• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Looking for a pop up camper

rpcraft...
It does have the 4.0 with auto trans. 2018 crewcab sv 4x4. I've thought about building my own for years but it always got pushed behind other projects. Finally gave up on the idea.

tshelfer..
Thanks for all the advice and information. I've realized I'm probably going to have to compromise for an outdoor shower and porta-pot. Maybe even an outdoor stove.

I looked at a new Coachmen Viking Express 9.0td Friday. Waiting on a return call to go check out a used Starcraft Comet A-frame with a deck on front to haul my crf 250l. Hoping I can look at it tomorrow.

losersteve..
If the one I hope to look at tomorrow doesn't work out, I may call about the one you pointed out but it will be next weekend before I have the time. The good deals disappear fast.

Learning a lot from y'all. I appreciate all the input.

Unless you buy a tiny starter model, practically all popups these days will have a stove and many have a fridge. Quite a few have a forced-air heater, although a catalytic heater that runs on Coleman fuel will heat most popups nicely. Most have a/c, too - if you buy one that doesn't, it's usually an easy install. Just check the model with a dealer first, to be sure.

If you get a Casita, in ten years it will be worth as much as now,,,,maybe more if well kept.
That is a true statement why I will make sure what we want to do before we sell ours. I would love to have a M/C rack on back, but won't work and one up front is too much tongue weight. I call them a poor man's Airstream :-D

What did you think about the little TD? I’ve become aware of these recently and wonder if it would suit my needs behind a 2-door Jeep Wrangler.
For 1 or 2 people, I think it would be great. The one I looked at had everything I wanted. AC, heat, fridge, wet sink, radio, Shower was outside and the toilet was a portable unit. I don't remember if it had an indoor range but it had one you could hook on the outside. Also had a screened room you could zip on when you were camping, a cargo rack on top and storage beneath the bed that you could access from both sides outside. It was already sold and they won't have anymore for 2 or 3 weeks. Their web site (Kanar RV in Early) says they have 2 in stock but sales lady said they were sold out. Should be fine behind a 2 door wrangler. I had one till grandbaby #2 came along. You can't put 2 car seats in the back and still have room for people in the front so the Jeep had to go.

For 1 or 2 people, I think it would be great. The one I looked at had everything I wanted. AC, heat, fridge, wet sink, radio, Shower was outside and the toilet was a portable unit. I don't remember if it had an indoor range but it had one you could hook on the outside. Also had a screened room you could zip on when you were camping, a cargo rack on top and storage beneath the bed that you could access from both sides outside. It was already sold and they won't have anymore for 2 or 3 weeks. Their web site (Kanar RV in Early) says they have 2 in stock but sales lady said they were sold out. Should be fine behind a 2 door wrangler. I had one till grandbaby #2 came along. You can't put 2 car seats in the back and still have room for people in the front so the Jeep had to go.

That’s helpful, Thank you. I’m going to try to see one up close. Although perhaps I should just wait and follow your lead because we just found out grandbaby #2 is slated for late fall...

97.9837% of the time a little portable bottle gas cook top is more than adequate. And a roof rack full of junk will really damage mpg and often towability. Less is more!

I bought my pop up from Toppers RV in Waller Tx. They beat two dealers in Georgetown tx. By 2 K and were a pleasure to deal with. Mine was a new cash deal, and I did bargain them down. They even installed electric brake control on my Tacoma.

I bought my pop up from Toppers RV in Waller Tx. They beat two dealers in Georgetown tx. By 2 K and were a pleasure to deal with. Mine was a new cash deal, and I did bargain them down. They even installed electric brake control on my Tacoma.
Found their web-site. I'll check them out.

Found their web-site. I'll check them out.
They are a big place and worth the drive. Don't be timid on bargaining. These Central Texas Dealers were a pain for me as well. It was worth the drive down by Brenham. I had an issue with the motor that raised the top and they pulled part off another unit to get me going.

They are a big place and worth the drive. Don't be timid on bargaining. These Central Texas Dealers were a pain for me as well. It was worth the drive down by Brenham. I had an issue with the motor that raised the top and they pulled part off another unit to get me going.
That type service is very impressive these days! And regarding the bargaining, there is a huge huge markup in new RVs. Have no mercy on them!

Made a verbal agreement today on an A-frame hard side pop up with a 4 ft toy hauler deck on the front. Going back Friday to re-inspect and make sure all the issues I pointed out have been taken care of. Hopefully I will be able to take it home then. Thanks for all the leads and helpful advice.

Made a verbal agreement today on an A-frame hard side pop up with a 4 ft toy hauler deck on the front. Going back Friday to re-inspect and make sure all the issues I pointed out have been taken care of. Hopefully I will be able to take it home then. Thanks for all the leads and helpful advice.
I like the front deck. You will love it

Photos mandatory!
Won't take possession till Friday (hopefully). Will try to post pics next week.

Picture posting process as follows:
1...Take pics with old LG flip phone that I have carried in my pocket so long that the black coating is wearing off.
2...Send pics in text message to helpful sister who has better phone.
3...Sister sends pics in e-mail to my laptop.... Also sends text message asking me why I don't get a new phone.
4...Stare intensely at laptop, carefully punching keys till I figure out how to post pic from e-mail.
5...If successful, take deep breath and wipe sweat from forehead.
6...If attempt fails, repeat step 4 or give up and try again tomorrow.

I think all the brands have one with a toy hauler deck now except, surprisingly, ALiner, who invented the A-frame concept. Here's an example of a Rockwood.

What model? I've seen the popups but never an A-frame w/ the front deck.
2015 Starcraft. I read a lot of reviews on different makes. They were all over the place on all of them. Some loved'em. Some hated'em. I only found 3 with a toy hauler deck.

I'd expect reviews to be mixed. A-frames are a bit of a specialty item. Actually all trailers, by their nature, have to specialize - like motorcycles - because there's only so much you can fit into a frame.

People like A's because they're light, easy to to with smaller vehicles, warmer & dryer in cold weather than popup, and stupidly simple to set up.

People DON'T like A's because floor space is minimal, there's not much storage, the main bed is often quite small (54"), and the A-shape can leave one somewhat claustrophobic. They fixed some of the space issues by creating a longer frame. But when you put a deck on the front, you've just collapsed the cabin back to a very small space.

Buying a trailer is usually a process of outlining what is mandatory, outlining what is unacceptable, then finding one that ticks as many boxes on the mandatory list as possible, and as few on the unacceptable list as possible.

Back