• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Llano Estacado and canyons

Revisiting Llano Estacado and canyons

DSC03866-M.jpg

Standing on the rim of the canyons that were enveloped in a light fog, a sense of magic was everywhere. The air was crisp, moist and musty with the odor of rock. If you sit still long enough, you might believe yourself back in time when Charles Goodnight scouted for lost cattle looking for grass. Or when Colonel McKanzie ran hundreds of ponies over the cliffs to mollify the remaining Comanches and Kiowa. Or perhaps during the year that Captain Randolph Marcy explored and mapped these canyons.

Further back, you might hear the gathering of southern Plains tribal members gathering wild plums along the streams and sharing ceremonies. Maybe imagine how the men of Coronado's expedition thought they were hallucinating at the drop into the earth. Or perhaps you can feel and hear the thunder of bison hooves.

DSC03885-M.jpg

Even further back, you might sense these canyons forming under your very eyes. The Llano Estacado is part of the Great Plains. But what is different from it's northern compartment is erosion. As the Rocky Mountains eroded, vast deposits of debris spewed all over the Great Plains, and continues to erode. But this gigantic mesa, bordered by several rivers, has been protected from surface erosion by the calcareous caprock and the semi-arid climate.

Over time, the Prairie Dog Town Fork of the Red River carved out the softer minerals and rock that had been deposited and then uplifted along with the Rocky Mountains. At the very bottom are remnants of a shallow marine environment, alternating with dry climate periods. Even today one can see ancient dry tidal flats, marked by ripple marks and gypsum deposits that stream like white ribbons in cliffs of red and orange.

DSC03911-M.jpg

Fish and other marine animal remains can still be found. At one time saber-toothed tigers, rhinoceros, and the ancestors of camels roamed these lands. Hard rock boulders teeter on sandstone pillars, and one day, even those will be gone. But not in our lifetime.

Now the muted banded layers of orange, red, brown, yellow, grey, maroon, and white rocks sleep as the fog blankets a land spanning more than 240 million years. And we are but a momentary blip in time.

DSC03900-M.jpg

That is why I love canyons. And to truly experience them, you have to explore the tops and bottoms. They can be vastly different and our little ant bodies with our short grasp of time challenges us to imagine and feel deep time, in their sense. We can see and imagine the past as they were formed, the present as we feel them under our hands and feet, and try to consider what the future will be like thousands or millions of years later.

And all our dramas seem so small and trivial. It's an exercise in zen and patience. And a lesson in humility.

DSC03896-M.jpg

DSC03918-M.jpg

Great RR-thanks. Back when I first started riding motorcycles in the mid 60s, I always bought season passes to Palo Duro Canyon SP. I was there dozens of times a year. Back then, all of the dirt 'roads' were open to my motorcycle. I traversed much of the park on powered two wheels. They shut those dirt passages in the early 70s. They are all back to prairie or at most 'paths' now. I treasure my memories.

DSC03931-L.jpg

Has human intervention been the largest change to 'Home' you have noticed and if so, to what effect?
Human impact is obvious even after only eight years. It's a good example of a park or place that is loved to death. Hopefully, it doesn't get to that point, but the impact is cumulative and, in some places severe.

The Lighthouse Trail is a perfect example, probably because it is the most popular trail. More so, because of the diversity and density of traffic. The nearly three mile trail is open to mountain bikes, horses, runners and hikers. It was insanely congested when I was on it. I felt like I was on a very busy street with no traffic control.

DSC03904-L.jpg

I have nothing against mountain bikes and horses, but the diversity of trail use is causing major erosion and degradation. When eight mountain bikers are hauling butt down the trail with hikers and their dogs on leashes, and runners yelling at everyone to move out of their way, then horses trotting up behind you, every mobile species disperses in all directions to avoid getting run over. And the degradation impact becomes wider and deeper.

DSC03894-L.jpg

In many sections, the trail bottom is 3 feet deep or more, and radiating all over the land surface. Smart management would be to dedicate trails specific to use: equestrian trails and hikers can be compatible, but not equestrian and mountain bike use. Dedicate trails to mountain bike use, some to equestrian and some to hikers only. The Lighthouse Trail could be dual use (hiker, equestrian), but bikes on a separate trail.

Another impact is that most of the scat (aka fecal matter) on the trail is dog and horse. Where I used to see almost exclusively coyote scat, the majority is now domestic animals. The fist rule of any utilization of trails by humans is to take plastic bags along with your TP and pack out your used TP in the plastic bags! There was TP scattered all over the place alongside the trails, sometimes blown into the trails.

