• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Life is Good in the Desert

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
The rally isn't over until the ride report is written and the pictures are posted. So here is my story of the 2011 Around the Bend. It's a tale of riding, drinking, eatin', taking pictures, hanging out on the front porch, and listening to Tricepilot's lies about Salma. Not necessarily in that order either :-P

Mrs. Trail Boss (aka Connie), her police-trained attack dog Max, and I headed west from Austin on Wednesday afternoon, expecting to arrive at Uncle's place about midnight. Not much to tell about this part of the trip - 8.5 hours and 500 miles of boring slab delivered us to Terlingua.

Thursday I slept a bit late and then Roger and I went riding for a few hours on the backroads of Terlingua Ranch. Upon our return, we all headed up to the front porch for a little drinking, eating, and story telling. A number of riders had already arrived and were holding court before we got there.

The "front porch" is the porch that joins the Terlingua Trading Company and the Starlight Theater Restaurant. It is Terlingua's version of Grand Central Station - everyone gathers here. The main activities are drinking, visiting, and telling lies.
1200793195_DEmmN-XL.jpg

Dogs are not technically allowed on the porch but Max is so vicious everyone was too afraid to say anything to Connie about the rules.
1200797194_5VkV5-XL.jpg

Well, the truth is there is a sign that says no dogs on the porch but no one really pays any attention to it. There always seems to be a dog or three hanging around the front porch.

You will see some interesting things hanging around the front porch. Stuff like a KLR with a 17 inch back tire for a front tire.
1200797286_nDcUd-XL.jpg

It's not unusual for local musicians to have an impromptu session on the front porch.
1200799065_CHCD4-XL.jpg

In full swing...
1200800142_bDyEn-XL.jpg

Motorcyclist seek each other out to talk motorcycles and riding, while admiring other's bikes.
1200800242_gNRx9-XL.jpg

1200801956_h6Djt-XL.jpg

1200804092_iHLcN-XL.jpg

1200806401_a4r4V-XL.jpg

The bench is almost always occupied.
1200803102_6g6kM-XL.jpg

You're taking your life into your own hands, trying to pet that dog...
1200806601_UJtu6-XL.jpg

Make sure you bring your pet chicken when you head out for the front porch...
1200807132_78oCT-XL.jpg

Even chickens get thirsty.
1200810255_6wJcP-XL.jpg

His story was so interesting it woke up the dog. :lol2:
1200810726_Nn4Fa-XL.jpg

Technology marches on, even in Terlingua. They finally got cell service about 5 years ago.
1200810879_iZTri-XL.jpg

The Starlight Theatre Restaurant is an excellent place to eat.
1200812794_JJWxm-XL.jpg

Mmmm, Shiner Bock.
1200794827_54jjP-XL.jpg

Okay, so Zero Day wasn't much - a little riding, a little drinking, but mostly just getting on Terlingua time. Tomorrow would include lots more of everything.

Okay, it's Day 1 and time to get serious. There's riding out there that needs to be done.

but first, we've got to have breakfast at Kathy's, check in the registered riders, late register those who missed early registration, chat with the county deputies about trespassing, and have a riders meeting. Then we can go ride.

The inner workings of Kathy's Kosmic Kowgirl Kafe. This is what it looks like on the other side of the window where you order your food from Kathy.
1200812965_uTdhW-XL.jpg

Kathy's is a great place to enjoy a cowboy breakfast.
1200826187_xxD5F-XL.jpg

After all the preliminaries were done, six of us - Kevin, Big A, Jeff, Mark, Chris, and I - saddled up and headed to Big Bend Ranch State Park to ride the Rancherias Loop, home of the infamous King Kong Hill. Rancherias Loop is a tough class 3 route. It is a sweet dessert to be savored and King Kong Hill is the bonus cherry on top. King Kong hill is steep, curved, and covered in loose rocks - a description that doesn't quite do it justice.

Big Bend Ranch State Park - home of excellent dual sport adventure
1200827169_NS854-XL.jpg

The easiest road in the park is the main road. It's an easy road, sort of like a warm up before a hard workout.
1200826479_SpBkw-XL.jpg

The main road is also a good way to get your bike really, really dusty.
1200829504_LoYTQ-XL.jpg

After checking in at the ranch headquarters, known as Saucedo, and paying our $3 entry fee, we headed south on Madrid Road. It is a nice class 2 with some loose gravel, a few ruts, and some nice elevation changes.

