• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Looking for some constructive feedback about forums vs FB or other social platforms

I tend to use all the forms I run across. Some more sparingly than others. It seems each have their pros and cons. FB for me is a free picture storage place and I can easily keep up with my overseas high school friends who are in many different parts of the world. This forum for finding trips that interest me and learning from others experience. WhatsApp for targeted groups and somewhat secured communication esp when outside the U.S.
For all forms I tend to come and go depending on what is going on in our live's.
BTW I like the new site here esp the ability to share a pic without resizing or taking from a storage site. Also allows you to "like" without writing a post and message. The upcoming events make it easy to check your calendar and see what possibilities may jibe with your schedule.
Social media is irritating at times but then I can remember times when you had to write a letter or make a long distance phone call to check on distant friends. In that respect it is very easy to message or share pics with my friends in say Tripoli Libya, or in Egypt.
My 2 cents

The forum is still there but a ghost town, MOOT > Magna Owners of Texas. Great group of guys who would get tother at Moot-Mag (Meet and Great) 4-5 day campouts/hotels campfire get together's. At the beginnings we would have over 50 or more, a coupl;e of years ago we had 18 and no one has headed up one since.
Why not try to move them to TWT with a special Magna Owners forum section? Give them a special invite? Make it easy for them to find. Maybe even give them a link. Just an idea. If it does not work, the forum admins could nuke it.

We REALLY need more riders on here that enjoy paved road trips as TWT is mostly dirt now. Magna Owners Welcome!!!

Last edited:
I guess but seems too needy and attention-getting to me......

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

I tend to agree. While I do not have an FB account, we do have a company page off my wife's account since in the old days (and maybe still true) you had to have a personal account first. Occasionally I do research on FB. The need for attention over the most trivial items is overwhelming. Personally, we have removed/unfollowed/or whatever you call it, many people from our(wife's) FB page because of mass of junk received.

Sometimes, a repeat in ADV might be justified if you are looking for additional comments over with TWT might offer.

We REALLY need more riders on here that enjoy paved road trips as TWT is mostly dirt now

It is strange. We used to have a ton of Sport-Touring riders posting here. There were lots of VFRs, Concours, FJRs, ST1100/1300s, etc... Many are still members, they just aren't real active. Even when they were active, they never seemed to be into doing ride reports as much as the dualsport folks. Then result being that most of the photos that show up in the header are of the dual sport rides. That said, the dual sport segment of the motorcycle industry has been one of the fastest growing for some years now and many forums are reflecting that change.

It is strange. We used to have a ton of Sport-Touring riders posting here. There were lots of VFRs, Concours, FJRs, ST1100/1300s, etc... Many are still members, they just aren't real active. Even when they were active, they never seemed to be into doing ride reports as much as the dualsport folks. Then result being that most of the photos that show up in the header are of the dual sport rides. That said, the dual sport segment of the motorcycle industry has been one of the fastest growing for some years now and many forums are reflecting that change.

I fully understand, but still wish we had more pavement beaters. My favorite reads are the Mexico trips (love to go someday) and the road trips - not that the other threads don't have some elements of both the former threads mentioned. I would just enjoy more of a mix hence my encouragement for smaller threads that are dying to post here in an effort to keep things going. Special invites by some notable member in these other forums just might do the trick. Who knows?

BTW Scott, you are doing a GREAT job and Thanks.

I am always open to other groups using the forum, much like the Bandit folks or the TARA people. All I ask is that you let me know beforehand. Ideally, if there is a person(s) I can talk to from the group, that helps get things setup. The only issue I could see from a different group's perspective is whether they really feel like they fall under the "Texas" banner. :shrug: The MOOT people wouldn't have that issue obviously.

The other thing is that current members should ALWAYS feel free to invite other riders to join the site. That has far more impact on membership than random people joining because they found the site via an internet search. I basically provide the platform for the community and loose guidelines, but the actual community building comes from the members. I can only do so much myself.

The other thing is that current members should ALWAYS feel free to invite other riders to join the site. That has far more impact on membership than random people joining because they found the site via an internet search. I basically provide the platform for the community and loose guidelines, but the actual community building comes from the members. I can only do so much myself.

That's what I am talking about - what you said.

I fully understand, but still wish we had more pavement beaters. My favorite reads are the Mexico trips (love to go someday) and the road trips - not that the other threads don't have some elements of both the former threads mentioned. I would just enjoy more of a mix hence my encouragement for smaller threads that are dying to post here in an effort to keep things going. Special invites by some notable member in these other forums just might do the trick. Who knows?

BTW Scott, you are doing a GREAT job and Thanks.
I believe that this site is pretty much spot on. Adv riding is the single segment of the motorcycle industry that is actually trending Positive in the USA. I joined back in 09 yet 99% of my posts have occurred in the last year. The reason being is that I joined when I had a street bike. There is a Huge difference between what many call "Dirt" and adv riding. Many people have cruised the highways on street bikes, but today, many of those people have found adv riding the unpaved roads and its a whole new ballgame. So many roads that were paved aren't anymore, or those that have been gravel or so-called dirt forever, gives a completely "New" and invigorating aspect as opposed to riding on the slab. The fact that this site is called "TWT" is whats important. There is something really special about taking an old road up the side of a mountain and crossing an old wooden bridge or stream that one could never do on a Goldwing. Something about camping in the wilderness with friends that you have shared the wilderness with. It's new and it's exhilarating to many. Then we have off-road, which for me is single track dirt bike only pure bliss.
Sorry for the Rant, but this site has increased my motivation to ride and connect with fellow riders......I Digress......time for a glass of wine.

I grew up dirt riding. The rougher the better. Our saying was if you did not crash and burn, you were not learning anything. Another was "when in doubt wring it out." That said, nothing really scares me off-road. You don't see me walking bikes up a hill or riding with my legs hanging down to keep from falling. I do appreciate that type of riding and kudos to those doing it.

I would like to do more adventure riding on a mix of roads and would like to do more camping. Bought a Wee in the Adventure package for the luggage and guards. It was one the dealer could not sell. Almost no miles on it and it is ashamed. But either my riding buddies have had health issues, I had health issues, or riding buddies have died - so little gets done. Of the people left, we can't seem to get our bodies medical condition in "ready state" at the same time. Maybe I need to find a larger group of friends? But.... I still like the road trips too. So, a mix is what I miss most. Believe me, I do read these threads, enjoy the pics, and wish.....

Back