• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Looking for some constructive feedback about forums vs FB or other social platforms

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
Howdy,

I am curious about the various social media platforms folks like to use and why?

For instance, are you a member of a FB motorcycle group? If so what do you like about it versus using a forum (not just TWT, but any forums)? Is it the ability to have all local content in one place versus looking through a list of threads on a forum? Is it the ability to have non forum members see your content?

Do you use Instagram? WhatsApp? Something else?

I originally started TWT to help riders find other riders, to help create communities of riders, to help folks organizes rides, etc,... One thing I have noticed over the years though is that sometimes a group might start forming on TWT, but then they will sometimes move off to some other platform. It might even be something as simple as a texting list on their phones, not just sites like FB. Some just stop posting about their rides completely once they have a small group of folks. I guess they don't want any new comers?

Anyway, I am just curious about the dynamics of how people come together and why they drift apart.

Please share your thoughts.

I'm not on FB but my wife gives me her password to look . Only time I do is when I've exhausted all the forums that deal with the internal combustion engine .

Stickers ??? We don't need no stinking STICKERS !

I cut my ties to FB on Jan 1, for personal reasons. Nobody was bugging me or anything, just an increased concern about privacy. I also switched to Firefox from Chrome for that reason, although I still have a gmail address, SMH.
I also am somewhat embarrassed to admit I was spending too much time on FB, the clicks are addicting, and also came to the realization no one that I know has ever changed their point of view due to FB "discussions". I had tried to foster than within my own "FB" circle, and found it went nowhere. Probably more than you ever wanted to know. Same reason I've not gone down the Instagram trail and have a very limited Twitter presence and no app on my phone related to social media now.

I use most forms of social media. I also still enjoy forums but I do find myself using Facebook groups more and more.

One of the things that is different, is forums are anonymous (or as anonymous as you want to be). Social media is generally you, expressing yourself as you, with the version of yourself that you put out there.

Both have value.

For someone like me, that uses social media to talk about my acting projects, that makes social media something to be used and managed. It takes away any level of purity.

On a forum, as an anonymous person, people can be more raw.

The NY Times recently had an article on the demise of both blogs & forums on the internet. Part of their conclusion was that people now want bite sized nuggets of info rather than any really meaningful dialog.

I used to surf and post on forums a lot but then it got to the point where it wasn't worth the agrivation, seems there was always someone wanting to take exception to what I posted.

Been a member of FB since 09 but haven't used it all that much until lately. In all that time, my friends are up to 22 which consists of close family and a few friends I've known and met over the years.

As for forums, this one and ADV Gspot is it now a days.

For me, platforms like Facebook are for keeping up with people I don't see regularly, mostly old friends and family. I'm also the moderator of a Facebook group, but that is coming to an end. I'm generally into motorcycle forums for rides, ride reports, reviews and repair. Anything not associated with that is off topic and I'd just as soon not have to stumble over it. Another challenge for keeping users may be the repetitive nature of some topics. I'm happy to offer ideas to a newbee, but sometimes I see a new thread on an old topic and just log out. A great example, would be the "I'm Thinking of Moving to Texas" threads that come up on ADV every few months. There are some on TWT too, but I don't see any need to call them out.

For those concerned about security try Have I Been Pwned. The owner scrapes the dark web for data for sale and works for donations and security services. Checking your email address is free.

The NY Times recently had an article on the demise of both blogs & forums on the internet. Part of their conclusion was that people now want bite sized nuggets of info rather than any really meaningful dialog.

I've been rereading Amusing Ourselves to Death by Neil Postman. It's really scary to think that public discourse has devolved into 280 character insults.

I’m a “keyword” kinda search guy. That’s how I found TWT. Took about 3 years of lurking before I signed on. The clincher was the politeness and actual friendship of members. As Triumphter said, you can be invisible and can be raw. That’s why I’ve never been on FB or anything else. I was just looking to find common folk with common riding intrests close to mine. When I do ask a question on this site, I feel like I’m getting an answer from someone with real experience not someone who is just biased to a particular flavor.

I’m a “keyword” kinda search guy. That’s how I found TWT. Took about 3 years of lurking before I signed on. The clincher was the politeness and actual friendship of members. As Triumphter said, you can be invisible and can be raw. That’s why I’ve never been on FB or anything else. I was just looking to find common folk with common riding intrests close to mine. When I do ask a question on this site, I feel like I’m getting an answer from someone with real experience not someone who is just biased to a particular flavor.

TWT is very much the anomaly amongst forums, I think must of us hang out here for the exact same reasons as you.

TWT is pretty much it for me. I’m on a few other forums, but not active. I don’t do FB, instagram or any other social media. I’m not sure why, but I just don’t get it. I don’t even like to use Tapatalk to access TWT. I do text several members and get together and ride. I have a busy schedule and not much time to ride so when I can it’s short notice and might shoot a text to a couple of folks who understand my situation. It’s not that I don’t want new comers, but I might have to cut out in the middle of a ride. I don’t usually stop to eat. I often won’t dismount my bike or remove my helmet when I get fuel. I just ride solo most of the time.
I do enjoy reading ride reports and seeing projects. I have also meet some great folks through this forum.
I also enjoy helping people and TWT presents me the opportunity to see someone local that may need some help or even far off that just needs some advice.

