• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

LiveWire -They're Out There

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Shelfer
Spotted this in a Denver suburb shopping mall this morning. Still has dealer plates. The guy who got off it wasn't some millennial looking kid. Except for the Shoei helmet, he was your stereotypical Harley guy - middle aged, big handlebar mustache, beer bellied. But he happened to be riding an electric instead of a V-twin.

Somebody's buying them. 2020-1119 - Harley Livewire.jpg

What's up with the videographer Jim West with all the malicious comments, geez

Oh that's right, I see it's Facebook.

To be fair, there were a number of Zero's that burned up early on until they got it all figured out.

Cell phone batteries have been causing fires for years - one incident brought down a cargo plane - but nobody says "This might be a good indication not to buy a cell phone."

If I'm understanding the narrative correctly, this thing was brand new, unsold, sitting on the showroom floor, and caught fire while being charged, and possibly right after one of their mechanics had worked on it. Could be a lot of things, but the first thing that comes to mind to me is a faulty charger.

Sad for HD that this happened during Bike Week. Worst possible timing for them. They'll be piled on by all the old schoolers who scoff at any hint of new technology, much less an electric drive train.

Seems like they arenā€™t too concerned about it judging from all of the people not wearing protective gear around the bike. It reminds me of the people watching the fertilizer ship burning in Texas City before it exploded.

Kind of my thought, watching the guy in the Staff tshirt scream at other people about safety while he stands next to a pile of burning batteries, dressed in shorts and a short sleeve shirt. Kind of reminds me of this picture that someone sent me years ago....

Attachments

• why women live longer than men.jpg
    why women live longer than men.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 168
The smoke was coming from under the placebo gas tank. I would at least pretend to stand back. Wonder if the Fire Dept. foamed it?
No kidding the electric vehicles can be dangerous to first responders.
I actually like the looks, but loved the canceled Bare Knuckle bike..

I REALLY enjoyed the demo ride I had on one. If they get to be more affordable then they will have a winner on their hands if you ask me.

It was so far ahead of any Zero that I have ridden so far. And it made my Super Tenere feel like a turd floating down the Trinity River in the acceleration department. Super fun bike.

Full disclosure, mine didnā€™t catch on fire while I rode it. If it had, that probably would have soured it just a bit. šŸ˜€

I'm surprised all it needed was a few squirts from a portable. From what I have read, lithium battery fires need a deluge of water to cool the batteries if that is indeed the source of the smoke and flame. The chemistry of lithium batteries provides its own fuel and oxidizer and can burn hot enough to dissociate H2O thus feeding the fire even more.
Li batteries are not likely to explode like an ammonium nitrate storage or IED, but the fire can be spectacular.

Full disclosure, mine didnā€™t catch on fire while I rode it. If it had, that probably would have soured it just a bit. šŸ˜€
I dunno. Back in college, I had a '62 Ford station wagon that was prone to carburetor burps and minor underhood fires. But ------------- well, now that I think about it, that's the last Ford I ever owned. :ponder:

Back