• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Lone Star Loop (2,180 DS loop)

JUSTIN. THE TRAC I GOT TAKES IT FARTHER OUT WEST OF SAN ANTONIO TAKING A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF TIME.

LOOKS LIKE THAT WOULD BE NEAT FOR THE AUSTIN BUNCH TO THINK ABOUT BECAUSE IT BEGINS AND ENDS IN YOUR CENTEX AREA.

Here's a raw video of a portion of the ride I did on Jan 1. This is somewhere between Floresville and Gonzales.

Brian, how does this look as a possible ride around San Antonio? I picked some roads between Castell and Bastrop (the green markers). It goes south of Austin. Unfortunately, I don't know of any roads between 281 and Bastrop that are un-paved, not in this area anyway. Most of the roads between Castell and 281 are dirt with a little pavement connecting unpaved sections. All the rest is portions of the Lone Star Loop. I think this could be done in a couple days.

SA DP Ride Lone Star Loop portion.png

Brian, how does this look as a possible ride around San Antonio? I picked some roads between Castell and Bastrop (the green markers). It goes south of Austin. Unfortunately, I don't know of any roads between 281 and Bastrop that are un-paved, not in this area anyway. Most of the roads between Castell and 281 are dirt with a little pavement connecting unpaved sections. All the rest is portions of the Lone Star Loop. I think this could be done in a couple days.

View attachment 48091
Man, thats impressive. Looks great. The most important thing is that it would need to be short enough so that it could be realistically completed in two days (Sat and Sunday) for us weekend warriors.

I know the portion from Castell to Bastrop quite well. Easy on the Ural, not so much on two wheels as it crosses Sandy Creek a few times. Then the Gonzales to Camp Wood I've rode a few times. From Camp Wood to Rock Springs there's a route for dual sports and another route for ADV bikes. I haven't ridden the more technical portion. Considering the person who made the loop put that in there as an option, the more technical part might be beyond my capabilities. I haven't ridden the part between Gonzales and Bastrop or from Rock Springs to Castell, so that is an unknown for me. Still, barring any break downs or accidents, I think this is doable in two days. Two days of hard riding without many breaks. I'm willing to give it a go some time in the spring when it begins to warm a little. I'd want to tent camp to really make it an adventure and to save money.

View attachment 48091
Jwaller, would you mind sharing a GPS file for that route?

Thx!

Jwaller, would you mind sharing a GPS file for that route?

Thx!

Not at all. I'm having a problem attaching it as a kmz or kml file, or any other for that matter. If you pm me your e-mail address, I'll send you a link to the map in google and add you. That's all I can think to do for now as a workaround solution.

Not at all. I'm having a problem attaching it as a kmz or kml file, or any other for that matter. If you pm me your e-mail address, I'll send you a link to the map in google and add you. That's all I can think to do for now as a workaround solution.
Thx! I pm'd you email.

@jerrybo, I just did west of San Antonio to Floresville today on a CRF250L. Casual stretch. Some interesting areas. Briefly missed a turn riding the shoulder to play in some sand. The literally dirt trail between 2 fields west of Floresville was a great surprise. The work this must have been to put this together. Amazing.

A couple buddies and I are taking this ride end of January or early February from OKC. Camping along the way. I’ll be on my 1250GSA and buddies on T7s. What is the most recent updated gpx file? Anything we need to watch out for? Looking forward to the trip for sure.

Are you guys doing the whole loop? Clockwise or counterclockwise?

Stay out of Texa$ $tate Park$. They are expen$ive and inflexible. Lots of COE campgrounds around. They are cheap and empty, and usually pretty nice.

Sand in East Texas. But if you're with a group, no problemo.

No matter what track you are following will be wrong, so just grab one and go. Every track I've ever followed needs some adjustment. Public roads become 'unpublic' overnight. So just plan on being flexible. And document your progress for the rest of us!

Ya, doing the whole loop. Probably going clockwise but haven’t finalized yet. Good to know on the state parks, thanks.

Keep posted. May meet y’all along the way and ride for a bit. It will be frosty.

Ya figure the north section will be a bit cool and will get hotel rooms but southern should be fine and we’ll camp off the bike.

For those who have done this ride, what is the technical difficulty? Is it basically just dirt roads or are there technical sections mixed in as well? If so, what type of technical sections?

Top half : Couple of slippery water crossings. Roads are good. Remember they are not looking for bikes.

As already mentioned, the only technical aspects are sand and moss-covered water crossings. The most technical area is north and south of Junction and around Camp Wood. Watch out for bump-gates! You can open them with your bike if you time it just right, but the safer thing is for someone to hold it open while you pass through. They will dump you on your butt before you know it. Same goes for the water crossing, slick as owl poop. Sand is primarily in west and east Texas but not too bad. Haven't ridden the whole route in a few years so not sure of current road conditions. As far as I know, the GPX files I posted are the most current.

For those who have done this ride, what is the technical difficulty? Is it basically just dirt roads or are there technical sections mixed in as well? If so, what type of technical sections?

Did you make this ride?

Not yet. Scheduled to go march 1 - March 10. See if we can get it all done or have to short cut out.

Love to hear your feedback afterwards. I really started deep diving into this one yesterday and am finding it is predominately asphalt. I know a lot of places in a 100 mile radius to me went of paving sprees during covid so that may play part into it but the bulk of the southern section has been asphalt for a long time. In process of building a route based on this to eliminate a lot of the pavement but it's also going to cut milage down.

Back