• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Looking for some constructive feedback about forums vs FB or other social platforms

Not refering to you... I know there's a way to handle this grammatically with the you in brackets or something but I sucked at grammer. Now getting to my point.

Perhaps, until you meet face to face on a group ride. Then you realize that you better not have acted a fool.

Sure, if you ever plan on meeting up.

The vast...VAST majority of people on forums never attend a get together. Even on this forum.

My point about "raw" certainly captures bad behavior online, but includes the spectrum from just able to be honest about arbitrary things all the way to the worst kind of online behavior.

The vast...VAST majority of people on forums never attend a get together. Even on this forum.

My point about "raw" certainly captures bad behavior online, but includes the spectrum from just able to be honest about arbitrary things all the way to the worst kind of online behavior.
And of course using the term raw, i automatically think of it negatively.

This may be true. It is one of the reasons that I have stressed trying to get folks out of the house and riding with other folks. However, I have never really been able to devote the time and resources to planning and organizing big rallies and events that might draw out more folks. I wish I could, but the job that actually pays my bills prevents that. I have wracked my brains trying to figure out how I could get away from what I do so that I can have more control over my time to devote to what I really enjoy, which is bringing people together in person to make lasting friendships through shared experiences.

I hear what you are saying about raw behavior and anonymity. It is one of the reasons I have always been unyielding in my demand for forum members to be civil or to move on to other pastures. That kind of raw behavior is a big part of what I dislike about so much social media, even on FB where you might not be anonymous.

This may be true. It is one of the reasons that I have stressed trying to get folks out of the house and riding with other folks. However, I have never really been able to devote the time and resources to planning and organizing big rallies and events that might draw out more folks. I wish I could, but the job that actually pays my bills prevents that. I have wracked my brains trying to figure out how I could get away from what I do so that I can have more control over my time to devote to what I really enjoy, which is bringing people together in person to make lasting friendships through shared experiences.

I hear what you are saying about raw behavior and anonymity. It is one of the reasons I have always been unyielding in my demand for forum members to be civil or to move on to other pastures. That kind of raw behavior is a big part of what I dislike about so much social media, even on FB where you might not be anonymous.

In a world where people have withdrawn into their technology, it is that same technology that does help in amazing ways when it comes to real experiences. An obvious example would be online dating. Sure, it has pitfalls but the ultimate goal is using technology to find something real....and it is working for lots of people.

When I was a lad and youthful man, at the end of the analogue world, my cosmos revolved around getting by, so I could, ride, race, and cough chase....

My riding community consisted of those I chanced upon. We had to organically grow, through word of mouth, our group endeavors. Not only would we meet on Wednesday at the coffee shop for the ride to bike night, but we would hang out there other days and sell the idea to all riders we could snare. Social organizations. of all kinds. had call trees. In order to make a call, you had to find a phone that was hardwired to the other phone. The dealership was always ground zero for the pulse of the community.

Those things still happen, but the internet means we can reach large swaths of humanity rather quickly and in the hours of our choosing. We can also create more finite groups and know something about the new people swinging the saloon doors open of our digital community.

I wandered away from my home, my beloved Central Texas. I rambled through many adventures and new horizons well beyond the Texas frontier. Then, a special point in my journey came and I had ample portent of my return.

Eschewing the curses of our connectivity, and embracing the blessings, I was able to find a new center of gravity for riding, even before my return. Sites like this one and others are gleaming beacons for those searching. Again, in the prior epoch, I would have had to seek out many happenstances to find my groups.

Or, for brevity, the Cliff Notes:

Online communities make real world stuff easier. I think we overlook that because we also get sucked into the Matrix and become withdrawn homebodies.

TWT is very much the anomaly amongst forums, I think must of us hang out here for the exact same reasons as you.

That’s absolutely why TWT is just about the only forum I use these days. I still visit ADV Rider and a golf forum if I need a bigger volume of information about something specific, but rarely post anything in either one. TWT is one of the few forums that almost always remains civil. I think it is because, in the grand scheme of things, it is has a pretty small user base, many of whom know each other in the real world.

