• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Lojack experience

Can anyone confirm receiving an insurance discount in Texas for having a LoJack installed and how much? I know Geico wouldn't give me any discount for my car. I've also read that most insurance companies only give a LoJack discount if mandated by the state. Since Texas is laissez faire and the fact that Geico doesn't give a discount obviously no law here.

_

Just my experience, We probably had the LoJack receivers in about a 1/3 of our squads when they first came onscene. I never got a hit that led to the stolen vehicle but that is not to say others didn't.

Me personally, I would use the $700 on other methods of prevention.

Some might want to check out a tracker Dewalt has. I think it is around a $250 buy in. I'm not sure the size of the tracker compared to LoJack either.

Just my experience, We probably had the LoJack receivers in about a 1/3 of our squads when they first came onscene. I never got a hit that led to the stolen vehicle but that is not to say others didn't.

Me personally, I would use the $700 on other methods of prevention.

Some might want to check out a tracker Dewalt has. I think it is around a $250 buy in. I'm not sure the size of the tracker compared to LoJack either.

Most of the other systems on the market are GPS based and are defeated when they are inside of something like a van or building. None of them are supported by Police directly.

Obviously Lojack works, otherwise they wouldn't have the recovery rate that they do.

Can anyone confirm receiving an insurance discount in Texas for having a LoJack installed and how much? I know Geico wouldn't give me any discount for my car. I've also read that most insurance companies only give a LoJack discount if mandated by the state. Since Texas is laissez faire and the fact that Geico doesn't give a discount obviously no law here.

_

USAA does for me on my cars.
Progressive does the same on my bikes.
Not all insurance companies do, but I bet if you tell them you got a competitive quote from another insurer who DOES give the discount, they'd match it.

In all fairness, not that many people had the units installed back then. We get heavy equipment and stolen generator types of hits quite often. There are more people these days that have it, but I do think Lo-Jack needs to advertise some.

Was the bike stored outdoors??

In an apartment complex parking lot with a keypad. Same entry code for all residents.

What I think may have happened is that someone jumped the fence, rolled the bike to the exit (where the sensor automatically opens the gate), and rolled it up into a vehicle.

I'm reopening this old thread because I've been considering doing this on my new Honda CR-V. I'm only a few hundred yards from the Rez and 2.5 hours from the border and while vehicle thefts from my neighborhood isn't rampant, it does happen more than I'd like.

I'd like to hear from those have it on a cage; when did you get it, what did it cost you, have you had to utilize it and if so what were the results?

Also, if there is competition in this area, who are they and does anyone recommend one over the other?

Thanks

I'm not sure how they have such a high recovery rate when my agency stopped equipping our cars with them. When we did have them I don't remember any cases where a stolen car was found. A lot of stolen vehicles drive through our jurisdiction.

I can't recall ever getting a call from Lojack that they were tracking a stolen vehicle and asking for our assistance to recover it.

I would look around for something better , ten years ago I bought a fairily new komatsu backhoe at auction , half a mill machine that I bought for 125,000 bucks , first time I got a service call for it not running good I called the service manager for the komatsu dealer and asked for suggestions on what to check , he told me to hang on a minuet , then said it was low fuel pressure , probably plugged fuel filter . Then told me that machine was on a satellite communication system that ran full machine diagnostics daily , had full recoarding of run time , work time , all engine diaginistics while it was working and had paremeters that could be set to shut the machine off if it were taken out of the preset parameters and I could access that information from my computer and it was included in the cost of the machine for life even though I didn’t buy it New . Kinda put a feather in their cap about service .

Ha ha ha... in doing a Google search for alternatives I found this...

Calamp / LoJack have just announced that they will be shutting down the LoJack service effective December 17th 2020. This means you LoJack system will cease to function and an alternative solution should be located.

Back