• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Looking for some constructive feedback about forums vs FB or other social platforms

One thing I don't like about FB is open groups.

If you post a comment in an open group, anyone who is your friend on FB can (and will likely) see that comment on their feed.

The solution to that is closed groups, but then the info in the group is not accessible to non members. Most admins that want to grow their group don't want it "hidden" in that way.

I agree there as well. Most of my facebook friends have no interest in motorcycles. They look at my motorcycle pics and movies because they're family or friends, but they really don't care to see me trying to plan a ride this weekend. On the other hand, I guess I shouldn't care, but for the same reason I would walk out of the room if I was talking about a weekend ride and the people in the room were not motorcycle people.

a huge hassle with the off topic forum with the "big kids" password.

That is no longer in place since the upgrade to XF from vB.

I JUST noticed the like function here...what does it do?

Same thing it does on FB. If you "like" a post, the author of the post gets an alert. I don't have it set to display at the moment, but that is another item that can be made to show over under your avatar. It is already on your user profile and anyone can see it. It is called the "reaction score".

You can see it here as well,

Last edited:
I think forums based sites are superior in the ability to store and search for helpful info and conversation. You’re also not bound to the same terms of service and rules of behavior of the particular master platform you would host on with Twitter, YouTube and Facebook, which constantly tweak slightly and frequently which sometimes results in clusters of user content and commentary possibly becoming a liability overnight.

Yeah you have to manage it all yourself but you can tailor your community platform, whatever the topic, to its needs to keep everyone interacting in a friendly way. I’m not seeing that on the big catchall platforms and they’ve proven over and over again they’re as much a tinderbox for hate and controversy as they are for connecting people.

I find forums easier to use than Facebook. I don't know how many times I've seen something interesting on FB and then couldn't find it again. Especially on the phone- sometimes I swap to email and then back to FB, so the screen refreshes just as I was about to open something, and now it's gone! The few groups I've joined seem hard to keep up with - nothing seems to make sense to me with how things are ordered. Where I expect chronological order I get something else, and again, I don't ever seem successful searching for something I saw earlier.

I don't know, hard to be specific to why, but I have so far never participated (in real life) in anything I found on Facebook. I did join Jarrett's NT ride group, so that may change.. but I'm also in a couple of other local groups for dirt bikes and dual sport- but I never see anything until too late, or I can't tell what the heck is going on so I don't want to join.
It's so frustrating to see something and not be able to return to it. I usually see something cool just as I click off. Grrrr

It's so frustrating to see something and not be able to return to it. I usually see something cool just as I click off. Grrrr

They do have a "save link/video" feature now so if it is a link to a URL or video, you can save for later viewing.

I do it constantly on FB, then review them all when I get time.

They do have a "save link/video" feature now so if it is a link to a URL or video, you can save for later viewing.

I do it constantly on FB, then review them all when I get time.
Its usually catching eye after I already clicked off.

One of the themes running through this is that a lot of people are leaving social media in general or focusing their social media use to those outlets/people who are aligned with their ideas and beliefs. I'm sure a lot of the younger set will be forever glued to their twitter or whatever comes next, but for us older folks who lived without it before and can do so again, the idea of a hostile social media environment means living without. At the risk of beating a dead horse, FB and other social media outlets are focused on WHO is using them, not WHAT they are about. I can't say that as long as TWT sticks to motorcycling in Texas it will have a strong following, but that is why I'm here, and maybe some others, too.

Having run out of high speed Data on my phone a few days ago, I am still happily viewing TWT. I have unlimited 2g after I run out and I would not dare get on a typical social media platform as they are insane data hogs. As long as I stay away from ride reports and the sale section I will do fine till I get more data.

Forums - 1
social media - 0

In all these things, it is really up to the people who use it. Social media or forums can both be a bad experience or a positive one depending on how you use it and who you associate with.

I was very much into Facebook until it went south. Honestly, I was using it for two main purposes in the beginning around 2009; to find people I'd lost touch with over the years and to promote my creative endeavors (such as spreading the word about shows I was playing, my design work, video projects, etc.).

As Facebook continually morphed its algorithms, it became harder to use it for self-promotion. Facebook wants everyone to pay for that feature now, so anything it detects as such gets de-boosted. The same now goes for the newsfeed. You don't see what you want to see, you see what Facebook wants you to see. For those reasons and the recent privacy scandal, I've greatly reduced my use of it at the personal level. The same goes for Instagram (now owned by Facebook), which has become rife with ads and adverse algorithms. I currently have about 3,000 Facebook friends (after purging about 1,000 last year) and 2,000 Instagram followers, but the engagement for both is generally about five percent or less.