I’ve never been on Facebook. I don’t want to be that accessible to people I casually know but don’t otherwise talk to. My thought has always been that if somebody I know wants to talk to me they can text or call. If they don’t have my number there’s probably a reason.

I use Twitter because I can do it anonymously. A few close friends know my Twitter account, and I’m met some really cool people in real life that I first met on Twitter, but you can’t just Google my name and find my account and my real name isn’t linked to it at all. Even people that know a lot about me haven’t been able to track me down on there, and that’s just the way I like it.

I wonder if part of the appeal for FB is the ability to have one platform where you can belong to numerous different groups according to your interests. All your alerts come to one place, everything has the same format, etc,... This is part of what the people that use Tapatalk like about it for forums.

That’s precisely why I use Tapatalk. It’s a one stop shop for the few forums I visit. It also puts them all into a format that is identical, so navigation is simplified among forums. To be totally honest, if Tapatalk had continued to not work after the forum switchover I probably would have disappeared from here.

I started on Facebook when it was called "The Facebook". It was for college kids only. Later they added highschool but it was separate. Once my grandma got on, I got off. Have not looked back since but I do like Market place. The deals are better then Craigslist anymore and you can somewhat do a background check on the folks your buying from or selling to.

The marketplace is the only thing that makes me occasionally wish I used Facebook, but that feeling never lasts long.

Pretty much use Facebook for the Marketplace, as others have said, amazing deals, actually where I have done my trading for my previous bike and the f650gs I have now, other than that, I hardly use it anymore, at least how it’s “supposed” to be used. Much prefer the forums mainly this one and ADV, plus whatever bike specific forum for the bike I have at the moment

This is about it for me for forums, one reason I like it here for the most part it doesn't get rude and profanity laced like other sites. And the folks I have actually met are top notch. I'll occasionally check TON, ADV RIDER, and Thumper Talk.

Facebook actually has an older demographic. The "kids" do not use it like their parents and grandparents do. The younger folks prefer simpler platforms that were designed around the smartphone.

I will be 44 (genX) this year my wife is 32 (Millennial). My age is about the absolute last age that could get out of college without the internet. I am known as an "adapter." and my wife went through high school with not only the internet but social media and it was essential for college. The way we use and approach social media was very different. I used it for a "quarterly update" and to see what old friends were doing....and only on one platform (FB) She, and pretty much all of her cohort and younger, use it as a diary, valid communication tool, news and a number of other things and it is natural for them. My wife and people her age and younger take selfies everywhere and post them. I always felt very uncomfortable taking selfies and had no interest in posting so much of my life.

Oddly enough, with the acting thing, I have been taught and pushed to adopt the social media habits of Millennials and younger.

Independent of that, as things like Facebook have matured, like I said in an earlier post, I find myself using/lurking their groups more and more. They really are a good resource.
Curious, where do the "kids" go now?

Curious, where do the "kids" go now?
I’m guessing I would be considered a “kid” (23) and most of the time I have found some on either meetup, Facebook, or even in person, though it seems many people around my age seem to be in the sportbike phase of their life, not really meshing with the general adventure attitude of this forum

I love forums. My first was for my wife's van. I was looking for how-tos for ignition issues. I found nice, step by step instructions with pictures on just about anything. Discussions on suspension, tires, etc. When I had a problem with my truck, that's where I went. Same thing with my ST1300. If and when I buy another vehicle, before I purchase, I will go comb through the forum to see what problems they have and look for ones for sale that are already farkled.
I am on FB and it is a love hate relationship. You can spend as much time as you want and use it in many different ways. I have Instagram, Snapchat, and Twitter, but I don't use them. For me, it's the same people, posting the same thing they posted on FB. My FB time is mainly keeping up with family and motorcycle related stuff. I like FB because I can see where people live, whereas forums tend to be too anonymous. I like TWT because I can see what city people live in. I am always trying to increase my riding buddy numbers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I tend to belong to forums that follow my current Interests. I am a member of a Goldwing Forum, BMW K1600 forum, KTM Forum and ADVRider, all motorcycle related. If I ever get over riding I will probably drop out of this and all those forums. I am also interested in Chess and belong to Chess.com. I hack at playing the guitar, so I belong to a couple guitar forums. Probably the most social media I belong too is Linkedin, to keep up with former colleagues and friends. YouTube is the place I go to find all manner of others experiences with interests or issues I may be having. For me, the positives of YouTube vastly outweigh the negatives. I'm sure I will always go to YouTube for something.

