• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Looking for a good commuter

How tall are you? You may not want a bike with a full fairing because like a previous poster said, if it drops than it can crack the fairing. Frame sliders and engine guards can protect your first bike if it drops though. A Yamaha V-Star 650 might be a good cruiser. Hondas get excellent gas mileage! Honda CB500x or Honda NC 700 may be good. There is also CB 500F which looks sportier. Very reliable.
V stroms and Versys are tall bikes that can be more difficult to manage in low speed maneuvers, but you can also lower them. I rode a v strom for a commuter for years. So many bikes and so many choices!

Last edited:
Nice thing about the low-tech cruiser bikes is even though they have sizable displacement they use it all in torque, not horsepower. This makes for easy in-town riding and allows you to add some weight later in bags and top-cases. They are heavier but the weight is low and so is the seat height which makes it much more manageable. They are also very stable just cruising down the road and dealing with road imperfections. My biggest gripe is that they are typically under-braked.

I agree with the Versys 650 in the for sale section here. I had one and loved it. Rode it from Ft.Worth to Los Angeles cruising 80-95mph most of the way. Ran like a top. Was great for commuting here because its a taller bike so i could see well ahead when traffic was a mess and thats all the time. Great engine it will run away from the Vulcan. Plus the gas mileage was over 50 miles a gallon. Simply to do the maintenance yourself only take 2 quarts of oil. Below is the bike loaded down in-between Texas and California At the time i weighed 275lbs before gear Did 850 miles the first day and the remaining 550 the next. It was mid-summer so got a room in the early afternoon.

5749348548_4cbba062bf_o.jpgIMG_0135 by weljo2001, on Flickr

The vulcan is the main option I have really. It's a 2013 kawasaki vulcan, only 22k looks Clean. I just want your guys opinion on that, I'm not commenting really far, more like a 15- 20 min commute.
The Vulcan is a good bike. Mid-sized, reliable, easy to ride.
It's 900cc but that is not big for cruisers. The engines are tuned for easy to use torque and the 900 will make more than enough power for interstate speeds. I think all the 900s are fuel injected so no carburetors to fuss with (you'll want to confirm that). Some riders can't get comfortable on cruisers (ergonomics/comfort is entirely individualized - what doesn't work for one person may be great for someone else) so check that out and don't let the excitement overwhelm your logic.

The vulcan is the main option I have really. It's a 2013 kawasaki vulcan, only 22k looks Clean. I just want your guys opinion on that, I'm not commenting really far, more like a 15- 20 min commute.

I too commute 15-20 min to work with my bike, almost daily except when it rains or freezes.
I primarily do so on either my adventure or cruiser bike. Both are fabulous for performing that task.
If I could, I would however recommend, that if at all possible you hold off on purchasing a bike until you have fully completed your basic rider’s course. Too many times while working as an assistant rider coach I saw students who came into the course believing that their bike of choice was A and by the end of the course realizing that it was B. During the course they had learned one essential and very valuable lesson, the way that they behaved on the bike showed them what type of rider they were and what bike ultimately best suited them. This was something that occurred over and over regardless of age, sex, or physical abilities.

Last edited:
This sounds like a job for a Vstrom 650. Good middle of the road bike to get your feet wet with. Enough power that you don't grow out of it quickly, but tame enough to not get away from you too easily.

Uh for a grand more than your budget, the Duc Multistradea with bags for sale here makes a great commuter.
Easy on the throttle and you won't outgrow it. It will munch hwy miles too...

If you can find one, I'd recommend a Honda NC700x for commuting. I just picked one up and absolutely love it. I hit the rev limiter a lot but with six gears she's always got enough get-up-and-go for commute traffic, and you can't beat the MPG. The upright seating position is great for traffic and it has a watertight tunk (tank trunk) you can fit a large backpack into. The rear fueling setup helps enforce the dismount-to-refuel safe behavior.

zbldR7o.jpg

Last edited:
As others have suggested, Vstrom 650, CB500F/X, Versys 650, NC700X750X, SV650 are solid choices. Personally, I’ve had a gen1 vstrom 650, and I currently have a gen1 CB500X.

For in city riding, the little CB is probably the best bike I’ve had. It‘s what I would call a 7/8ths size bike. The smaller frame, upright riding position and parallel twin make for a very smooth, flickable bike in town, though it is a little buzzy when you approach 70 mph on the highway.

The Vstrom, as others mentioned, can be a little top heavy but it’s manageable. For anything on the highway, it’s a solid bike. The vtwin has decent power, though not as silky smooth as the parallel twins and the upright position makes for a comfortable ride.

I don’t have experience with any of the other models, and only know what I have read on this and other forums. A few things to consider: What riding position are you most comfortable with? Availability of luggage and accessories? Also, the NC is available with the DCT if that’s what you want..

I can't believe that none of you have recommended the end all be all of commuting motorcycles!?!?!?

Side note, and I'll certainly be the Debbie downer here, but why are you wanting to commute on a motorbike? I've done it.... a LOT. And it is only moderatley pleasurable at the best of times and pretty downright miserable at the worst of times. You will not save any money, in fact it will end up costing a lot more in the long run, and unless you have a job that doesn't mind you coming it drenched in sweat or rain, clothes wrinkled, hair a mess, then you will quickly find out that it isn't all it is cracked up to be. Oh and it takes way longer to commute via 2-wheels than 4. Just keep that in mind.

I know, I know, I'm on a motorcycling forum so I'm supposed to be all sunshine and unicorn poo happy about everything 2-wheeled. But I'm just trying to show a different perspective that most folks tend to gloss over for commuters.

You're quite right DFW_Warrior
Motorcycle commuting is not all sunshine and lollipops.
But that’s the nature of commuting.
But, as a commercial truck driver, there’s nothing better than
parking my truck and destress by warming/checking the bike and putting on my gear.
By the time i’m out of the parking lot and down the road its a whole different world.
By the time i’m home i’m a much happier, yet still tired person.

A bike commute beats the heck out of truck commute for me. It's a short 7.5 mile trip one way. It's not an all weather thing for me, however. Riding just puts me in a better headspace most times.

Last edited:
I won't comute on I-35, It may put me in a good mood all the way home :rofl: I did comute on 45 toll road but it had a large escape shoulder. I had to do 80mpn minimum on my Triumph triple just tokeep up with traffic.
Whe I got near the picture takin thingy I sometimes rode through on the middle lane stripe. Wonder if that steal works :lol2:
The parking was easy when I got there.

Yeah, don't underestimate a scooter either. I like mine but it was not within your budget.

Yeah, don't underestimate a scooter either. I like mine but it was not within your budget.
I still remember following you up to that restaurant near Possum Kingdom lake and barely being able to keep up with you. Wasn't that a Burgman you were on back then or was that the T-Max?

I still remember following you up to that restaurant near Possum Kingdom lake and barely being able to keep up with you. Wasn't that a Burgman you were on back then or was that the T-Max?
It was A Burgman. Heavy and low but handled the Twisties pretty well.

He is still looking and watching here, he is a co-worker of mine, I sent him here to look at a few bikes.
I am working with him on this as well.
I am working on a few leads here and elsewhere for him.
A lot of what was said here I told him as well.

Last edited:
Sadly, my Africa Twin has been nothing but a commuter for the 6 weeks. All the weekend riding has been with my mom on the Goldwing. That said, it's a great bike to ride in traffic. Commanding view, lots of power, good handling, can hop curbs, ride shoulders and medians, and seems to get notice from fellow road users.

Back