuff, but I think he's too lazy.

And all of those picturs of ya'll on that strip of street, not sure where that is, but it doesn't look like a track, it looks like a public street. And I didn't see an ambulance in any of those pics.

I agree with your track comments, but I don't play much on the open road. Had a friend get driven off an open road while going down old A1A from Ponde Vedra Beach to St.Augustine on a ride from an idiot that was in too much of a hurry and passing another car in a no passing lane coming right at us. we didn't have cell phones back then, so the ambulance took a long time to get there, and then they care flighted him back to Jax.

Most people don't go have their fun on a track. smart people do, but even some that do still go get stupid on the street. I know, I was one of those idiots.

And all of those picturs of ya'll on that strip of street, not sure where that is, but it doesn't look like a track, it looks like a public street. And I didn't see an ambulance in any of those pics. QUOTE]

Ok this subject has come up before so I guess this is about as good a time as any to broach the subject.
NO Street Racing thats a NoNo!
You are correct about "Testing" on a public road. Unfortunately there is just no where around here where we can get a 2 mile strip of pavement to test on. So what we end up doing is going out to one of 2 country roads that have no side roads gates etc etc then controling both ends by placing someone on each end and then making our passes. Fact of the matter is that no matter how safe and careful we are this is still not legal. But the only other option is to arrive at the Texas Mile with a untested bike and try to tune adjust there.
THe next thing if you take a look at this
http://www.oaoa.com/articles/mph_21545___article.html/peterson_marie.html
You will see that we actually rented the local 1/4mile Racetrack solely to do this interview.
WHY?
Because the last thing Motorcyclists need is a picture of someone doing 187mph on a public road in the Newspaper. Unfortunately the 1/4mile track is only 8/10ths of a mile from the fence to the dirt and thats not nearly enough length to top out or to shut down(I did 150MPH there). But the fact remains we wanted to make sure that we didn't put forth anything that even remotely looked like "Street Racing". ALL Good positive P.R. for Motorcyclists and Women.
As for the Ambulance and Track Racing comment that is exactly what I was refering to ROADRACING on A ROADCOURSE at a SANCTIONED EVENT with an Ambulance present. Which I have been doing for 6 or 7 years now.
Granted if there was a P.R. option for testing available believe me thats what we would be doing, no option, then make do the best you can with what is available.
Marie
HeavyBusRacing

So, how do you like "the *****" or "stop sign" at Hallet on a bike?

I have thought about road racing with a group of guys in the CMC/AI series, but I usually just bring the homebrew for after the races, and do all the grillin for lunch and dinner. Haven't been to the new MSR in Houston, but the kids love to go down and ride around at MSR Cresson. I have been to TWC once as well.

Hallet is still my favorite track though. :trust:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just stay safe, girl!! I was gonna volunteer to sponsor genes[as yours are so ragged] but then thought better of it. OK, OK, so my wife woulda asked a lot of questions "why are you buying a pretty girl geans?":lol2:

OK sorry everyone I should have posted yesterday but sooo much is going on! so here we go
SRAD unloads the Bus and gets ready to put it on the Swingarm pivot lift.
P1010058.jpg

OK this is where we are going. We are going to change the stock DogBones for Brock's Performance Adjustable Lowering Links. First off comes the 4 allens that hold on the Belly Pan
P1010017.jpg

P1010018.jpg

P1010019.jpg

Forget even trying a wrench on these bolts! There is no room and they are tight!
The next best thing to a strong man? A good Impact wrench! This baby spins them right out! If you have someone on the other side with a back up wrench.
P1010021.jpg

P1010023.jpg

OK before you take anything else loose! the suspension is still holding the bike up so if you take the dogbones loose the bike would fall straight down!
So the bike is on the swingarm lift in the rear and we are installing the swingarm pivot lift to support the bike. You could do the same with a floor jack under the motor if you are carefull not to let it tip.
P1010024.jpg

OK now the bike is supported by the swingarm pivot lift and the swingarm tire and wheel is supported by the swingarm stand.
P1010026.jpg

Basically I just lifted the Bus just enough to take the bind off of the bolts. Next I ,,,,, uhhhhh OOOPS!
P1010031.jpg

Once the load is off the bolts they just slide right out
P1010027.jpg

OK once the load is off the bolt just slides right out and hangs on THE TAILPIPE!
ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?
P1010028.jpg