Like many, my bottom line is I want to be involved with the things I am interested. I am looking for two main things; ideas and people that I can share those with. Occasionally, I will visit forums with little decorum. But it's kinda like seeing a car wreck, I know I should just ignore the arguments, but I can't seem to turn away. And I don't mind a good argument occasionally, but tire quickly of exclusively argumentative discussions. THAT! is probably the main reason I leave social media forums.

TM,

Ok, I will bite. Yes, I use FB, but mostly to keep track of friends spread literally across the planet. And I get to see what is going on in the home town, etc. I hate a lot of the political and repetitive content, and I post lots of pictures of bunnies and poodles.

Site called Nexdoor put out "interests" and I checked motorcycles. From that a fairly close person put together a phone text list and he is trying to put together rides. So far they have had a couple, but I have not attended due to timing and or other issues. I do not like my phone going off constantly when the group is trying to decide on a ride.

This forum I have used to find a Monday morning breakfast group. We have endured since about last summer? And I have enjoyed the comradeship, so far no rides have sprung forth other than Sugar Land to Alvin and back. It is a classic positive outcome of a forum.

When I resumed riding about ten years ago, I joined a local, Houston motorcycle forum mostly populated by younger men. There was some superb content and I received a lot of useful safety advice (how to ride a freeway), and other tips. I never joined into a ride because it became very clear most riders were very ego driven, and the rides were wheelie tests and who could beat LEO? And with time it got more and more nasty with "internet courage" and I left for good.

Then there was a strictly Moto Guzzi forum: got interested in the bikes, and joined and learned a lot before buying my V7R. It was interesting, and I did meet a few local MG enthusiasts. Unfortunately, the forum Admins were very cliquish and when I did not travel for various riding/camping venues (I was not retired, and dealing with family health issues, etc)-- Admin began treating me with low respect. This went on a while, and I quit that forum.

I am a member of this forum, and a MV Agusta forum, and casually another Guzzi forum. All provide technical reference (where to get a MV fixed in Houston when dealer goes poof). Again with the MV I joined the forum to investigate the bikes before purchase.

Your "number one rule" is essential, and I congratulate you for that.

keep on going!

I am curious about the various social media platforms folks like to use and why?
When I start riding bicycles back in 2013, there were no group rides in my area. A buddy and I started a FB bicycle club for the town and today it has 579 members with multiple group rides a week. Using FB to rally people together essentially made my town a cycling town. I've made a lot of new local friendships based on that FB group.

I noticed when I started riding motorcycles last year, that there just aren't that many (non-Harley) motorcycle riders in my town. So, I tried the same thing and started an ADV/DS FB group for the area to try and promote more rides. Today, it has 51 members. Several of them are also on TWT. I did a pickup ride last weekend from it that was a blast. Conversely, there aren't that many people in my local area that are on TWT.

When I meet riders in my area, I tell them about the FB group and TWT. I think in every instance so far where that has happened, they only join the FB group if anything.

My thought is most people don't "do" online discussion forums, but most are comfortable with Facebook. Since that seems to be the case in my area, I typically have a better chance of doing a ride in my area with people from FB. TWT is a good resource for me to find rides in other areas though.

For instance, are you a member of a FB motorcycle group? If so what do you like about it versus using a forum (not just TWT, but any forums)? Is it the ability to have all local content in one place versus looking through a list of threads on a forum? Is it the ability to have non forum members see your content?

I'm a member of several FB motorcycle groups. The first thing I like about Facebook over forums are the names. Real names.

