• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Lojack experience

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
I had my first experience with Lojack today.

For those that don't know, I am in the USAF, so when a TSgt walks into my cube just after 1030 and asks my fellow Lt and I what we are doing for the next hour or two, (and might I add I had just gone through a bag drag:eek2:) we carefully say we are thinking about lunch, however that we will change our answer based on what info he has.:-P

Sadly, I found out why one of the other Lts looked upset this morning (I thought it was that he had to go to some rather annoying powerpoint briefings this morning. Rather, it was that when he went to go to work, he walked all around the parking lot, thinking he must have parked somewhere abnormal. Nope, someone had jacked his Ninja sometime between when he went to bed and woke up.

He drove his truck in, called the cops, and went on his (un)merry way, heading out to main base for his training. That's where me and my other buddy come in. We get the phone number of the detective that called, get the address the bike was found at, and get hands on it before 1100, in time to keep it out of the impound lot.:clap: I performed a cursory check of the bike, quick adjust of the clutch, and the owner rides it back to my garage to take pictures and talk with the insurance company.

Bottom line, there is a fair amount of scratching on the left side, missing left rear signal cover, and bent shift lever, but it is ride-able. And, more to the point, within probably 12 hours of the bike being stolen, I had my hands on the bike:clap: Not to bad as far as Lojack is concerned. Have to say I'm considering getting it.

(I also now have more motivation to tidy up my garage so if he ends up working on it himself, there's enough space! :eek2:)

What does it cost, how much of a insurance discount (in %) does the carriers offer? The sports bikes and H/D are very desirable to the thieving smuckers. 2000 kawasaki Voyagers, not so much.

Wow...that's a somewhat abnormal experience for Lo-Jack. I'm actually a Lo-Jack instructor and have very little confidence in the product. There are much better options available for the same money.

I am glad to hear the bike was recovered with minimal damage though.

From what I hear the cost is in the neighborhood of $600. ::EDIT:: I'm actually somewhat surprised they went after his bike, wouldn't think the Ninjettes were all that hot of an item. ::/EDIT::

As for your experience, Annhl8rX, maybe the response is better in a big city? The lead detective said they were part of the "vehicle unit" which I gather specializes in stolen vehicles. They all have the system installed in their vehicles, and even have a chopper with the Lojack finder system.

Forgot to mention there were two other bikes recovered thanks to tracking down the bike, a large stash of cash, several nice-looking perimeter cameras, and several people arrested. (The people were gone by the time we got there.)

They also mentioned that they usually recovered several other vehicles for each lojacked vehicle they tracked down.

Wow...that's a somewhat abnormal experience for Lo-Jack. I'm actually a Lo-Jack instructor and have very little confidence in the product. There are much better options available for the same money.

I am glad to hear the bike was recovered with minimal damage though.

Can you elaborate and what is the cost for the various options.

What features do the various ones offer that make it better than the other?

I too would be interested in finding out options...

Again, not entirely sure, but I'm aware of two options, the normal, "tell the police it's been stolen then they track it down." and the optional "send me a text/email/phone call if the bike moves without the Lojack key fob nearby."

I have Early Warning Lo-Jack on the bike, specifically for the text / call feature when I am traveling.
I have what used to be MOGO, now Goldstar GPS on my FJ Cruiser. I can go to the website and ping the truck and have it show up on a map. I don’t know if that is available on a bike or not.

I will add that at work I drive squad that has a Lo-Jack tracker unit and we regulary recover Lo-Jack equiped vehicles. A red F250 just this week. Professionals though will have the Lo-Jack stripped out very quickly.

And more importantly, what is a "bag drag"?

A cross dressing bag lady?

Obviously no military background. We have to take rather ridiculous amounts of equipment when we travel and that takes a lot of bags to put it in. Consequentially, every time you change modes of transportation, stop for the night etc., all of these bags have to be drug around with you. Hence the term bag drag. If you have a large group it can be an impressive amount of large and heavy bags.