Last edited:
no FB or other social media accounts. I like my privacy.

Randy

Reactions: Vec
I have most of the social media platforms but mainly use it to stay in touch with family or friends. I don’t really get the whole posting what I do everyday thing like other people are addicted to doing. I like to keep most of my memories or stories to myself to tell in person. I do enjoy reading the stories and motorcycle tips in general on here, that’s why I joined.

I have been on FB quite a while, I like to go to the marketplace, always looking for a bargain, otherwise, I don't really like FB I just don't get it, I am new to motorcycles and new to joining forums, this is the first forum I have joined and became active. I enjoy the knowledge that is accumulated here.

I have not been on FB in 11 years. Wife has a dummy account that I use for market place. I hate Twitter with a passion. Instagram as well. Both of those are to much information passing. I really hate how few words people use to express their thoughts. Maybe I'm old fashion but I prefer a forum with good conversation. I especially enjoy this forum and the diverse crowd it has. I also appreciate how calm and respectful most folks are on this forum. I have been on a lot of other forums and find that everyone wants to be right at any cost.
Thanks Scott for providing this great place to chat and get to know others with similar passions.

I wonder if part of the appeal for FB is the ability to have one platform where you can belong to numerous different groups according to your interests. All your alerts come to one place, everything has the same format, etc,... This is part of what the people that use Tapatalk like about it for forums.

I personally think it’s silly how much people my age post about what’s going on in their every day life’s, not big events or amazing trips, it’s stuff like getting a certain brand of drink or going to the gas station to get fuel. I don’t see why some people enjoy filling their brains with that during the day.

I wonder if part of the appeal for FB is the ability to have one platform where you can belong to numerous different groups according to your interests. All your alerts come to one place, everything has the same format, etc,... This is part of what the people that use Tapatalk like about it for forums.

Facebook actually has an older demographic. The "kids" do not use it like their parents and grandparents do. The younger folks prefer simpler platforms that were designed around the smartphone.

I will be 44 (genX) this year my wife is 32 (Millennial). My age is about the absolute last age that could get out of college without the internet. I am known as an "adapter." and my wife went through high school with not only the internet but social media and it was essential for college. The way we use and approach social media was very different. I used it for a "quarterly update" and to see what old friends were doing....and only on one platform (FB) She, and pretty much all of her cohort and younger, use it as a diary, valid communication tool, news and a number of other things and it is natural for them. My wife and people her age and younger take selfies everywhere and post them. I always felt very uncomfortable taking selfies and had no interest in posting so much of my life.

Oddly enough, with the acting thing, I have been taught and pushed to adopt the social media habits of Millennials and younger.

Independent of that, as things like Facebook have matured, like I said in an earlier post, I find myself using/lurking their groups more and more. They really are a good resource.

I prefer forums for their simplicity.
I can click one button - new posts - and I can quickly, on one screen see all the newest responses and posts.

Also, I know forum owners like to "personalize" the look, feel and operation.
So it kills consistency.

Facebook delivers the consistency, but has too many options, IMHO.

I started on Facebook when it was called "The Facebook". It was for college kids only. Later they added highschool but it was separate. Once my grandma got on, I got off. Have not looked back since but I do like Market place. The deals are better then Craigslist anymore and you can somewhat do a background check on the folks your buying from or selling to.

I bailed on fb about a year and a half ago. I don’t care for the companies lack of ethics, etc. no other social media. I figure if someone wants to be in touch they can write, call or come visit. Now to get rid of gmail...:rolleyes:

My take on things is that FreakBook is for people who are not smart enough or are too lazy to research things and want to be hand held and/or spoon fed information or just simply want things as easily and/or cheaply as possible. I say this only as being an admin on a couple of facebook groups, some buy/sell/trade pages, and other information heavy groups, and it has caused me to make specific questions people must answer when they join in order to separate the knuckleheads and determine if they can read and follow instructions. It's not that I enjoy making it difficult, it's just that I don't have the time to police other's ignorance, so my pass fail method helps trim the trash before it ever makes it in the door.

That being said, I view facebook as a dumpster for such information and if I want details I will go to and search forums for those details. Generally speaking some of the forums I frequent are generally not just nerds sharing data but a group of similar minded folks that also tend to meet in real life (from time to time). We get an exchange of idea's not just in the information we share but also in the events that we attend and the friendships we develop, and while some facebook groups do that as well, it just seems to me that forums are a better place to catalog data, especially since Facebook search sucks to the ends of the earth.

On a forum, as an anonymous person, people can be more raw.
Not refering to you... I know there's a way to handle this grammatically with the you in brackets or something but I sucked at grammer. Now getting to my point.

Perhaps, until you meet face to face on a group ride. Then you realize that you better not have acted a fool.

Back