I've been to a bunch of TWT events and I still don't know who I've met. When I meet someone at pie run or something and they say their name is Dave, I have no idea who they are in relation to the forum. I usually then ask what their forum name is and get something like, "Oh, I'm BatmanNinjaRider5000, but I don't post much." And then after I leave I can't remember if Dave is BatmanNinja5000 or if Tom is SomeBikeIUsedtoRidein1972butNotToday or was that Fred. So, I basically can't remember who is who.

The other thing I like about FB is its more region based. There are several DFW and North Texas ride groups that post rides and events that I would have never known about. There is a bit more diversity there. I occasionally go jump in on a Harley ride or other non-ADV ride after asking if others are welcome.

I also get notifications when things are scheduled on FB. If someone posts a ride to a group, I don't have to go find it at some point, its there from the get go. And if I click that I'm interested in the event, it reminds me that the event is coming up soon.

Do you use Instagram? WhatsApp? Something else?
I use Instagram, but not really much for motorcycle stuff. I have to follow Twitter a bit for work as well.

I originally started TWT to help riders find other riders, to help create communities of riders, to help folks organizes rides, etc,... One thing I have noticed over the years though is that sometimes a group might start forming on TWT, but then they will sometimes move off to some other platform. It might even be something as simple as a texting list on their phones, not just sites like FB. Some just stop posting about their rides completely once they have a small group of folks. I guess they don't want any new comers?

I saw that with bicycles as well. I get it. You find people that you get along with, ride the same speeds, similar abilities, same area, etc. and then its easier just to group text them and set something up. In a bicycle group, if everyone is capable of and enjoys doing a 60 mile ride at 18 mph and someone shows up that can only go 28 miles at 13 mph, it kind of messes up everyone else's ride. People only have so much free time to get out and do their hobby and they like to do it with those that can match what they want to do most times.

Having led group rides and trips for cyclists for so many years, I've become a bit more understanding of people with different skill levels. I don't mind going out on a slower ride with other riders that may not have the skills to ride at the same speeds I like to go, but I understand why there are many that might not feel that way and would rather have a tight knit group of riders that match up well.

Stuff I Do Like about TWT over FB:

They may be declining as a medium, but I still like online discussion forums. As many others said, TWT is one of the more civil discussion forums I frequent. At this phase of life, I don't have much time or interest in drama/negativity, so I avoid online discussions where people are ripping into each other. I don't see any reason to get into that kind of stuff anymore. It serves no purpose that I can see. Of course, that happens on FB, but it's pretty easy to block that stuff out of your feed there. So finding a discussion forum like that these days is gold.

There is also a wealth of knowledge here and people that genuinely like to share it. That's pretty cool. I've learned a ton here and try to reciprocate where I can, although being one of the newer riders, I don't have that much info worth sharing typically. I also appreciate the folks that try and setup rides and events here. Dave's Arkansas Dirt ride last year was a perfect example of that. Kevin's Ft. Parker camping trip we did recently was another. Rod setting up Strom-A-Thon is awesome.

In general, I find TWT to be a great place to hang out. A recent work change for me is going to likely limit my time on TWT going forward, so my participation levels are about to drop to some degree. I plan on trying to stay active on here as much as possible though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use forums mostly for motorcycle related info but unfortunately the age of social media has pulled people away from forums. I'm a moderator on Dirtrider.net and have been from early on in its life as a forum. It's amazing how the amount of content has shrunk over the years to the point where is really just a shell of archive info. There are some that are still a little active on it but for the most part it is dead. Sad because a wealth of information about dirt bikes has withered away. We used to have industry people that participated and helped out members with issues or they would cover technical subjects in depth. Rich Rohrich could blind you with science as it pertains to fuel distillations and tuning. Some of the forums I'm on are still active and this have great information. Max Suzuki is definitely one. Even though I don't own a Bandit anymore I still get on there daily and will chime in on Bandit topics if I can add any value to the conversation.

I do not use Facebook anymore. I would go there to see what old and new friends are doing but people just don't share much of their own content/life any more. It's mostly people sharing other people's content and I'm not interest in that or all the **** ads. I do use Instagram. There is much less sharing of other people's content. I mostly use it to share the stuff I'm doing in metal arts. Most of who I follow on there are a few friends, a bunch of metal artists, some custom bike builders, some custom car/truck folks, and a few knife makers.

