• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Looking for a good commuter

He is still looking and watching here, he is a co-worker of mine, I sent him here to look at a few bikes.
I am working with him on this as well.
I am working on a few leads here and elsewhere for him.
A lot of what was said here I told him as well.
Yeah I have seen him respond in stuff for sales here so good for him. Hope he finds something soon. I still think the Multi Strada is the way to go if he isn't short like me. He can grow into it as far as skill set goes and more comfortable on the highway than a 300.

Yeah I have seen him respond in stuff for sales here so good for him. Hope he finds something soon. I still think the Multi Strada is the way to go if he isn't short like me. He can grow into it as far as skill set goes and more comfortable on the highway than a 300.
Man, but the maintenance on the older Ducs is not very friendly to the wallet. That poor dude is going to have sticker shock when his first maintenance costs about half of what the bike was. Full disclosure, I don't know the exact figure of the full belt change maintenance but I know it isn't cheap.

Man, but the maintenance on the older Ducs is not very friendly to the wallet. That poor dude is going to have sticker shock when his first maintenance costs about half of what the bike was. Full disclosure, I don't know the exact figure of the full belt change maintenance but I know it isn't cheap.
Yeah I have heard that and that stopped me from getting a Monster 696 but I thought someone else posted here that for the DIY'er the maintenance is kinda simple. Any dealer will charge a bunch but I bet there is an Independent shop in Houston that might be more reasonable?

Having owned one...I would strongly argue against a Ducati for commuting. Any savings in fuel will be completely swallowed up in maintenance costs. And that maintenance is anything but simple.

Ducati maintenance is pretty simple to do yourself. Not sure why so many people are afraid of it. Belts are super simple. Valves -- depends on 2v 3v 4v, but still doable.
I've commuted on the RSV 1000, but the DUC is much more comfortable. It's also a lot more smiles than the EX500 ninja, but that is virtually maintenance free.
I could be coerced into parting with the Ninja pretty cheaply, too bad you're not closer.
Anyway, don't be afraid of Ducati maintenance, unless you don't know a wrench from a spanner (wait, they're the same!)...
(On my second Ducati ST for what it's worth -- sold one and missed it too much. The ST4s is averaging 49.1 MPG at the moment, and I don't ride it gentle into that good night)

Well, not sure if he will post back here or not, but he passed his MSF course and ended up getting a VTX (not sure if it is a 1300 or 1800) for $3000.
I know nothing about the bike yet, I found out when I came to work today he bought it.

My VTX is a great commuter bike.
Has tons of torque and an integrated braking system to get out of sticky traffic situation
and at times also has “the personality” to also responsibly inject a little fun in the commute.

Back