• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Looking at buying a new gps

Reaction score
Wanting to buy a new GPS i just thought id ask you guys what you use while riding duelsport looking around the 200 dollar range

and so ive heard... if i was just wanting to ride primarily in texas but just want the best map for a detailed expanse of every little road plus just be able to get me back to the road if i go exploing off road what which map would that be

The Garmin Montana sounds like it would meet your needs, but it is pricey by the time you purchase the GPS, maps and mount.

Man, these things are expensive! Subing, to this. I've been wanting a new one but I'm worried that with my eyes I wouldn't be able to see the small screens. That Montana would be nice, but 600 bucks, YIKES!

i'm in the same boat. looking for a good, but affordable unit.

what do y'all think about..

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Navigator-Waterproof-screen-batteries/dp/B009NNDVQK/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1389984484&sr=1-9#productDetails"]Amazon.com: Motorcycle&Car GPS Navigator ,Waterproof, 3.5" touch screen,Fully Loaded USA Maps With Two batteries &4GB SD Map Card: Electronics[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/TomTom-RIDER-Motorcycle-Navigator-Lifetime/dp/B00BHADL3U/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_1"]Amazon.com: TomTom RIDER Motorcycle GPS Navigator with Lifetime Maps: GPS & Navigation[/ame]

are the hand held units easy to use? i kinda thought the larger touch screens were the way to go.

well i think my choices are between a gpsmap62s, oregon 450, etrex 20, and a dakota 20

These are all good units with one serious flaw. They do not have an axillary power plug robust enough for use on a motorcycle. If you do not mind using batteries, Ni-mh's work great.

If you have to have aux power input, then you should look at the gpsmap78 series. The 78's have the same screen as the 62's and the same software features, but they also have good power jacks. The USB power input jacks on the others will fail with the vibration on any thumper.

That said, I use my Oregon 300 and my Montana 600 on my 2t KDX, ac only, with batteries and both units will last all day on one set of rechargable AAs.

The smaller the screen the more squinting you will do to see it. I tried using the GPS on my phone a few years ago, mounting it to the bars. At the time it had a screen size similar to many handheld GPS and it was anywhere from difficult to dangerous trying to read it while riding. So, I ended up having to stop more often and get a picture of the map in my head. Having to remove gloves for the phone's touch screen was a pain too. (there are capacitive touch screen capable gloves now)

Then I fought diligently against my penny-pinching side and bought a Zumo 660 before a long trip. Looking back, I have gotten more use from it because of the larger screen, glove-friendly touch interface, and tying it into a SENA intercom for turn by turn voice, MP3, and phone interface via Bluetooth. It is very easy to read and operate while riding and has been a boon to back road explorations and trail riding in places like Cloudcroft, NM.

I have permanent mounts on the Tiger and the DRZ and have loaded trails, topo maps, routes, audiio books, etc. and rarely ride without using some feature of the Zumo. But, it was expensive. If it lasts me ten years the cost doesn't seem so bad.

Many of the handhelds now have touch screens comparable in size to the Zumo, so there is a way to get most of the same features in a rugged unit for less money.

The uber-cheap GPS units might get the job done, but they may come up short in the long run if they don't include map software and a computer interface for route and track planning.

I read a lot before buying the Zumo. There are plenty of threads on ADVrider, various GPS forums, etc. Some of what I read that influenced me toward the Zumo was reinforced by the knowledge I would be happier from a penny-pinching perspective if I only bought once rather than twice to get what I wanted from the GPS.

YMMV

are the hand held units easy to use? i kinda thought the larger touch screens were the way to go.

They are easy to use when stopped, but all are difficult to dangerous to try to make menu changes when moving.

I find touch screens easier since most allow you to change menu items on the main screens making most often used features more easily available.

All my gloves have this simple mod to make manipulating the touch screens easier. After the silicone hardens, clip the tail end down to a point. It will last a surprisingly long time before it falls off and has to be redone.

CIMG0655-XL.jpg

I picked up this Garmin Street Pilot III of ebay for $35.00. It's not the latest and greatest but it's solid and has a proven track record.
IMG_20140118_161543_zps9e9abcb5.jpg

Man, these things are expensive! Subing, to this. I've been wanting a new one but I'm worried that with my eyes I wouldn't be able to see the small screens. That Montana would be nice, but 600 bucks, YIKES!

Some of the larger car models make excellent motorcycle GPS's. I used a Garmin 1450LMT in a RAM cradle with a USB cord wired directly to the battery on a couple of bikes. You might have to cover it when it rains, but for $200 total cost, it was worth the trade off.

Last edited:
So that street pilot is a good duel sport GPS it will load a map that will show you even the smallest little roads and get help you find the road maybe if you go exploring offload

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of the larger car models make excellent motorcycle GPS's. I used a Garmin 1450LMT in a RAM cradle with a USB cord wired directly to the battery on a couple of bikes. You might have to cover it when it rains, but for $200 total cost, it was worth the trade off.

I've been running a NUVI 755T for several years. I keep sandwich Ziplocs in the tailbag. Nice big screen and easy to see. I have had to replace the power connector a couple times due to electrolysis so now, remove the fuse when not in use. One thing I discovered is it is brighter when powered through the cradle vs the USB port. Called Garmin on it and they said some models are that way.

So that street pilot is a good duel sport GPS it will load a map that will show you even the smallest little roads and get help you find the road maybe if you go exploring offload

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you've got a computer running older windows yep. Sadly I don't. That's the only rub I have with it. But when I fall over and break it, and I will. I'll only be out $35.00. Don't get me wrong. I do want one of the newer ones, but I got's my priorities.

Not much I don't think. I'm in the market for a win/98 computer right now for the sole purpose of loading maps on the it. Seems a **** but it's what it is right now.:yawn:

I have a Delorme PN-60w which is a very nice unit. It comes with software and a full set of topo maps. The problem is compatibility with garmin maps and their software is not compatible with Mac's.

Not much I don't think. I'm in the market for a win/98 computer right now for the sole purpose of loading maps on the it. Seems a **** but it's what it is right now.:yawn:

I have a win98 laptop that I have not used in many years that you are welcome too. I bet the battery is bad.

I have a Delorme PN-60w which is a very nice unit. It comes with software and a full set of topo maps. The problem is compatibility with garmin maps and their software is not compatible with Mac's.

don't know about the Delorme stuff you have butt i have an older cd from them that works on my older macbook

the garmin literature claims to be compatible w/ mac 10.6 and later

that's why i got the garmin 1450(the simplest unit that can be multi-point routed, so THEY claim) coming, from fleabay

sure hope i didn't make a $1 faux pas

Back