I deleted Facebook about 2 years ago. It causes to many issues in my opinion and if my friends and family want to keep up with whats going on in my life, they can pick up the phone and call. Best thing i ever did.
I like forums, they are more informal and the participants are knowledgeable. FB - you get all your friends drunk buddies commenting on everthing because they have nothing better to do.
Each their own - But the only social media type thing for me is TWT and Advrider.
Thank you - TourMeister and everyone else who helps keep this site going

From a different, longer term perspective, I think what has made this forum long lived and civil is that we meet each other. I'll admit it's been some time since I've made a pie run. There are at least six guys on this thread that I know personally and have either ridden with or met at a TWT related event. If you want to ride and meet new people, come up with a ride plan and post it up. I'm sure someone will want to get out this weekend.

I'm an old internet forum user...you know, like when AOL and dialup were new. I prefer forums. I go and look for the resource I need. From there, like I have done here, join in on larger group type things and from there I'll develop personal friendship with folks I've connected with and stay in touch via text. I don't use FB. I shut that down like in '12 and have not looked back. I don't do drama, or inexperienced opinions or judgeyness.

The people who have my # are people I let in (I'm an introvert and extended social interactions do use some battery life that I must recharge in solitude). I prefer a small group of core friends but I'm friendly and have a lot of extended friends and acquaintances. Plus who varies by activities. I have several hobbies and different buddies for each.

OMG, this is a social experiment...

I'm an old internet forum user...you know, like when AOL and dialup were new. I prefer forums.

I suspect this is a big part of it. I bet many of the regular posters here started using the Internet when things like AOL and discussion forums were what it was. And we like familiarity. I know SnapChat is a big thing among the young uns, but that app just don't make no **** sense to me.

I like the forum format. I can hunt up stuff, copy it, print it or re-read it as I desire. FB, while entertaining and useful for me, is just a noisemaker. I do spend a lot of time catching up with family and old friends on it, but if it fell off of the Earth tomorrow it would be no big loss. I remember back when we had e-mail strings before bulletin boards. I think the forum format is the best. I spent a lot of time in the past putting up how to stuff for motorcycles and found that it has been pretty useful.

The downside to the forum is that you have to be able to separate the wheat from the chaff. TWT, however, has been very useful and I have met a lot of nice folks here. I find the folks here to be friendly, honest and helpful in all ways I have encountered them. I have sold things, gone on rides, helped fix things and in general found folks to share my love of motorcycling.

I probably like the forums more because I do not use my iPhone for much besides calls, texting and weather.

I suspect this is a big part of it. I bet many of the regular posters here starting using the Internet when things like AOL and discussion forums were what it was. And we like familiarity.

I know SnapChat is a big thing among the young uns, but that app just don't make no **** sense to me.

View attachment 230162
lol yeah. I don't really get anything out of social media with an ADHD personality. There's no substance. And just like Doug mentioned, you can look up info as actual resource. Forums became online encyclopedias.

Forums have always been my go to I guess, started with KLR650.net and have bounced around. Tried advidrider but found a lot of rude people. I rarely think my opinion of a technical things is worth arguing over with strangers unless I feel life and limb are at risk. I still frequent more specific forums when I need detailed information but twt is my hangout place. I have really enjoyed everyone I have met and just enjoy the personality and Sense of humor of more folks on here.
I don't do well with information overload and simple well organized things link forums are the best for me. Constant feeds of information are the worst things for me. It's to much information to sort out.

I am a forums guy.

I have a Facebook account, created it back in '09 or so for a few contests and got like $60 out of it. I guess it is still active, but no idea.
I have a twitter account, again for similar contests/giveaways years ago. Guess it is still active as well?
I also have an instagram and snap-chat account, but just follow my kids. I have no idea how to really use them though.

I also am one that does not use a phone or tablet to surf the internet, I use an actual computer to do it. I hate small screens and can't stand not having a keyboard and large screen.

Back