I'll add that the Air Force can be exceptionally soft and I'd be ashamed to show you what was often carried by those in an airlift unit. They would take lots of personal comfort stuff. They figured it was their airplane and if they could make it fit, they'd carry it.

Obviously no military background. We have to take rather ridiculous amounts of equipment when we travel and that takes a lot of bags to put it in. Consequentially, every time you change modes of transportation, stop for the night etc., all of these bags have to be drug around with you. Hence the term bag drag. If you have a large group it can be an impressive amount of large and heavy bags.

I'll add that the Air Force can be exceptionally soft and I'd be ashamed to show you what was often carried by those in an airlift unit. They would take lots of personal comfort stuff. They figured it was their airplane and if they could make it fit, they'd carry it.

Must be an air force thing. In the army, we had big green helicopters drop us off in nice remote tropical resorts. No bags needed, cept those strapped to you back. I guess army transport was more efficient, no layovers. Straight to where the fun was.

Must be an air force thing. In the army, we had big green helicopters drop us off in nice remote tropical resorts. No bags needed, cept those strapped to you back. I guess army transport was more efficient, no layovers. Straight to where the fun was.

Probably is more of an AF thing. We aren't nearly as efficient as the Army guys. On the other hand, I've seen some interesting things hanging off the back of a Sheridan tank.

What does it cost, how much of a insurance discount (in %) does the carriers offer? The sports bikes and H/D are very desirable to the thieving smuckers. 2000 kawasaki Voyagers, not so much.

Believe it or not some insurance companies don't give any discount for Lo-Jack equipped vehicles (Geico being one). Yet having a worthless alarm will generally get you a discount though.

_

Contact site sponsor Patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited. I believe they are LoJack installers.

Thanks Scottie,
I was looking for the various types people above mentioned not just Lo Jack and do not want a sales pitch but rather a discussion to learn what is out there.

Those were body bags.

We could banter about that, but I've given more than a few their last ride home and you and I met a couple of years ago on a PGR mission, so I'll leave it at that.

I will also discontinue my Lojack hijack.

We could banter about that, but I've given more than a few their last ride home and you and I met a couple of years ago on a PGR mission, so I'll leave it at that.

I will also discontinue my Lojack hijack.

I was just pulling your leg. Sorry if I offended.

Besides, I liked my cross dressing bag lady definition the best anyway.

Last edited:
I was just pulling your leg. Sorry if I offended.

Besides, I liked my cross dressing bag lady definition the best anyway.

I Know where your coming from because of where we met. I've also talked to you a bit and read some of your stuff so I have some insight to your humor. I'm more concerned that others might not. No offense here.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kidsskux8T8"]Speaking of being in drag[/ame]

Back to Lojack now.

Thanks Scottie,
I was looking for the various types people above mentioned not just Lo Jack and do not want a sales pitch but rather a discussion to learn what is out there.

Give Patrick a call. He's a laid back guy who will tell you what is available and the pros and cons of each system.

Heh, sounds like there was some action while I was at work!

Have to say I got a kick out of the firefighters in drag though.:lol2:

As for the bag drag I was talking about, it was just to make sure all my paper work and basic supplies are in order should I need to deploy. Nothing too exciting. Everything took up about half of one of the generic OD backpack/duffels.

We are a Lojack dealer.
Here in the Houston area they have a 97% recovery rate within the first 24 hours and a 99% recovery rate overall.
I have one customer that has gotten his bike back twice, the first time in 14 hours the second in two hours.
I'm such a believer in the system I lobbied hard for it to be implemented for bikes here in Houston several years ago.
TWTex pricing on. A Lojack with Early Warning is $699.00.
Most insurance companies offer up to a 10% discount for having Lojack.
If you'd like more info give me a call at the shop.

Bag drag, haven't thought of those in years and don't miss them at all. I spent 25 years flying all over the world via milair and there's nothing like a 18 hour flight followed by two hours of unloading pallets at the end. My last three years were great though--spent it on the IG team. Your bags are loaded and unloaded by local base personnel.

Back