I see that the park system has added two more large buildings at the north end. I hope the planning team is concentrating these developments in that area and not scattered all down the canyon. It would really detract from a more wild and natural experience by campers.

Another observation was a common and familiar impact on wildlife. I visited my favorite place to camp in previous years. Because of the bridge repair and construction on the north and south sides of that campground, there were few campers there. Birds were everywhere, active and flitting all around. I saw rabbit, racoon, deer and coyote tracks, indicating that the area is very active with wildlife. But near and along the Lighthouse trail, the only sign I saw was grubbing by feral hogs. No birds. No coyote tracks! Which saddened me, as they were everywhere eight years ago. It's more like a human habitat than a wildlife habitat.

Great pics/writing as usual.... And thx for bringing up an eight year old thread!
You are welcome!

I hiked 6 miles, then another 2 +/- miles. The entire Palo Duro park was packed with people, mountain bikes, vehicles, dogs, horses, and spandex. I was the only hiker with thick cotton trail/hike pants, long-sleeved shirt, and boots.

It made me feel like an alien, but I was quite content knowing that I was more protected against the crazy wind and flying sand. And I could sit down on the ground without getting butt rash. Nor care if I stepped in horse apples.

Another natural area loved too much, especially by unprepared urbanites. Even though the day started foggy and cool, it warmed up considerably. I noticed few people carried water despite the warnings of dehydration at the trail head. I understand a woman died there last year from dehydration. I easily drank my liter of water. I also used my neck Buffy as a filter over my nose and mouth to avoid eating sand.

Despite the congested trail, I found a high spot to sit and get away from the busyness, with a wonderful quiet view of the canyon floor and multi-colored cliffs. I still found some old canyon zen.

DSC03950-L.jpg

And Wiley had a good time revisiting his Home! ;-)

DSC03954-M.jpg

DSC03920-XL.jpg

Great RR-thanks. Back when I first started riding motorcycles in the mid 60s, I always bought season passes to Palo Duro Canyon SP. I was there dozens of times a year. Back then, all of the dirt 'roads' were open to my motorcycle. I traversed much of the park on powered two wheels. They shut those dirt passages in the early 70s. They are all back to prairie or at most 'paths' now. I treasure my memories.
Yes!
And I remember some of your suggestions on possible routes with a dirty bike. Seems that most of the roads even surrounding the park are now gated and closed.

That's one of the reasons I love New Mexico. :trust: :rider:

It's been a while since I spent any time in NM , maybe I need to spend a couple weeks in the high country this summer . Good to hear your still about . SEYA

It's been a while since I spent any time in NM , maybe I need to spend a couple weeks in the high country this summer. Good to hear your still about . SEYA
I'm in New Mexico half of the year. All over the country the rest of the year. I love being a nomad. But Northern NM has adopted me. ;) Haven't been back to Texas in a couple years; and just going through now.
Hope our paths cross again some time!

Northern NM is where I spend my time when I go , been camping in Cabristo Canyon several times . I have had the Sipapu area on my radar for a while now , I need to spend some time and find a new favorite spot . The atvs have done a lot of damage to Cabristo Canyon . SEYA

"Because of the bridge repair and construction on the north and south sides of that campground, there were few campers there...."

They anywhere near finishing the bridges? I'm coming up with a group in May and was hoping they would be done soon.

SS

"Because of the bridge repair and construction on the north and south sides of that campground, there were few campers there...."

They anywhere near finishing the bridges? I'm coming up with a group in May and was hoping they would be done soon.

SS
Hello Stephan!!
The bridge near the Fortress Cliff campground is new and almost done. That's the main reason the road is closed there and detoured through the other side of the park. Not sure about the other bridges, though. I heard another one is also being renovated or rebuilt.

My suggestion is to call the park office and inquire closer to your scheduled visit. I would think that these construction improvements might be done by that time, but that might be just wishful thinking. ;)

:clap: :clap: Great to see you back, love the update and I've missed your poetic writing, keep it coming. :hail:
Thank you, that's very kind of you!
But I don't spend much time in Texas anymore, which means my travels have no relevance to Texas. I'm a nomad now, traveling all over the place. :)

Thank you, that's very kind of you!
But I don't spend much time in Texas anymore, which means my travels have no relevance to Texas. I'm a nomad now, traveling all over the place. :)

Some guy just joined up from Italy.... IMHO not being a Texas resident is no reason you can't show & tell your tales of your nomadic travels. :chug:

Back