• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Lime Creek Road, TX

Buck,

Thanks for the post.

Buy a MAC; and you will become a Microsoft fan! :angryfir:

My first post:

I got out to Lime Creek Road for the first time Monday afternoon - far to nice of a day for a marketing class (65 deg., no clouds, no wind...). All I can say is...Wow! Since I am a relatively novice rider, I took it easy coming from Volente, but I pushed a little harder coming back and was rewarded with an awesome ride.

I can't comment on the law enforcement or traffic situation, as it was a Monday afternoon and the only other traffic on LCR was a delivery van (pulled off early) and a couple of convertables, apparently also compelled to blow off work or school.

Anyhow, I can't wait to get back out there again. If any of you see a little blue GS 500 (I like to call my GSXR starter kit) out there, give a wave!
See you on the road......

Howdy!

:tab Welcome to the site and thanks for coming out of lurk mode ;-) Your GS is perfect for that road! LCR is not about raw power. It is all about finesse! The GS has all the power you need for that road. Of course the front suspension needs help :roll: Glad you had a great time!

Adios,

A lot of people don't know about them , but there are devices called USB Video Capture Devices that you can get at computer stores for about $70. They have both S-Video and RCA video inputs and a USB output. You simply plug the device into your computer's USB port, load the driver from a CD, and then plug your analog cam, VCR, or whatever into the device. It automatically digitizes the video and allows you to record it on your puter in several different formats or staight to a DVD or video-CD.
There are several different brands available and they all include some editing software. I bought the Pinnacle "Dazzle" . It works great. I have a big job now to record all of my old VCR tapes from the last 20 years but from what I hear CD's and DVD's are going to last a lot longer than the old Tapes.

Buzz

:tab What I need is an adapter that takes the RCA style plugs coming from a lipstick camera and converts them to USB inputs that I can plug into the input on a MiniDV camcorder. The only camcorders I can find that have the RCA inputs cost several thousand dollars minimum!

:tab Does the gadget you mention use batteries? I wonder if it might do what I want?

Adios,

Scott

This device is powered by the USB slot.
It has RCA inputs (bout Video and Audio) and S-Video to plug an analog cam or vcr into.
On the other end of the cable is the USB plug that goes to a computer.
The device takes the analog inputs (RCA or S-Video) and digitizes the video to output to the USB port. I'm not aware of it having any other capability than this.
I'm confused a bit by what you are looking for. This device will accept any RCA or S-Video input...that just about covers every kind of Camcorder out there that I know of.

Buzz

Buzz, that's a cool device.

I think what Scott's saying is that he's thinking of a bullet camera that just feeds an image to some recording device. So, to use the USB vidcap, one would have to bring a laptop along for the ride...

A solution to this might be to use a non-digital camera to record the ride (bonus if it takes the analog input from the bullet cam, too), then at home, feed the signal into the USB vidcap device...

I'd be curious about the resolution and quality of the USB device vs. a regular slot-eating vidcap card. I'll have to look into this a bit...

Thx again for posting the info.

Buck

Yea...I was confused...it sounded like he wanted to plug the output of one cam into the input of another cam.
But no matter, all this device does is take analog Video and Audio into the input and then outputs it in digital form to a USB plug.
You can Look on Best Buy or Comp USA websites and they will have the specs for the devices.....you need to be careful ...some are only good for up to Windows 2000 and some will be good up to Windows XP.
These things sometimes show up on Ebay for about $40 to $50 sometimes.

I also bought the thing so I could record video from a cam mounted on a model airplane. I bought a wireless miniature (analog) cam kit on Ebay for $26. It has a range of about 1000 ft. The miniature cam rides in the airplane and transmits back down to the ground to a small receiver that I have plugged into this device. The device is plugged into my Laptop.I can fly the model by watching the video on the laptop... :chug:

Buzz

:tab Buzz, that is way cool! Hehe... It get's the geeky nerd in me all excited. :-P Buck000 is right. I want to use a Helmet Camera brand lipstick camera and mount it on the bike. The outputs of the lipstick camera are RCA. I cannot find and new MiniDV recorders that have RCA inputs on them so that I can plug the lipstick camera into them. So I was wondering if I could plug the lipstick camera into the gadget you mentioned, and then take the outputs of that gadget and plug it into the MiniDV recorder. If the gadget requires it be plugged into a puter, then I am out of luck :-|

:tab I want to use the lipstick camera because of the ability to mount it just about anywhere on the bike. Also, I think it gives a better sensation of speed than a tank or dash mounted camcorder. The other thing is that I don't want to shoot through the windscreen because it very often gives strange glare effects.

Adios,

Well, if your MiniDV recorder has the standard USB port (better check if it is USB-1 or USB-2) then this device should work for you.
You can always go buy one and return it if it doesn't work :lol:

Right now I have mine hooked up to my home computer with my wireless cam set hooked to it. I found some free software on the net that allows remote monitoring of the cam over the internet from a remote computer.
With this I can monitor video of my home from my computer at work ;-) It's password protected and all so I'm the only one that has the password and url #.

Buzz

Those look pretty cool. However, I don't know that I want my raw footage in the MPG-4 format. I already have everything I need to import/edit etc,... the MiniDV format right off the camcorder. The cheapest unit was $380 :eek: Not necessarily a bad price, just more than I can afford (which is not enough). I do like the size of them though. But if I am gonna shell out the bucks, I want it to be a regular camcorder as well. The little add-on module does not look like it would do real good quality video.

