• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Lightroom 2

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Is anybody using Lightroom 2 for post-processing work? I'm hearing a lot of good things about it and am curious about real-life experiences. Is there a steep learning curve?

I got it back when all of us were discussing this stuff with Scott. I like it, but of course I am probably not using 1/10th of its capabilities.

I've not used it much at all, but my uncle uses it for all of his slide-to-digital cataloging. He loves it.
The few times I've had my hands on it, it seems fairly intuitive, though there is a learning curve.

LR2 can be a great tool. It's great at cataloging ,organizing files. It's very good for a lot of general retouching,down-sizing and batch processing. It is not a replacement for photoshop.
At ACC it is what is taught for 2 semesters before photoshop. ACC is more concerned with how files are handled at first.
TexTom

been using lightroom for 2 years or so, love it. I don't think the learning curve is bad at all, I guess it depends on what you are already used to though... You can download a free 30 day trial from Adobe to see if you like it.

A few days ago I stumbled upon a meetup.com site in Austin for local photographers. There was a demo of LR on October 11th I attended which provided a great overview for me of the workflow capabilities and some of the features. There must have been 50 or more folks in attendance at this free event.

As a result, the Austin Photography Group is having a free follow-up session scheduled October 24th at 5pm at Bookpeople in Austin. Details here:
http://www.meetup.com/photo-438/calendar/11609404/

What I really took away with LR is the workflow capabilities for getting images off the card and into the process of accepting/rejecting, then working with groups of pictures to apply the same effects in a bulk environment. From there, single out the individual images to work on in a post-processing environment. I liked the non-destructive feature to the original image which I guess Photoshop also does via their .psd file. Most of the folks used LR for post-processing of images, but when the wanted to get 'creative' such as wild effects, text additions and so forth, they still used Photoshop.

I might try to attend this one as well..... Maybe see some TWT folks there?????

Lightroom 3 Beta is out. I have not downloaded it yet, but will be.

adobe said:
The Lightroom 3 beta program is available to the public, so that means anyone with an Internet connection can download it and start putting it to the test. You do not need to own (or have tried) a previous version of Lightroom. The version of Lightroom 3 beta software available for download is offered in English only. You can download the beta and use it until the product expires. The current Lightroom 3 public beta will expire on April 30, 2010.

Back