I continue to be active on YouTube for the time being, but they are making it harder than ever to grow my channel and earn revenue. I'm currently at a little over 10,000 subscribers on YouTube with an engagement of around 8 percent.

In my opinion, all these platforms are squashing anything that doesn't match with their socio-political and business models, which is finally creating backlash among average users.

This is where places like TWT might have the opportunity to bounce back in the wake. I like TWT because it is more 'local' and specific to my life interests, if that makes sense. It's primarily a bunch of friendly motorcyclists within several hundred miles of my location sharing useful information on a regular basis. It is also comprised generally of people I identify with culturally, which counts for a lot. Everyone is also equally visible on TWT. I think forums might make a comeback over the next few years for that reason alone. TWT is a place where we don't have to worry about being de-boosted or shadow-banned. So long as we post according to the established rules, one user's post is just as visible as another's.

I enjoy your vids Tim, keep up the good work! I actually have the same paint scheme on my 2010 Wide Glide as your buddy in the vids does, I enjoy seeing him ride in and whip out the jiffy stand when you guys stop to lookey loo around :mrgreen:

I enjoy your vids Tim, keep up the good work! I actually have the same paint scheme on my 2010 Wide Glide as your buddy in the vids does, I enjoy seeing him ride in and whip out the jiffy stand when you guys stop to lookey loo around :mrgreen:

Heh-heh, roger that. I'll definitely keep making the vids. I've found that they have essentially become a bit of video diary or journal of my riding life. I just wish YouTube had some competition. It'd be good for all content creators.

Heh-heh, roger that. I'll definitely keep making the vids. I've found that they have essentially become a bit of video diary or journal of my riding life. I just wish YouTube had some competition. It'd be good for all content creators.

Maybe I missed it, but what’s the link or keyword to your utube?

One of my other favorite forums, Bike Specific Texas forums whom we did a lot of rides together and yearly get togethers, close knit group is dead and most have moved to a facebook account a member opened many years ago with the same name as the forum. Far more active but I don't like it. I don't care for the facebook format but many seem to participate. I don't know how to stop it or move people back to the forum.

One of my other favorite forums, Bike Specific Texas forums whom we did a lot of rides together and yearly get togethers, close knit group is dead and most have moved to a facebook account a member opened many years ago with the same name as the forum. Far more active but I don't like it. I don't care for the facebook format but many seem to participate. I don't know how to stop it or move people back to the forum.

Would that be Rally Up?

I remember that place from many years ago and When I went looking for it last year....poof it is gone.

The forum is still there but a ghost town, MOOT > Magna Owners of Texas. Great group of guys who would get tother at Moot-Mag (Meet and Great) 4-5 day campouts/hotels campfire get together's. At the beginnings we would have over 50 or more, a coupl;e of years ago we had 18 and no one has headed up one since.

No Social Media for me. Forums only. Mostly ADV and TWT unless I am looking for bike specific information.

Having run out of high speed Data on my phone a few days ago, I am still happily viewing TWT. I have unlimited 2g after I run out and I would not dare get on a typical social media platform as they are insane data hogs. As long as I stay away from ride reports and the sale section I will do fine till I get more data...

I sometimes find the opposite of this to be true when traveling abroad. I buy local prepaid SIM cards and depending on country/mobile provider Facebook gives you unlimited free data. So a cheap prepaid phone load will never expire based on your FB data usage.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Also I'm curious why people see the need to duplicate post and cross post so much on different platforms.

I've seen exact identical posts here on TWT, Advrider.com, bike model specific forum, TWT Facebook, Facebook group and Facebook personal page. Who knows probably on Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, etc. and others but I don't do those.

Also I'm curious why people see the need to duplicate post and cross post so much on different platforms.

I've seen exact identical posts here on TWT, Advrider.com, bike model specific forum, TWT Facebook, Facebook group and Facebook personal page. Who knows probably on Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, etc. and others but I don't do those.

Different forums/groups certainly have different cultures. I get why people cross post. You will get different kinds of answers and more answers.

There is also a reality that such things are social and posting in more places provides more interaction.

Different forums/groups certainly have different cultures. I get why people cross post. You will get different kinds of answers and more answers.

There is also a reality that such things are social and posting in more places provides more interaction.
I guess but seems too needy and attention getting to me. The overlap is huge, up to 80-90% common members on some. It makes me want to stick to a single platform as I dislike seeing/filtering the same content. Hence back to Scott's original question, so found my answer.

special interest forums provide useful content for actually learning things.

Social media reminds me of hallways in high school...bragging, posturing and drama.

plus it's become the official gathering place for the "offended masses"

no thanks...

Last edited:
Back