Adios,

Scott,

I see some of these units (VR-120's) on Ebay....looks like they'll be going for less than $200.

But I think Buck is right....you would really want to have the anti-jiggle feature on any cam that you were thinking about using. I would think that that would be at the top of the list for features

Buzz

The DOG, I think, is really a medium sized bear. Do you know that it's possible to jump off a GS at speed, pedal real fast and catch up to it again 50 yards down the road? :mrgreen: The dog lives at 10:33 in the first video, on the left side.
Buddy of mine lives on the road (built after the video), and it is fun to just stand in the front yard watching and listening. In the mornings though, he has to go down to extract fairing pieces out of the fence.

Tried to count the curves on Lime Creek between the new end of Lime Creek @ Anderson Mill and continuing all the way to 2763 and to bull lick hollow to oasis bluff by the oasis and to 620. I wondered how that run compared to the dragon in Nc. I got 155 curves or turns in 16.5 miles. My son who was not counting ever time the bike could not go stright as a curve got 128. A bit longer then the dragon and about half as many curves but hey. Just do it both ways. :)

I want to say I really enjoyed the video, and the music as well. I am lucky because I can ride LCR everyday on my way home to Cedar Park from Austin, and have been riding that road often since I was a kid on a 125 Harley Hummer. I have gotten used to the idea that i have to be very cautious about the road in the last few years. Too many idiots on sportbikes going the other way who tend to ride the outside of the corners. I crashed my Kawasaki ZRX on the hill going towards 1431 a few years ago when some guy on a Yamaha 600 came busting *** down the hill and was cutting the apex of the turn by being in my lane as we met. I ended up straighting out the turn in order to avoid a head on collision, but managed to get slowed down to a few miles an hour before I hit the ditch. Scratched up my wind screen and I hurt my right elbow when I fell over in the ditch and brush. The guy knew he had forced me into a fall and kept right on hauling buns down the hill. I wish him continued luck in his life but if I ever found out who that man was I have a few words I would like to give him. Ride LCR in caution mode if you ride it.

I hit LCR this morning after not riding it for a while. It looks like there are lots of new tar snakes about 1/2 between 1431 and Volente. Also, hit a patch of sand in one of the 15 mph curves, good for a pucker moment as the whole bike slid sideways about 3 feet.

Left by 10:30 so very few SQUIDS were out yet, I assume they are hungover on Sun. mornings :)

Chris Mitchell said:
...Ride LCR in caution mode if you ride it.
I couldn't agree with this statement more. I ride LCR pretty regularly as it's near my house, but I do my best to stay away during the summer. It seems that there are some folks with big trucks and boats who think it's a nice shortcut from Cedar Park to the boatramp on Bullick Hollow. I rode it a couple weeks ago and almost got taken out by a guy in a Hummer towing a boat who decided that he needed to be in the middle of the road as he rounded one of the tight corners.

I recommend following the old rule of matching your speed to your sight distance. If you can't see around the hairpin, assume there's a lumbering, bike-eating behemoth blocking most of the road just around the bend.

I've had a couple of close calls from friendly drivers trying to use thier lane, and mine. I love the ride, but I've noticed the patch work and new gravel around a few of the fun turns also. AND THE TAR SNAKES :miffed: . I got a little squirly on them. Time to slow down till the road settles. Although the one turn that has had gravel in it for the past year, maybe, I'm gonna sweep one of these days.

I am lucky to be able to ride Lime Creek several times a week on my way home to Cedar Park. Watch out for the road surface now, lots of dirt and gravel showing up now due to gravel trucks on the road. Have not seen any LEO's on the road for a good while but it always pays to keep and eye out for them. I have found that in recent years you really need to approach the blind turns with a good deal of expectation that the guy in the big Green trash truck is gonna come around the corner, especially on Thursday about mid day. I have had the pleasure of Lime Creek road being my own private play ground since I was 13 and started riding the road on my Harley 125cc Hummer two stroke. I hate the fact that civilization has crept in to the area and brought traffic and dirt and debris to the place. Oh by the way the little grocery in Volente across the street from the volunteer fire hall is a great place to stop for a cold drink and something to eat. Owner is a nice guy named Bob and its a family operation. The lights in there are dim and its quiet and they dont mind people talking in there. I stopped there today on the way home and ate like a pig. Oink

I'll have to stop in there on my next ride. Once the road debris clears some it should be a nice ride again. I enjoy going down there from Fort Hood just to be able to lean the bike over without breaking any laws.

I rode LCR for the first time today. I liked it a lot. I made sure to be careful about the blind corners, as there are a lot of them. I didn't go fast at all as I'm trying to learn the road, but it was still a fun ride at the speed I went. There was a little gravel in the middle of some of the turns, so look out. Good times :)

ive ridden that road several times and there are just too many blind entry points in a majority of those corners. you also have to watch out for several corners that actually have decreasing radius corners. it could be major fun if i could talk myself into ignoring the possibility that someone else would eventually ruin my day by stopping/lane cutting/ect.

tx246 said:
ive ridden that road several times and there are just too many blind entry points in a majority of those corners. you also have to watch out for several corners that actually have decreasing radius corners. it could be major fun if i could talk myself into ignoring the possibility that someone else would eventually ruin my day by stopping/lane cutting/ect.
road it today, and last Sat, and the thur before. There are a few sections that have no side entry points,, and several parts that you have to be a bit smarter on. Nothing wrong with a decreasing radius, off camber turn.. just as long as the guy behind you rides at least as well as you do
:rofl:

Back