HHHMMMMM I didn't see that in the directions anywhere!
P1010031.jpg

OFF comes the pipe, or at least loosen it up enough to get the bolt out.
P1010029.jpg

and in go the new Brock's Adjustable Links. A little note here, when you pull the stock dogbones out one points left one points right. IF you put them BOTH back in from the chain side then you don't have to worry about them hanging up on the exhaust pipe!
P1010032.jpg

OK here's the view with both bolts going the same direction
P1010035.jpg

Once you get both links in you can tighten them up
P1010050.jpg

then you can,,,,
Hello?
uh OK 15 minutes thats my Dad I gotta go pretty quick.
P1010052.jpg

P1010049.jpg

Adjust them one at a time just a 1/2 turn at a time so you don't twist the suspension links and get them in a bind.
P1010043.jpg

P1010046.jpg

OK It's SRAD now Marie bailed out on my butt and left me here to drop the front. BELIEVE THIS it's going down like the Titanic! First off lets get everything loose EXCEPT the top pinch bolts.
P1010065.jpg

Marie already installed the GenMar Risers so I'm just going to loosen everything up let is slide down then tighten all the pinch bolt back up. And you might as well forget a Torque wrench cause it ain't going in there.
Once everything was loose on the lower triple clamp I loosened the top tripleclamp pinch bolts and allowed the bike to drop rotating the fork tubes a few degrees each directions just to make sure they are bottomed out against the bottom of the handlebarmount.
P1010064.jpg

Well getting to the lower pinch bolts was tough before it's impossible now so with a little ingenuity I'm going to tighten the top pinch bolts and then lift the front of the bike to allow me a little more room to access the lower triple clamp pinch bolts.
P1010069.jpg

P1010068.jpg

So I guess your wondering where Marie had to go so quick? Well It was Wednesday night and that her and her Dad's night ,,,,,
tennis.jpg

To play Tennis. Yeah I know we all have own own private burdens to bear,,,, this is mine I married a Tennis Player! OH! THe shame of it all!
tennis1.jpg

And of course she shows just in time to claim credit for it all.
P1010083.jpg

Really it's a team effort here and if you haven't figured it out yet this is about Marie and her Quest I'm just the guy behind the scenes.
P1010086.jpg

Thanks everyone all the advice and support really has helped! I'm really looking forward to seeing what she does this weekend testing and next weekend at the Mile
SRAD

OOOooohhhh stretch!
Man I overslept! OK I have to fix SRAD some breakfast and get the tires and wheels off of the Bus this morning as our Sponsor FamilyPowerSports.com has hooked us up with new tires mount and balance! I'll post pics this afternoon!
Marie
HeavyBusRacing.com

1,133 posts on this one site!!!!! Now I know the true reason why you and Marie have not been coming to see your friends in Katy and Denton.

OOPS! Busted! Well T.M.G.P. (Texas Mini Gran Prix) Series is still home to us! We really miss all the friends and Family we made there over the years! Absolutely some of the best Sportsmen and people we know! Denny we didn't forget we just planned to take a year off and well things kind of Domino'ed into well this! And really this is just the tip of the Iceberg Marie has her own site
( HeavyBusRacing.com ) there are currently I think 11 forums following her adventure its become a pretty big deal. I guess we should swing by and thow down some more info on TMGP. How's everyone there doing?
SRADkneedragger
or NS50R to you
Carl
http://heavybusracing.com/

Today was kind of hectic but it started out with getting the Bus up in the air.
P1010005-1.jpg

Out with the Cotter pin spend about 20 minutes looking for the BIG crescent wrench, finally find it not where it belongs and off with the big axle nut SRAD pulls the axle while I hold everything.
P1010006.jpg

TA DA!
P1010007-1.jpg

Next to the front end
P1010011-1.jpg

OK OK I know we have been putting it off so now that the brakes have to come off lets dump those reflectors everyone keeps telling me to get rid of!
P1010012-1.jpg

OK SRAD was ahead of the curve on this one, I didn't know you had to have a special tool to remove the front axle! It's recessed in the fork leg! $30 bucks for the cool Suzuki one or just whip out the welder and a couple of Metric nuts and bolts. He mad this one at work Friday in about ten minutes so out goes the front axle and off with the tire.
P1010014-2.jpg

This is Lisa Galindo the GM and Mike Ruhnke the Service Manager. They have been instrumental in getting FamilyPowerSports to back us. With 5 stores in Texas and 18 PowerSports lines these guys have the Financial muscle to make things happen!
P1010017-1.jpg

So lets drag out the Tires and Wheels and get started!
P1010020-1.jpg

This is Tia she is the Service Writer and didn't believe SRAD when he told her he needed the tires changed! She looked at them and said"But they have like 75% tread!Are you SERIOUS?"

