• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Lone Star Loop (southern section)

Reaction score
After a fellow member brought the LSL to my attention I have been looking it over and thinking about tackling a section of it over the course of a few days. I am thinking about starting in Pleasanton and running it over to New Waverly. I would likely break this up over two or three days with over night stays at a cheap motel/hotel/VRBO/AirBNB or possibly at camp sites. I am thinking day one from Pleasanton to Bastrop, that's roughly 145 miles and day two Bastrop to New Waverly which is roughly 155 miles. I am flexible on the days of the week but I'd like to try and head up to Pleasanton on a Thursday evening and then start day one the following morning. Overnight stays in the Bastrop area on Friday night and then finish up in New Waverly which would allow for an overnight in the north Houston area that Saturday evening or burn back home that same day depending on where everyone lives and the time of the day that we finish up day two. Lunch on day one in Gonzales and day two in or around Brenham.

I have no idea how much of this section is dirt/gravel versus tarmac but I doubt any of it is beyond a standard road bikes capabilities so long as you're fine with riding on gravel. Pace and speed of the track will be dependent on the abilities of the group but I'd lean more towards the leisurely side of things simply to take in the surroundings and to stretch the route over the course of each day. If anyone is interested in doing this or possibly a slightly altered version please chime in and we can discuss dates, logistics, etc.

Well it looks like we are pushing for early March for this ride. So far we have quite the motley crew assembled and committed to going. (1) KTM 890 Adventure R (1) KTM 790 Adventure R (1) Honda CRF450L (1) Honda CRF250L (1) Yamaha TW200. It'll be interesting lol.

Lengths are listed in the first post, roughly 300 miles total, 145 day one and 155 day two. I’m not certain of the percentage that is gravel and dirt roads as I’ve never ridden this route but I am assuming that more than half of it will be gravel/dirt.

That route must be fairly direct. Google maps shows 124 miles from Pleasanton to Bastrop and 128 miles from Bastrop to New Waverly.

Lengths are listed in the first post, roughly 300 miles total, 145 day one and 155 day two. I’m not certain of the percentage that is gravel and dirt roads as I’ve never ridden this route but I am assuming that more than half of it will be gravel/dirt.
If you are going to be going through Gonzales, there are some lovely gravel roads around there

Small world! We are just north of the Henkhaus turn-off on 95.
Small world indeed! My home place is between Komensky and Breslau. The parents are still living there. My wife and I are in Ezzell near the Lavaca River bridge and the nice gravel roads beyond it.

We ran the entire route in 3D the other day and it looks like only 30-35% of it is dirt/gravel. I am looking into alternate routes in areas to hit more dirt/gravel without extended the distance much but if that's not possible we will run it as routed. Seems to be a lot of tree lined roads along this section. Definitely looking at an overnight and dinner in Bastrop Friday night.

So it looks like this trip is going to get pushed out for now. One of the main riders is due for surgery that week and due to other ride commitments we can't have it earlier than planned. Stay tuned for a new date in the coming months.

Back