• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Local places that sell motorcycle tires

Reaction score
I've only found one place other than Cycle Gear and that had Adventure style tires in stock. Can't remember the name and they only had Shinko 705. Anybody know of any local places that sell TKC-80s, Scouts, Mitas E07 etc....?

Or does anybody local have a lightly used TKC -80 or Shinko 804 or Anakee Wild.... size 100/90 -19, 110/80-19 or 120/70-18 all acceptable.

Last edited:
Unless your going to get really serious, get the 705's. Else, Google up Revzilla, Rocky Mtn, Dennis Kirk, etc.

Hard to beat the 705's for the money, although I'm sure someone will take issue with that opinion.

Was looking to play around and do a test this weekend....the 705 is very similar to the Metzler Tourances that I started with. I am experimenting with more aggressive fronts for sand and mud. We should have some mud this weekend as it's raining here and there. I have a Scout K60 and am running a Mitas E07 (which I like) at the moment. Just want to see what the knobbier guys feel like. Would be nice to be able to grab tires on short notice. I use RevZilla, Chaparral, Rocky MTN....etc....all great!

Not sure about the Houston area but American Motorcycle Tire is almost always one day shipping for free for me in the DFW area. They also have just about everything in stock and at a competitive price. I've almost stopped even looking elsewhere, they're fast and either the best price or really close on everything I've checked on.

You might try the Shinko 804 for a more aggressive front. I had the Anakee wild before and now have the 804 and I think I like the 804 better, and at only $75, it's a LOT cheaper.

Yes, that's one I would like to try also. It's cool reading reviews online, but I like forming my own opinion.

I've had really good performance out of the TKC 80 on the 1290. They do wear fast but they Stick on the slab and they are about the most aggressive you can get off-road without changing rim sizes on the 1290. The rear is a 3 compound tire. I'm much more dirt oriented rider so I don't ride the bike on the street like some but the TKC 80 has handled anything I could throw at them. I use RMATV for almost all of my business but have used others mentioned.

Last edited:
For sand/mud, you will want the most aggressive tire on the front you can get, which is typically the TKC 80 or something real similar. This is what I run all the time on my 1200 GS. I get about 5-6K miles from a front with combined street and dirt riding. Even with that tire, you will still slide around more than you might like just because you are on a heavy bike.

Are you looking for a place that actually keeps these kinds of tires in stock? Or just a place that can order them for you? Not many places tend to keep these kinds of tires in stock, with the possible exception of a BMW dealership, but they are going to want top dollar for them even if they have to order them for you.

Give Patrick a shout at Motorcycles Unlimited. We've had some mixed results with the place in Pasadena and won't go back. Patrick has always given us the best pricing on the tires for the bikes. And he's a TWT Supporter.

Back