P1010022-2.jpg

Que the Dyno tire lecture and then the Pilots for top speed lecture(Pilots based on popular consensus among the LSR crowd) and lastly the "Shinko's are too heavy" Lecture and with Tia begging for no more lecturing she took us to the shop.
Now we don't expect the shop to stop and drop everything just for us and since we arrived right Lunch what were we supposed to do? Join in Of Course!
P1010028-3.jpg

NEVER and I mean NEVER underestimate the usefulness of a good bike lift!
The rear tire went on with little or no fanfare Pilot Race in a Medium compound.
P1010037.jpg

The Front, however,,,,

Finishing up the rear on the cool
No touch tire machine" No more scratched Rims!
P1010036-2.jpg

OK I'm Sorry ! I forgot to Introduce Doyle he's one of the Mechanics at FamilyPowerSports and the guy doing our tires for us today.
So after trying several times to mount the tire it came up 1 oz out EVERYIME! SRAD decided that the tire AND wheel both had a problem.
So Family was gracious enough to let us try another front tire! After mounting the new front the amount of imbalance was reduced but not enough to make SRAD and Doyle happy(It only needed .5 oz) so the boys decided to try it one more time 180 degrees from current mount. So Doyle broke it down for like the 3rd time! Well you know what they say 3rd time the charm! Doyle stuck 0n .25 oz of lead and here we are!
P1010040-1.jpg

PERFECT! and ONLY .25 oz to get there!
Now I want to take a minute here to thank EVERYONE at FamilPowerSports for helping us out If your anywhere near one of their stores check them out! Odessa Lubbock Weatherford San Angelo and McKinney Texas!
Lastly a BIG BIG Thanks to Lisa, Mikey and Doyle these babies may not make me faster but I'll sure be safer! Thanks All!
P1010043-1.jpg

Now for the bad news.
You are going to have to watch SRAD do the brakes. I was forbidden to touch them!
SRAD"Allow me to interject here, there is ZERO room for error here and I want everything right if I do it myself there will no doubts or worries, Sorry everyone but your stuck with me on this one part"

So One side at a time and clean EVERYTHING obsessively.
P1010053.jpg

The Old pads were worn a little but we didn't know what compound they were so we felt it would be better to start out from ground zero with pads we knew.
Big George and EXTREMEBUSA.com stepped up to the plate and put us in a full set of EBC HH compound pads! Thanks George your a Sweetheart!
OLD VS NEW
P1010057.jpg

Other side now, Srad was pretty picky about this whole deal cleaning and inspecting every little piece, Thats OK it just builds confidence for both of us. What I didn't know was all the springs pins and special hairpins are special items and IF youlose one your screwed! SRAD said that even the local Dealer doesn't stock the double hairpin or the pad pins so if one gets misplaced we would be parked till it was ordered in!
HEY! BE CAREFUL! Watchout where you put those parts!
Everything back together and the wheel goes back on my niece helps with the axle and lining things up
P1010068.jpg

OK now back to the well uh back.
Once again everything is cleaned with cleaner and a scrub brush or toothbrush each part inspected out comes the irreplaceable super exotic and rare don't lose them pins
P1010062-1.jpg

Well with everything done on the brakes it was time to throw a new chain at the Bus. Again Big George and EXTREMEBUSA.com stepped up with a an EK 530 ZZZ! Thanks again to George and EXTREMEBUSA.com! OOPS! I guess I better dump the RK chain stickers!
P1010067.jpg

I caved in on this one simply because the chain breaker whipped my butt! That thing is some sort of Medievil grease incrusted finger smasher! So thats pretty much the stop for today The rear wheel will go on and the Bus will get rolled into the trailer for the night. Sunday will bring more inspection new Chain, Sprockets and hopefully time to do the Velocity stacks. OH and a few test runs in the afternoon.
Marie

Well not to brag but Marie's adventure has passed 19,000 views! When she started taking over posting on the threads I didn't think that much about it now look where she's at!
If anything I think Marie has definitely accomplished her goal of taking a "Few" readers along for the ride. And we are having a great time. I think from the time that I have had to read through the threads Marie has been an inspiration to many and that's a good thing too. Whether we run 200MPH or not I feel like we will be taking a lot of riders along with us! Thanks everyone!
SRAD
http://heavybusracing.com/

Back