Big A on his KTM 690
1200832216_StyPF-XL.jpg

Chris shows that the venerable XR650L can get the job done. Venerable? Accorded a great deal of respect, especially because of age, wisdom, or character.
1200832604_7py76-XL.jpg

Jeff on his Mad Max black KTM 690.
1200833977_mJM3E-XL.jpg

Kevin made his new model KLR earn its pay today.
1200835789_8n4qZ-XL.jpg

A few miles south on Madrid and it was time to make a right turn onto Javelin road (which is also Javelin trail). The road took a decided turn for the worse here. A sign indicated only 4 wheel drives beyond this point, while another sign informed us that the road was unmaintained. Which, of course, is just what we like.

Twin KTM 690s. "What's the dang hold up? Put that camera away and let's ride.
1200835087_V5cjs-XL.jpg

Javelin Road is the best part of this route. It's a wonderful class 3 with lots of the good stuff - ruts, rocks, elevation changes, sand, gravel, cactus, and other spiny things. Just the kind of things that put a big 'ol smile on a dual sport rider's face.

Life is good in the desert. I don't believe that either Mark or Big A will argue with that claim.
1200849157_NoS2h-XL.jpg

Jeff doesn't appear inclined to disagree either.
1200850546_gwEzk-XL.jpg

This is one of the easier sections of Javelin Road.
1200854320_fnPFC-XL.jpg

Fairly typical example of the road surface on Javelin Road.
1200854933_UVLnB-XL.jpg

You'll enjoy several miles of this stuff on Javelin Road.
1200856648_qdenZ-XL.jpg

Just when you think it can't get any better, you arrive at King Kong Hill.

Oh, no fair! A cliff hanger stop!

Great pics. Looking forward to everyone's stories.

I really really wanted to join this ride. But work and life got in the way. I am very jelous of all of you!

Very cool! Love the BBRSP pics. Now that BBRSP is getting more ridership, its getting more flair "King Kong Hill" so, who coined that? Lets give some credit where due! :clap::clap::clap:
Glad to see y'all having a blast out there.

People pics from Kosmic Kathy's. Enjoy!

Big Jim.
IMG_3711-Version2.jpg

Chris chillin'.
IMG_3709-Version2.jpg

Mmmm that was good.
IMG_3708-Version2.jpg

Trice + dog. Dog wins!
IMG_3706-Version2.jpg

Here are a few shots from my trip... I was fortunate enough to be able to go there a week early and stay through the event.

KLRs turned out to be good steeds for Old Ore Rd.

IMG_2633.jpg

Sunsets and sunrises are unique each day.

IMG_2635.jpg

IMG_2645.jpg

IMG_2693.jpg

IMG_2694.jpg

The bikes were as happy to be there as the riders were.

IMG_2666.jpg

Linked up with a group known as The Lost Boys for a day ride. They have a regular ride here every year too and are a friendly bunch of people.

IMG_2703.jpg

A ride to La Linda was a day well spent and included some time visiting the Hallie Stillwell museum.

IMG_2704.jpg

IMG_2707.jpg

Switched to the small bike to ride sweep on River Road and Black Gap with a great group of riders.

IMG_2708.jpg

That run had some interesting highlights.

IMG_2713.jpg

The camera was put away at the turn north on Black Gap. Rumor has it that my WR got suicidal and tried to run off of the road where there is a steep drop off, only to be planted hard on its left side with the front wheel over the edge. Nobody got a pic, so I guess it didn't happen! :rider:

IMG_2714.jpg

Local deputies paid a morning visit.

IMG_2716.jpg

My last day of riding ended with a gettoff in one of the silt traps on Old Marathon Rd. That stuff will hide rocks and ruts on a windy day by blowing the silt almost smooth over them.

Note, a chinbar makes a good kitty litter scoop when it hits the ground at about 40 miles per hour.

IMG_2717.jpg

When the tumbling stopped I had silt packed in my helmet so that I could not see out at all. I had to open the chin bar before I could even breathe. Silt was everywhere in my gear and all over my bike.

IMG_2718.jpg

IMG_2719.jpg

Except for the ride back to camp my riding was done for the trip. The bars had to be pointed right to go straight. No permanent damage was done, just tweaked the forks in the clamps and bent the front rack. Both are fixed. My bruised muscles are healing as well.

Since we are in a sharing mode today... here are some iPhone vids captured on King Kong Hill. I was riding the R1100GS and was just getting ready to go when Richard's group caught up. After I made it up, captured these vids of others. Sorry, don't know the names of who these are besides Richard, but have a black KTM and a Kawasaki.

Not sure how to embed a YouTube video within the thread so here are links.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI0v5NOPxw8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le3AO5ryg3k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OaqGnNlwRA

Man, this is great. :clap:

Not sure where this King Kong Hill is. My buddy and I rode back to Chorro Vista last year on our GSs. We did a couple knarly hills but don't know if this was one of them.

Me be headed that way in the morning. :trust:

Images from pics and vids are totally deceiving. It was tough to walk, let alone ride. Hill rightly deserves its name, toughest climb I have encountered on the GS.

500 Internal Server Error

Sorry, something went wrong.

A team of highly trained monkeys has been dispatched to deal with this situation.
If you see them, show them this information:

:lol2:

500 Internal Server Error

Sorry, something went wrong.

A team of highly trained monkeys has been dispatched to deal with this situation.
If you see them, show them this information:

:lol2:

Until Youtube's trained monkeys figure it out, try: Don's channel :rider:

:tab The steep climbs is where having a 14 tooth front sprocket on the KLR's REALLY makes a big difference! King Kong Hill reminds me of some of the hills we were going up and down out in the Arizona desert a few years ago, long, loose, and STEEP. Unfortunately, at that time I had the 15 tooth sprocket on the KLR and it killed me! :doh: I was glad to have the 14 on again last fall for the Colorado Mountain Pass Adventure. Some of those climbs were really loose, long and steep as well, with long drop offs on one side... :shock: _RG_ was able to do it on his KLR with the 15 on the front, but he was definitely working harder than me to get it done!

Oh...heck yeah! That'll work! Nice ridin boys. Great pix and videos. THANKS! :thumb:

Let's see...Javelin rd - King Kong Hill. Hmmm...yep, on the list. :drool:

Images from pics and vids are totally deceiving. It was tough to walk, let alone ride. Hill rightly deserves its name, toughest climb I have encountered on the GS.

For trips to Big Bend/Mexico Step 1 Get Gas.

Trailer.jpg

Step 2 add more bikes.

TrailerLoaded.jpg

Step 3 find a place to park.

MudMissle says " you can't park there" Izz says "but this way I won't need a kickstand to work on my bike."

Underwater.jpg

Once your in BBRSP find a place for Michael to fix his rock knocked hole in the case, with the Quicksteel putty. Stingray, Terranaut and MudMissle give moral support.

4amigos.jpg

Quicksteel sets up under water in 20 minutes!

QuickSteel.jpg

Michael at the top of Deer Poop Mountain.

DeerPoopMountain.jpg

What kind of mushrooms did they put in my eggs at breakfast?

Flat.jpg

I reccommend that you always use Slime, unless you have Norbit along...he is a machine when it comes to changing a flat!

Norbit.jpg

We stopped in at a local spot to eat and they offer us some work moving furniture and what not. Scott seems to think we might need gas money later...that was an orange gas tank joke...

Fridge.jpg

Next stop South of the border, 20 miles north of Ojinaga along the river then up into the mountains:

MountainRoute.jpg

This border cat comes to us while we wait at the crossing for the MudMissle to get his insurance.

BorderCat.jpg

Which way to go?

Sign.jpg

I know, let's get some green chili tacos!

Tacos.jpg

As the road starts to get steep, we find this lowrider in a place you can barely ride a bike to...go figure.

car.jpg

Then we come up on this landing pad and my mind is going like Zettas and hot lz's....

Helo.jpg

When along comes a mule rider herding goats and he tells us that a plane had crashed some time back and they landed helicopters here for the extraction. He had lived in these mountains for 58 years according to our translator Edwin.

Mule.jpg

Godzilla Hill, my buddies Scott and Edwin scout it on foot before we go up, cause I was kind of scared...for real.

Godzilla.jpg

From the top of Godzilla looking back down, that wasn't that hard, please excuse me while I pass out.

LookingDown.jpg

See that MudMissle blood, it might be the most interesting in the world.

MudMissle.jpg

Once we make it over the mountain range to the solar powered village of El Murcielago, we are home free just another 120 miles through river washes and military check points and we make it to the banquet for dinner.

Bats.jpg

Next stop South of the border, 20 miles north of Ojinaga along the river then up into the mountains:

Godzilla Hill, my buddies Scott and Edwin scout it on foot before we go up, cause I was kind of scared...for real.

Godzilla.jpg

Here's some supporting video to Godzilla Hill:

Last edited:
Video is blocked by WMG on copyright grounds. WT_?

Back